Forums are back in action! ×

The 'Meh' and the Workout Cure

This past Thursday, I pulled my left achilles tendon. While nothing major in terms of pain, it was too tight to run on without fear of injury and this prompted me to take a few days off of running and working out. This, combined with a heavy school load and the change of seasons brought for the the beast I call Meh. Meh isn't just mental, it's physical, too. Headaches, anxiety, restless sleep, nightmares, just to name some of the worst offenders that accompany the Meh.

This is something I've always had to deal with, and likely something I always will. I spent years on various drugs to help combat this, but overall they just left me feeling like half a zombie with side effects like weight gain, insomnia, and flat-out bitchiness. Recnetly, I've found a cure, though. While not a perfect cure, it's amazing. What is this wonder drug, you ask? Weights. Weights, and running, and diet.

Lifting makes me feel better about myself, gives me energy, and helps with the lack of sleep. Running gives me meditation time which lowers my anxiety and resulting headaches. Diet keeps me energized and healthy. But, why do I say it's not perfect if it cures all my woes? Because it's hard.

Some days when the worst of the Meh is upon me like a starving dog, it's everything I can do just to get the bare minimum done. Other days it's a roller coaster of highs and lows, and I pray I can get a workout in during one of my up moments and that it lasts long enough before the next low comes up. But just getting that workout in does wonders. It might take a few days of consistent hard workouts, but I slowly dig myself out from under the Meh and get back on my feet.

So, next time you're down, or feeling 'off', or like your world is on the verge of collapsing, hit the gym. Don't do it for the strength, don't do it for the weight loss, do it for your mind. I promise, no matter how hard it is to just get yourself to the gym, the yoga mat, or to lace on your running shoes, it'll help. So, without sounding too much like a Nike commercial: Just do it. You'll thank yourself for it.

The only answer to "You can't do that" is "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED."

Fitocracy|Twitter|Food Blog

Well put, Exceliber! I struggle with the Meh as well, and have found the same. The best, the ONLY cure, is to get yourself moving and keep moving. The moment you have a spare ounce of energy, go. The moment you are the least bit excited or optimistic about your workout, go. The moment you aren't standing in your own way, just go, and don't stop. You will thank yourself.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins