Forums are back in action! ×

cn3wton, Battle log of Ages

thrusters are brutal, what implement and weight did you use?

A barbell with 55 lbs. Its light for a squat, or a press, but combined I just struggle keeping good form.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

attempted a cityscape speed painting as soon as I woke up this morning.

it didnt go well.. Taking a short break then time to try ita gain.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Gonna try painting a city scene from reference later.

Just got done shoveling snow. After 3 hours I had had enough. Some parts of the roof where up to my chest. Gonna rest for a bit.

2/23/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope (working on double unders)

3x [5 air squat + 5 goblet squat + 5 Back squat]

Strength/Skill

Front Squat Deload

6x [ 5 @ 75 lbs]

I have missed the last 3 weeks of front squat, so I didnt really need a deload, but after yesterday and the extended break taking the day to really focus on form was a good plan.

WOD

[10:1]

Power Clean 75lb

Burpees 

Start at 10 of each, work down until you hit 1 of each. Took me 11:30. Was tough but I pushed through. Sets where unbroken once started. Took me a few seconds to compose myself after the burpees though.

My gym is having a "Eat to Perform" challenge. The grand prize is 6 months free! I could definitely use that, so starting in march I am really going to focus on lowering my BF and fixing my diet. I will track every day, and really focus. More details on that when I learn more myself.

I will be testing my BF again next week. Apparantly they bought a new machine that is supposed to calculate more accurately than calipers. Should be interesting to see. It even prints out a sheet with all relevant data on it. I am not going to dismiss it right away, but I am going to miss the spot measurement. As it makes it easier to see progress I think. But who knows.

Going to do some googling/searching and find a city street image that I like and do a painting of it. I will consider it a speed painting as it wont be super detailed, but its not from my imagination like the desert one was.

I think thats it for now.

HOLY SHIT THAT DESSERT LANDSCAPE IS AMAZING

I scrolled past it initially thinking it was out of a Dungeons and Dragons book or something, but then when I went back and read through everything I saw you'd done it and was blown away

DUDE!

Thanks bro glad you like it! Working on being able to paint buildings now. Its a slow process.

2/25/2015

Warm Up

Jump Rope

5 Push UPs 5 strict press 5 push press 5 lunges

Strength/Skill

5x5@75lb

Focus on form. Felt I was really spot on, and lowering the bar down onto myself is getting better.

WOD

10 min Amrap

100 single unders

10 Knees above hips

5 assisted pull ups

I think I may have lost count as my final score was 3 rounds with 1 pull up. But maybe I didn't? The knees above hips thing was basically a hanging knee raise. I stopped whenever my body started to swing to much. 

Grabbed a new kind of protein suggested by a fellow member of the gym who happens to work and the shop I bought it from (its why I go there). Something about proteins that are used at different times or something? I trust him and will try it out.

Food was bad today... left overs. 

Class was canceled because one woman is in the hospital, and others cant make it. Sad to cancel again... But a person signed up starting next week (or the week after). So I just gotta keep pushing, it will grow.

My painting of a cityscape fell on its face, but I found some good strategies to approach bettering my skills. So I have turned to drawing a single tower with a small building attached/next to it. I spent about 20 minutes on it and the painting already looks better than the one I screwed around with for 3 hours.

Hopefully that will be done tomorrow. 

Didnt go to the gym tuesday because of some shoulder pain. Thankfully it was not an issue today.

2/26/15

Warm Up

jump rope

10 min AMRAP

20 Single unders

20sec plank, 20 sec arch hold, 20 second hollow hold

3 chin up negatives

Strenght/Skill

Push up progression

7/7/6/4/4

Added 1 rep to each set except for 1. Making progress. Asked the trainer to watch me do the reps and he said they looked good so thats good. He checked me on the later sets, so I was starting to wear down.

WOD

EMOTM 8 rounds of each

ODDS - deadlift + 2 hang clean pull + 2 hang power clean + 2 front squat

EVEN - 15 kettlebell swings 

So I am really starting to get the hang power clean down, and even the front squats felt good. I could probably have added more weight to the barbell complex as I started to warm up. But regardless I got a great workout.

For lunch I grabbed one of the new pre made meals from the gym. I actually grabbed 3, for lunch I had a greek style burger with brown rice, squash, and tzatziki sauce. It was pretty good! It cost $9, which is a tad bit pricey. But its a good option to treat myself every now and then.

I also grabbed the stuff to make granola, and the dark chocolate chips. 

I treid the new protein powder and the flavor was fine so Ill see how it works out.

