Forums are back in action! ×

Big data + algorithm = best workout programs? (feedback on concept)

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue this idea I have around making exercise more fun & effective. So before I go and think of a name, buy a domain name, and write a blogpost, I thought it would be wise to test the waters first. Here are some high level ideas:

* We analyze the millions of workouts posted all across the internet

* We analyze the data to find the most effective programs

* We recommend a program specifically for you, which:

- Has already worked for other people most similar to you

- Be the most effective (results)

- Be the most efficient (time)

- Be the most fun [highest successfully completed workouts] (fun)

* We'll tell you exactly which exercises to do, how much weight to use, and how many reps to perform.

* Real workouts. Real people. Real results.

If this is something you either love or hate, can you help us understand how you currently workout with this quick questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1IstWa0lPrfYvs8Lf4AjCOIW4jUOSC8mgxHoKtzf2jr4/viewform or if writing a quick comment is faster, we'll read them all!

Note: I could also even do some statistical analysis on what the most "successful" programs are and any other interesting facts after crunching some data if that sounds cool?

The only problem I see with this is that there are really only about a dozen exercise programs that work. Everything else is just marketing and variations on the same theme. This of course is when you are talking about general populations. It become different when you get individual cases because individuals have different weaknesses that cannot be addressed with a general program. 

While it may make you money because people will buy anything for the sake of fitness, I don't see how a big data set will improve upon the process except by slapping some shiny numbers and statistics on things. 

Also to add how would you select where you pull your data from? The internet is rife with "success" stories about 10 minute abs. Just from the sheer volume alone it would skew the results and make the set almost unmanageable because of all the out right lies about success there are.  

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle