Forums are back in action! ×

First 5K - Complete!

Bright and early on Sunday morning, I headed to downtown to partake in my first ever 5K run. It was a beautiful morning, and I joined over 16,000 energetic and excited people ready to run the 5K or half-marathon.

Posted Image

My goal was to just finish the race, but I'd also set a goal for myself to finish the run in under 35 minutes. My personal best on my own runs was about 36 minutes, and I'd heard I would probably knock a bit off of that with all the energy and excitement of the actual race.

After the Howitzer fired, I waited and waited until my section finally made it up to the starting line - I didn't realize it'd be nearly five minutes between the starting gun fire and when I actually was able to start... how anticlimactic! :P

Posted Image

It was a great day to appreciate the scenic route around Parliament Hill and along the Rideau Canal, although I was usually too distracted trying to navigate through the droves of people to enjoy it!

As I approached the finish line and heard all the cheering, it gave me that final boost of energy I needed just as a side-stitch was setting in - and past the finish line I went. I received my awesome dog-tag from a member of the Canadian Army and wore it proudly the rest of the day.

Posted Image

Oh, and about beating my 36 minute record?

Chip time: 32:13. :D

One thing I unexpectedly discovered was that getting to meet, learn about and support the members of Canada's Army was almost as rewarding as the run itself.

THANK YOU to everyone who offered me support and advice to prepare for this run. You guys are awesome!

Woot!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

CONGRATS shortkaik!!! this is so epic, and i'm so glad to hear it was such a success! looks like it was a beautiful day with TONS of people! you totally nailed it and should be absolutely thrilled with how you did. keep rockin' it.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.