2/27/15

Warm UP

Jump rope (damn double unders still elude me)

10kb swings

10 goblet squats

10 good mornings

Strength/Skill

Deadlift Deload

5x5@135

WOD

9 Min AMRAP

15 hanging knee raises

10 deadlift

5 ground to overhead

followed by

6 MIN practice clean &jerk

So this was the first workout of the Crossfit open, I obviously did scaled. But I also am not signed up. So I don't HAVE to do anything as perscribed. But I felt I could handle scaled so I did it. 

My score was 90/95, which is the reps in the AMRAP (30 per round, did exactly 3 rounds) + the weight you worked up to with the clean & jerk. I havent done the clean and jerk much, so I dropped down from the 85lb weight on the bar from the AMRAP and started at 65lb. Surprisingly it went really well, and I worked my way up to 95 with the clean and jerk. The clean is the part that used to give me the most difficulty. I just couldn't catch it and ride it down. But I was having 0 issues with it. Could probably have went heavier, but I was happy.

I decided not to sign up becuase of a variety of different reasons. Sure I know a lot of people do, but for 1 its my first year. I want to really focus on learning the movements. And on top of that I feel that if I sign up I would get super competitive and down on myself and push myself too hard. Im just not 100% comfortable with everything to really try and "compete" even if its just to see my standing compared to everyone else.

Today I had enough delicous pre made meal. Chicken and grilled veggie kabobs with sweet potato. It was amazing. Also just finished baking some homemade granola.

Tonight there is a artist meet and greet at a local gallery, thinking about stopping in. I am still plugging away at a tower painting that I have been working on... I really should be done with that by now. I also have some cleaning to do in my room. And laundry. Maybe my goal will be to get that all done before I go to the gallery? It may mean to video games till later tonight but I think I can live with that.

I signed up for a local Heart Run and Walk with a group from the gym. Going to do the 3 mile run.

Is competitive Crossfit something you're interested in sometime down the road?

I really dont know. Maybe eventually a LONG time down to the road. I do have competing in an event on my bucket list just to say I did it. But I don't know if it will be a thing for me or not.

Tomorrow I plan to jump back on the food wagon. Gotta get that back in check. Since joining the gym my weight has been steadily climbed upwards. And a few days ago I hit a number on the scale I had hoped to never see again, 210.

Now I actually think I am slimming down still. My pants still fit ok. Is it possible that I have gained 10 pounds of muscle (or more) in the past 3 months? Maybe. But I know that I would weigh less right now if my eating wasnt so irratic. Or at least if it wasn't I would have an idea of whats causing it. So I am going to start tracking again.

On the art front I spent a good portion of the day (like 3 hours or so? Maybe more) sketching in my sketch book. This ended up finishing yet another sketchbook. I think this is even the last one that I started in school that I hadnt finished. I had 4-5 that I started at different times during school and never finished. Its interesting to look back and see what I was doing 2 years ago. And how much has changed, but also at how I developed. I can see what led me in the directions I went and its cool to see different aspects of my current process creep up.

Tomorrow I plan to gather my sketchbooks up and flip through them, see where I am. Then I plan to finish the tower painting. And then maybe start the new sketchbook I got!

3/2/15

Warm Up

Jump Rope

Lunge Stretch + Side step with band

2x 5 Air Squat 5 Gob Squat 5 Front Squat (first round with band)

Strength/Skill

Front Squat

5x65

5x85

5x105

4/5x115

5x45

So the whole 4/5 thing is because on the way down on the last rep one of my fingers of my left hand slipped. Once at the bottom the other flipped off as well, I caught it on my shoulder (where it usually rests anyways) but the action of my fingers flying off for whatever reason really jarred me. So on the safe side I did a very light cool down set.

WOD

So for the WOD we where suppossed to have 15 wall balls, but I subbed it out for goblet squats. Though after the first one my knee started to tweak a bit so I dropped it down to air squats. But I talked to Shy Guy after and we both agreed that we need to prioritize. If I want to hit a good push press on wednesday, I need to ensure that if my hand is possibly injured I dont push myself to injury today. 

So anyways WOD 5 rounds for time

15 Air Squats

10 Burpees

5 Hanging Knee Raises

Time : 11:34

I still feel like I got a good workout in, it wasn't a cake walk. So while wall balls might be "harder" I ensured that every air squat was perfect. After talking with shy guy I think I need to work on my leg strength. That may be the cause of some of my issues. Front squatting 115 was surprisingly tough on my legs. I think that may be why things like wall balls kill me.

Food wise today is the day I turned it around. Its been going good so far. Lets see if we can go farther than one day huh?

