Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for feedback on my my New and Improved Fitness Plan™

After a fun, relatively successful two months of losing weight and getting healthier, I think it's time to step it up a notch. I've been focusing on cardio (45+ minutes on the elliptical) and occasional weights thus far, but now I want to employ what I've learned and buckle down with my New and Improved Fitness Plan. Can y'all give me some feedback on it?

Tomorrow, I start the Couch to 5K program. I think I may be advanced enough that I don't really need to start at the first level, but I want to be sure I don't do too much too soon and set myself back with another shin splint. It's a 9-week, 3-days-per-week program, so I'll be doing it on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That leaves 2 more weeks of training before my 5K on Dec. 3. I'll need those extra weeks to focus on uphill and downhill running, since it is a bridge race, so I really can't afford to get behind in this training at all. On my off days, I will be doing weight training and cardio in the gym, because I know I need to become a better athlete to become a better runner. (Also need to continue losing weight, as every pound I lose makes it easier to run.)

Thus, my weekly schedule will look like this:

Sunday - upper and lower body strength training, 25 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike)

Monday - C25K training

Tuesday - upper body strength training, 25 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike)

Wednesday - C25K training

Thursday - lower body strength training, 25 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike)

Friday - C25K training

Saturday - Off day/do something fun

Any suggestions? Is this too much cardio? Is it enough weights? Would love some input!

The rain on my chest is a baptism. I am born again.

I'll need those extra weeks to focus on uphill and downhill running, since it is a bridge race, so I really can't afford to get behind in this training at all.

I recommend that you replace your 25 minutes of cardio at the end of each strength training session with some interval drills.

Intervals and running up hills actually have a lot in common, cardiovascularly, so you'll be gaining that uphill skill. Plus you'll find them more effective for your "lose 20 lbs" goal than just doing routine cardio.

Do 1 minute easy, followed by 1 minute hard, 2 minutes easy, 1 minute hard, 2 minutes easy, etc. until you've done hard 5 times. This can be on the treadmill, elliptical or bike. An example would be:

- 1 minute @ "3" on treadmill

- 1 minute @ "6"

- 2 minutes @ "3"

- 1 minute @ "6"

- 2 minutes @ "3"

- 1 minute @ "6"

- 2 minutes @ "3"

- 1 minute @ "6"

- 2 minutes @ "3"

- 1 minute @ "6"

- 2 minutes @ "3"

The "hard" intervals should be harder than your C25K training is currently at. Write down at whatever level you choose, and every time you go to the gym, increase 2 of the intervals by a step. For example, maybe running at the 6.5 level for the last two reps. The next time, maybe 6/6.5/6.5/6.5/6.5, then maybe 6.5/6.5/6.5/6.5/7, etc. Always pick two to increase.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I recommend that you replace your 25 minutes of cardio at the end of each strength training session with some interval drills.

Intervals and running up hills actually have a lot in common, cardiovascularly, so you'll be gaining that uphill skill. Plus you'll find them more effective for your "lose 20 lbs" goal than just doing routine cardio.

Awesome idea! Thank you!

I think it's perfectly fine, to be honest. That combined with a great diet will get you the results you want.

When training for a half marathon last Spring I did strength training 3 days a week - traditional heavy lifting...

And running 3-4 days a week.

So, similar deal.

Dropped weight and maintained strength pretty well. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/Zima1349/more.php?section=progresspics

2nd picture from the top was the day of the half marathon.

If you're looking to lose fat, doing that cardio after weights like you're doing now is a good thing - supposedly that's when your body can burn more fat. Don't ask me to find the articles and studies right now though, I just did legs and cardio before and after and can't be bothered :P

I hear great things about doing interval style cardio catpaw suggested as well. Try it and see how you like it. It might help your speed too - when you run track they coach you to do sprints when you need to build speed. Interval training is similar, and supposedly good for fat burning.

You'll learn this.. but I wouldn't do a leg workout the day before my longest run.... just my advice.. I know programs typically have you run the longest near the end of the week and that might hurt you... Just be careful because you are working a lot on your legs... running will take a toll, so if you start to have tired legs, I would think of changing the lower body workout..

Also if you have access to a treadmill there is a great hill HIIT workout (by the time you need it, you'll be in good shape) that I love to do. Also HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a quick workout that gets great results. From my understanding those types of workout have a longer after burn. I know that I drip with sweat not even 5 minutes into the workouts. I highly suggest incorporting that into a workout (after your training). It will help you burn fat. They should only be done around 2 times a week. I rotate between 2 HIIT and I do it once a week.

it goes like this:

warm up..

run for 30 seconds at your normal pace..

then completely off for 30 seconds..

up the speed by .3 and the incline by .5

do this until you can't anymore..

then drop it back to your comfortable speed and 0 incline..

jog until you have recovered..

then start with the last numbers you had and work your way down..

again doing the 30 seconds on 30 seconds off.

The 30 seconds off in the beginning you'll feel like 'this is a waste' but by the time you get to the top you think' 30 seconds isn't long enough!'

Let me know if you have questions.

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

I think it's perfectly fine, to be honest. That combined with a great diet will get you the results you want.

Thanks for the feedback! I've never had a real "plan" to guide my workouts (I think for fear of breaking it and getting discouraged), so it's pretty exciting to have come up with something that could work!

You'll learn this.. but I wouldn't do a leg workout the day before my longest run.... just my advice.. I know programs typically have you run the longest near the end of the week and that might hurt you... Just be careful because you are working a lot on your legs... running will take a toll, so if you start to have tired legs, I would think of changing the lower body workout..

Yeah...good call. I *think* the C25K program only levels up on Mondays, but I could be wrong about that. Definitely worth switching things around to save my quads!

Thanks for HIIT advice! I definitely want to try that!

OK, I'm resurrecting this thread as it's been almost a month and I'm reevaluating the fitness plan again. Since last I wrote, my weight loss has gotten along steadily and now I'm over half-way to my goal weight (19 lb. to go). W00t! I'm also getting steadily stronger and better at running, so thanks for all the good advice the first time around on this!

Even though this is working for me, I was thinking about stepping up my game even more by incorporating circuits into my weight training days, rather than just doing set after set with no intensity. If I did this, should I then cut out the 25 minutes of interval cardio I do afterward? Also, I can't yet do pull-ups or full push-ups or dips...basically all of the obvious exercises for circuits. Would doing modified versions of these still be as beneficial?

The other change I was thinking about was in the running. I'm doing great with C25K and enjoying it, but most days I feel like it's not pushing me hard enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to ease into running so I can avoid shin splints and other amateur hour mistakes, but I was wondering if I could start trading one of the three running days for an interval workout with sprints. As I understand it, this would burn a lot more fat than my regular, lower intensity jogs do. Would a day of sprints help or hinder my training toward my 5K (Dec. 3)? Do you think C25K will still "work" if I'm just doing two of the three days per week?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! You guys are awesome. :)

Guest Carjack

Want more intense cardio in the gym? Do finishers.

Finishers are something you can brutalize yourself with for a few minutes at the end of a workout. They can be throwing medium weight overhead many times without much in the way of rest (interval training), barbell and dumbbell complexes, rowing, jumping up and down, carrying weights all over the gym, all kinds of things.

Today my finisher was lots of one arm snatches of an empty bar.

interval training will help - it helps improve strength and speed. here's a good article about it: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244--9809-0,00.html. and intervals will only get easier as you continue to strength train.

runner's world is extremely helpful, by the way, with pretty much any kind of running goal/question you'll have.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.