Forums are back in action! ×

Overcoming old injuries (Q:Weather sensitivity?)

Aaaaand so the temperature drops while I have the windows open.

This time of year is a little tough (If I can get through this, I can get through anything!) in terms of the environment affecting my joints.

We have an interesting winter here. Unlike the more lakeside cities, its dry. Dry and cold. You know when they talk about bitter unforgiving winds? Third coldest in the world last year - before wind chill. Yay valleys and wind tunnels!

More pertinently, I'm looking to find a way (that doesn't include moving) to work around an old injury that swells in response to

...well, I've been told its either barometric pressure changes that accompany this weather or just the temperature itself.

Usually this time of year, I either slather on the A-535 or use my handy dandy heating pad. (which isn't very mobile. I need to stay productive!) Warm showers work, but don't really last long.

I've tried wrapping it (Ace/Tensor or the kind that holds a hot pack near it, this kind of reduces my range of motion and have seldom been effective.

I know this may push rebellion rule #1, to worry about where we come from, but... This is about overcoming!

If you've had similar experiences, what works for you?

If your experiences are different, share them! Who knows who may have something like yours? Help them overcome it! Perhaps we can build up some resources!

I was about to say "You think YOU know cold!", then I saw your location. *cough*.

My aunt has this problem from a few joint injuries from her youth (she was a bit of a wild woman). I gave her a call and she says "It lessens after a while, but never really goes away. It isn't arthritis in the joint, we know that, it only hits when the barometer changes. Best treatments I've found is <pairing pain medication> with increasing bloodflow to the joint. Hot baths, heat packs, stretching, epsom salts. My doctor told me about an injection you can get if the pain is bad but I've never tired it. I did physio for a while and it seemed to help a bit."

If you want to try the "increase bloodflow" angle, I know:

citrus fruits thin the blood a wee bit.

Cayenne and turmeric both increase bloodflow, and turmeric has anti-inflamatory properties, so might be ideal. Mmmm, indian food every few days.

Ginger might also help. But I think ginger helps everything.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Haha yeah, Ginger and Garlic are good for almost everything!

Friend of mine and I were comparing temperatures last year, apparently we get weather close to what's in Alaska, despite our differences in latitude. Things are still pretty close between Edmonton an the Mac, perhaps its similar to Cal?

That makes sense, overall. I might as well work to combine as many bloodflow+ and anti-inflammatory foods as possible. (anaphylactic citrus allergy :( )Plus its good to know that it may really be the barometric pressure. Since that's a measure of pressure, there's nothing I can think of to really... protect from it. Gotta work around it. I've never tried epsom salts before. As I understand its used while in a bath?

In addition to application of heat, perhaps I could work on isolated massage! That's supposed to increase bloodflow. :3

Any other things that people have trouble working around?

Cal is better and worse than Edmonton and Fort Mac. We get the chinooks, which makes the temperature go up 20 degrees in an hour and keeps it there for several days, but imagine what that does to the air pressure. Guarunteed migrane, if you're prone to that sort of thing!!

Yup, epsom salts are put in a hot bath. I really dont know much else about them, but I use them when I'm very sore and an epsom salt soak does wonders.

In terms of workarounds, I actually have a question for The Group:

Am currently working around an arm injury. Fractured both elbows, so I can't lift heavy weights or even do upper body BW strength. I can start slooowly building up in 2 more weeks or so (ugh, back to knee pushups! X_X), but in the meantime, lots of running, standing yoga poses, jumping and lower body BW strength. I am, however, very distressed at the loss of upperbody muscle. Can anyone think of any upperbody work that doesn't require the elbows? Yeah, I know it's a long-shot.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

How long ago are we talking? Which part of the elbow (Humerous/Ulna/Radius? or specifically, Olecranon?) Also, did you need surgery for it? It sounds like you're about... 1 month in?

IANAD but...

Generally, recovery takes 4 months overall. Minor motion exercises should be started right away, provided the 3 actual joints are not affected by the means of splinting. Lifting is typically restricted for 6 weeks, and is re-introduced gradually. Recovering strength, sadly, can take over 6 months, depending on how each individual body effectively heals. Heavy labor isn't indicated until after this time en minim.

How can you do upper body? Its not particularly as efficient but exercises with Thera-bands and weight bands would be a way to start. I'll post some stuff below. (I might edit it until I get all the ones I can think of on the page.

Minor Motion Exercises - again, IANAD.  Since both of your elbows were affected, these exercises may be difficult to do by yourself. There are ways around this though!Similar to wrist curls: Wrist flexor stretch - Arms straight, palms together (one palm up, one down);  use one hand to press down on your fingers and palm (Gently!) You would, in doing this effectively be practicing the opposite with your other hand.  Hold 3-5 seconds, relax 3-5 seconds.  Do 10 times for a set.  Do a set at different points throughout the day.  Typically, 1 set 3 times a day.Wrist Extensor stretch - Arm straight, palms together (one palm up, one down); use one hand to press up on your fingers and palm (Gently!).  Hold 3-5 seconds, relax 3-5 seconds.  10/set, 3 sets/day.Rotation exercise:Pronation/Suppination stretch (Affects proximal radial-ulnar joint) - arm straight out, hand shaped like shaking a hand.  Rotate between palm up and palm down positions, holding 3-5 seconds at each point of maximum rotation.  10/set, 3 sets/day. When the Dr. clears you for light lifting, try using a weighted wrist band or similar weights to increase the difficulty.Upper arm muscles:  These can be done with the assistance of a person or a door frame.Tricep stretch - one hand behind head (prisoner style), grasp elbow and GENTLY pull towards midline until stretch is felt.  Hold 3-5, relax 3-5.  10/set, 3 sets/day.With a person:  Have them push/pull your arm towards midline.With a door frame: Rest your arm against one side of the frame, just below the middle of your humerous.  Slowly rotate your body towards the arm until stretch is felt.Bicep stretch - arms raised to shoulder height, palms up.  Stretch arms backwards until stretch is felt.With a person:  Have them push/pull your arms towards the posterior.With a door frame:  Rest your arms along the vertical braces of the frame. (Only attempt if your elbows will not hurt during this motion.  If they do/would, return to your arms being straight out.) Step into/through the frame only as much as needed to provide a stretch.  Narrower frames make this stretch more effective.  It will also stretch (when done properly/sufficiently) your pectoral muscles.Can also attempt the motion in reverse of the Tricep stretch.