Forums are back in action! ×

cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

2/10/15

Warm UP

3x 10 PVC pass throughs + 5 Band Pull Apart + 5(air squat, OHS with plate, PVC OHS)

Strength/Skill

Overhead Squat 1/4, 1/2, FULL, FULL = 1 rep

45, 2x55, 2x65, 75

I suck at these. My balance is still way off. I ended up having to bail on the second attempt at 75. Its all arm position, I almost fell forward. This is all skill work though so everybody was focusing on light weight. You had to do the rep perfectly before you could increase the weight. 

WOD

For Time

Row 500m

50 Wall Balls

25 Burpees

time  - 8:53 This is the same as one I did a few weeks ago. I managed to up the reps to prescribed and shave off time. Still had some heavy breathing issues.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2/12/15

Warm Up

Odd 20 Single Unders

Even (5 Burpees, 5 Air Squats, 5 Push Ups, 5 Lunges, 5 Ring Rows)

This was done twice

Strength/Skill

Push Ups, every 90 seconds

6,5,4,3,2 I did a warm up set of 5 right before, and I think that attributed to the lower reps. Im still having issues keeping my core engaged throughout them. But I also found that I need to focus on my hand position more to really ensure good quality reps. We go down far enough so that the chest and hips MUST touch the ground. 

WOD

EMOTM

Odd, Barbell complex {1 Deadlift, 2 Clean Pull, 2 Hang Power Clean, 1 Front squat}

Even 10 toes to bar

Everything felt pretty good, could really feel the T2B near the end. But I should have went heavier with the barbell.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2/13/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope

2x 5 KB Swing + 5 Goblet Squat + 5 SDHP

Strength/Skill

Deadlift

3x115

3x135

3x165

3x185

3x205

3x185

3x165

These felt really good. I hit 3 reps at 205, which was my old 1RM. So progress. Going heavier next week!

WOD

7 Minutes of Wall Balls - Managed 95

Looking back a bit ago I did a WOD that was 100 wall balls, and I managed that in 7:45. So good progress! We where told to pick between wall balls, burpees, or rowing. Whatever we hate the most. So wall balls it was. About 35 reps in the trainer came over and helped me out. I was really struggling with getting the ball to hit the wall the right way. After some minor adjustments it felt much better. I think I am starting to figure them out.

As far as other news, I had to do this weeks post all before this one. Monday was a crazy blizzard that I could not drive in. Wednesday I had a funeral and taught my first class at 630. So I only go to the gym 3 days this week. And I am not going to lie this drove me mad. I wanted to be nowhere else but at the gym.

Good news though, my first class went AMAZINGLY WELL! People couldn't stop telling me how awesome it was and how much they learned. And in just 2 hours I could see visible progress.

Bad news, a sickness is going around. We had hoped to avoid it but I woke up 2-3 times because my father was getting sick. It just so happens that the bathroom is on the other side of my wall, right behind where my head rests when i sleep. So I slept really crappily last night. I am hoping to avoid this bug, so I have been very diligent about washing my hands constantly and stuff like that. Heres hoping.

I have also signed up to do a short heart run and walk with some other people from the gym. I am going only for the 3 mile run, but its something!

Also evolve was released, its amazing.

So for valentine's this year I had a rather lengthy date with the porcelain throne. From about 6pm to 10pm I couldn't keep anything down, not even water.

Finally starting to feel better and keep water down, since I've been drinking a ton I can really feel how dehydrated I am.

So I got the dreaded bug. I am now awake at 329 because of It. So i have a question, any foods you guys recommend eating with something like this. I usually avoid solids, was thinking sugar free jello and similar fare.

So sadly another front squat day missed.. this is the third one in the row. I know they have been 100% out of my control, but I am still mad.

Based on everyone else who has gotten this I will probably miss tomorrow too... As long as I am good by wednesday I will be a little less upset about this whole situation.

The food suggestions really helped! Thanks all. 

