Forums are back in action! ×

I have been around Nerd Fitness for about a year in stealth mode, using the  resources and learning, but am just now engaging with the community. Hi!

As a young person, I was very active and in great shape, focused on serious ballet study and running cross country. Fast forward to my mid-40s, after decades of working crazy hours, traveling for work, pursuing advanced degrees, and teaching...and more hours of WoW than I like to admit...I found myself in mushy shape and needing to find some work-life balance. I looked and felt like a middle-aged college administrator. Ugh.

About 18 months ago, I read Chris Crowley's great book "Younger Next Year for Women" and decided it was time to change. I started running on a treadmill and built up to a regular schedule of cardio and stretching. I was intimidated to run outside (old knees), but faced that fear this past spring and absolutely love to run outside at dawn 3 to 4 times a week. I ran my first 5K in June, and it was a blast!

When I started running, I also started lifting and was seeing results. Let myself get derailed in the winter by a neck injury and flu. While I continue to run, I'm trying to rebuild that lifting habit.

Finally, and probably most importantly, I completely changed my diet. Nerd Fitness and Paleo Hack have been really helpful. Off simple carbs (for me, mostly grains and white potatoes), off sugar, and working on getting off dairy (but, oh, how I love cheese!) Eating lots of veggies and proteins. Since I eat out a lot for work, the best advice I have ever received: "Just make the best choice you can in the moment and let it go." Words to live by.

So my goals: I'm about 5'9" and 145 lbs, having taken off 20 lbs since I started. I hope lifting will help me get back down below 140. I want to continue to run while building strength and flexibility.

I'll be in Nerd Fitness Camp in September. :)

Viva la Revolution & Go Horde!