Forums are back in action! ×

Hi all,

I've been avidly reading the articles on the site for a little while now, so I'm taking the plunge.  My name is Matt, I'm a games tester in the UK and I'm 30.  I've been going to the gym for about 2 years now and been following some routines, but nothing seems to have been working for me.  Also, the more I read about training, the more confusing it feels like it's getting.  Until I found Nerd Fitness that is.  Everything here is so stripped back and down to earth, with results to show for it.

I'm 5'9" and 10.5 stone (about 146 pounds) and in relatively good shape.  Ideally, I'd like to (eventually) get stronger overall and more muscular, and get down to the 10-12% body fat mark. I've got a few inspirations for me.  I have a friend called Peter who is an absolute machine.  The other day I was in the gym with him and watched him push out a few personal bests (180KG deadlift and 120KG back squat).  If I could end up getting to that level of strength, I'd be very impressed.  The other inspiration I have is a celebrity one (cliche I know), which is Stephen Amell who plays Oliver Queen in Arrow.  The commitment he's seems to put into his training for the role is truly impressive.

So, that's me more or less.  I've gone with the Warriors guild as that seems to be my goal for the moment, because there isn't a specific Green Arrow category (can you tell I'm a fan).  I'm also signing up for Men's Fitness 101 as soon as I get paid and finally getting my ass into gear.

Wish me luck and sorry for the long post,

Matt.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard!

And welcome to the Iron game as well. As you have probably seen on the forums already a proven path to strength is going with either Strong Lifts or Starting Strength and to EAT ALL THE FOOD(especially the protein). I was in a similar situation the first time I went to gym in that I had a friend that was way ahead of me(he still is, by far) but the chase is so much fun! -Aim to surpass him and then give him something to chase in return!

Lincarte - Level 3 - Dwarf Warrior 

Str: 7 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 6 | Wis: 3 | Cha: 5

Squat - 120(~265 lb.) | Bench - 95(~209lb.) | Deadlift - 190(~419 lb.) | Total: 405(~893 lb.)

PvP:The 800 club - Daily Battle Log - #3, #2, #1