So I have been informed by numerous people that what I had/have was extremely contagious and that i should wait a minimum of like 2 days before going out into the world again to avoid spreading it.

So to avoid infecting all the members of the class I go to I will be using tomorrow to get everything back in order and also prepare for my class wed night. If all goes well I should be back to the gym for push press strength day!

It's good that you're taking the slow return. However, I wouldn't put much stock in anyone's opinion of how long you are contagious. First, they likely don't know what you actually had, second there isn't a large body of work on the topic to really define it. It's almost all wive's tales and guess work.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

It's good that you're taking the slow return. However, I wouldn't put much stock in anyone's opinion of how long you are contagious. First, they likely don't know what you actually had, second there isn't a large body of work on the topic to really define it. It's almost all wive's tales and guess work.

I totally agree, but it has ripped through my entire family. From grandparents, to aunts and uncles, to my own house. So I'd much prefer to be cautious.

I am also still surprisingly tired. Which is strange. Regardless I look forward to tomorrow.

Back to the gym today, felt pretty good. Morning protein shake and BCAA's made the stomach grumble a bit, but then again most food still does.

2/18/15

Warm Up

jump rope

5 push ups 5 strict press 5 push press 5 lunges

Strength/Skill

Push Press

3x65

3x85

3x105

3x115

3x120

3x110

3x100

I felt pretty good physically but was really unfocused. During the lifts the trainer came over and said that my right side seemed to be dropping. After putting the bar back on the rack he had me stand, it appears that my right shoulder is a bit lower than my left! I have noticed that my right side has been causing me more trouble than the left. Usually when I fail at overhead stuff it goes towards the right. Maybe this explains it?

WOD

8min AMRAP

10 lunges with kettlebell

60 single unders

4 + 41 su

I still hate lunges. I was feeling a bit shaky throughout. Perhaps lasting effects from the weekend? Who knows. All in all its great to be back to the gym.

I  have my second class tonight, really excited about it. Feel much more confident now. But it stinks that I am not going to be able to make it to mobility class tonight. Hopefully they keep switching up the day so I can go to a few.

Ive been kicking myself for my laziness. I have been doing really well with the physical aspects of my life, but my pursuit of bettering myself artistically in pursuit of a career has again begun to wain. I love painting and drawing, and lose myself in it when I actually do it. But for some reason I keep FORCING myself to do nothing instead of doing it. It's such a frustrating situation.

ON the other hand I want to look into making "animated stills". I have no idea what they are really called. But its basically a 2d image with certain parts of it in motion. Ive seen portraits where the hair moves in the wind. Or snow falls. An example would be the Lords of War series done by blizzard. Its a bunch of 2d images animated so certain aspects move. Trying to figure out a way to do it on a budget of... well... 0 dollars. Anyone got any ideas?

first, glad you made it back into the gym today.

as far as the motion thing, I assume this is a trick of Photoshop, you make a picture with the different layers, you swap out the layer that has the hair or whatever in it with a slightly different version. You could use GIMP to the same effect for free. Since your post makes it sound like you draw or paint, I assume that you'd have to build the images up on paper, scan them in then assemble them. I say all of that, knowing nothing about how real artists do stuff. Maybe deviant art has a forum for something like this, even the blizzard forums probably has a section for fan art that would be more knowledgable.

• Like 1

I do indeed draw an paint. I have shared a few things on this very thread.

Found some ideas. I am going to start working with a friend, hopefully he can help keep me more accountable.

I totally agree, but it has ripped through my entire family. From grandparents, to aunts and uncles, to my own house. So I'd much prefer to be cautious.

I am also still surprisingly tired. Which is strange. Regardless I look forward to tomorrow.

I had it the week before you, so it must have flown across the Atlantic!

What I consumed was white buttery toast and chocolate milk - made everything better . . . like magic . . . . 

So my friend and I are going to work together. I am going to create a piece of art, hes going to write a creative short story about it. I am going to focus primarily on landscape speed paint style art. 

What does this solve? Well a bunch of things.

1. It keeps me accountable now that I have a friend I talk to on a regular basis involved.
  2. I want to work on landscape concepts, and since I have NEVER done them before what better time to start?
  3. More art for my portfolio, and it will be diverse with multiple artistic elements to it.

I will also be making personal pieces with short stories that I create myself. I am going to aim for doing 1 "speed painting" landscape a day. Its a lofty goal, but I am going to only spend 30-60 minutes on them once I start really getting the hang of them.

So heres what I have so far today 

desertspeedpaint1.jpg

EDIT: One potential direction this could take

desertspeedpaint1_2.jpg

Thanks man I truly appreciate it. I love creating pieces that inspire thoughts/feelings in people. Thats what I love about art. I may say one thing, you see another. But in the end we are both right.

This is something I have never done before, but something I really want to do. A desert piece is a bit easy compared to, lets say a jungle. But baby steps.

2/19/15

Warm Up

400m Row

3x [20 single unders + 5 Burpees + 5 Ring Rows]

The ring rows arent cutting it anymore. I am basically parallel to the ground and I can do them with little struggle. But I guess this is a warm up...

Strength/Skill

Push Ups, every 90 seconds do just short of max set.

6/6/5/4/3

My core is the issue here. I did add 4 more reps total than last week. But my body starts to droop as I get lower. So then I kind of just sit at the bottom trying to engage everything again, and it all goes to crap. I actually find hand release push ups to be easier... go figure.

WOD

For Time

50 Wall Balls

40 Ab mat sit ups

30 step ups

20 burpees

10 push ups

My time - 10:33

yea I was last. This was awesome/sucked. I was sweating terribly, but surprisingly wasnt all that tired. I kind of trudged through it. I am finally starting to get wall balls down, and could see a definite improvement there. Even when I went up 2 lbs. I did a set of 20, then 2 sets of 15. When before I would do sets of 10 and be winded after the second one. The only thing I really struggled with was the push ups at the end. I was just shot. 

Grabbed some good food for dinner, made granola (COOKED IT PERFECTLY!!!) and set in to work on a digital landscape concept. Posted some of it already but heres the current version.

desertspeedpaint1_3.jpg

Added some stuff to make the objects in the distance somehwat more interesting. Its suppossed to be vague and undefined so I am happy with it. I won't be putting to much more time into this. Happy with it since its my first one ever.

curious - you were at near max reps on your push ups for the 90 second sets but you were doing 10 reps in you WOD and you can ring row from horizontal for 5 reps as a warm up. I interpret this as, the 10 reps for the WOD required at least one rest and also, you're better at upper body pulling than pushing, is that correct or was it really just the plank aspect that was getting you?

• Like 1

I would say the pushing aspect I do find more difficult than pulling. however I seem to do fine with pressing, so maybe it's a core issUe. I'm not really sure.

2/20/15

Warm Up

Jump rope

3x [5 kb swings +5 gob squats + 5 sdhp]

Strength/Skill

Deadlift

3x115

3x165

3x190

3x215

3x225

3x195

3x165

This felt really good. Its finally starting to get a bit "tough" where I really have to focus and keep everything engaged.

WOD

Partner workout

1000 meter row (split up in chuncks of 250 m)

100 thrusters

1000 meter row (broken up the same as before)

So for this the guy I partnered with subbed in goblet squats for the thrusters. So I will say that he definitely did more squats than I did thrusters. Thrusters are rough... Our time was like 13:53. I'm wondering if my legs are weaker than I thought, and thats why I have issues with things like thrusters and wall balls.

I did some random stuff with food at lunch time. Mostly dark chocolate chips and olives. Some saltine crackers. Yea like I said weird.

My painting idea for tonight is either a painting of a cityscene with a bunch of cop cars in front with a shadowy figure standing in the for ground. Or a personal representation of atlas.

Dinner is steak I think...