3/3/15

Warm UP

Jump Rope

4x[15 KB swings + 20 sec of one of the following [plank,arch,hollow,L SIT progression]

For the warm up I did one of each. I wanted to try the L SIT progression where you kind of hold your knees up in a ball. It was much harder than I thought!

Strength/Skill

Pull up progressions

Did assisted pull ups with a blue and red band. They arent the thinnest bands but I would say the middle range. We did 5 max effort sets.

9/7/5/4/3

This wore me out much faster than I thought. I need to start focusing much when doing the exercises. Things like positioning of the band etc can really help. 

WOD

EMOTM (18 min)

Odd Barbell complex - 1DL + 1 High Hang Clean + 1 Hang Clean + 2 Push Jerk 

Even 30 seconds max effort jump rope.

Both felt REALLY good. I was doing 25 seconds of single unders at first with 5 seconds of attempting double unders. Then on the later set (like 6-7) I started throwing them in after every 5-6 singles. I got a string of 7 today! Thats a new personal best felt very good about it!.

Other gym related news, they are doing a overhaul of a lot of things. Specifically 2 things that impact me. The specialty classes (mobility/weightlifting/strongman) are no longer going to be free. They are getting a lot of no shows, so they feel that having to pay $20 per month per class will ensure people show up. I understand why they made this move. They have 7 people sign up and no one shows, they still have to pay the trainer who came in. This just stinks that I can't afford that right now, so I will most likely be holding off until work picks back up again, and treat myself to a chosen class each month. It also sucks that it seems I wont be able to attend mobility like I would like. Unless thats the only class I would really want to keep doing. I suspect there will be some changes to this plan, I just don't see anybody paying for mobility, even though its worth it. I have mixed feelings about it, but I know this isn't a move by them to squeeze more money out of members. 

Also the owner of the gym just bought this fancy new machine that calculates a ton of stuff by just standing on it. Water wieght, bf, etc. I was super excited about it, but then he mentioned that they are going to have to charge $35 dollars each time you use it... This kind of makes me sad because I was having him do the calipers for free every 4 weeks. But they did invest a ton of money in the machine... In the end though I will just put aside the money, and it may even help me stay motivated. If I don't want to waste the 35 dollars then I better eat right!

Oh and theres 1 more thing, the challenge they are running has an entry of 45 dollars, and comes with a use of the machine at the beginning of the end (a 70 dollar value! lol). But the prizes are going to be huge. Easily worth a 45 dollar entry fee. Just more motivation I guess.

In the end I talked with someone who has been with the gym since they where working out of a garage. And shes not extremely thrilled with the loss of the free classes, but she knows that this isn't a money grab situation. And I know that too (even though its only been a few months). The trainers at the gym care, and you can tell that just by speaking with them. Also I have looked around and the monthly rate for this gym is more than HALF of what most crossfit gyms charge. So I will just have to set a bit extra aside each month for the test, and maybe if work goes well a months worth of classes.

OTHER THINGS

I am calling this "finished"

finishedtower.jpg

There are things I like about it, and a lot of things I dont. But in the end I could go and try to rework this to death. But I think as a first industrial piece that has been successful I am happy with it. I will take what I have learned from this and make the next one even better. 

Food wise I am doing good so far today. Measured out all the stuff I ate so I actually know what I am consuming. Didn't write it down though. But I know that 1 serving of my "secret sauce" has about 200 calories and 10g of sugar in it. I think I could trim it down a bit, but in the end not as bad as I thought. It even has like 2-3 g of protein in it! That makes it better right?

you just painted my old office building :)

any chance you could get on as a trainer or assistant or whatever for those classes? before you answer, remember, "you don't ask, you don't get"

I don't have the qualifications. Maybe awhile down the road, butcurrently no.

And you know its a building, so thats a plus! lol

3/4/15

Warm UP

Jump rope (no strings of DU of note today...)

5 PU + 5 Strict Press + 5 Push Press + 5 lunges

Strength/Skill

Push Press

5x65

5x85

5x105

5x115

5x100

5x85

So my left shoulder was giving me a bit of trouble, and on the third rep of my highest set my dip was just a bit off and it was a struggle to get the bar up, I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to finish, but I focused on getting the drive and it worked out.

WOD

3 Mins Max Cal Row: 48cal

1min rest

3 min ground to overhead with plate : 42

1 min rest

3 min burpees : 38

Was pleased with my progress here. Since I had shoulder issues in the strength piece I opted to do GTO with a plate. Was a great, brutal workout. But I had almost no breathing issues and did 3 mins unbroken of a good paced burpee. I wasn't flying, but I never stood with my hands on my hips gasping for breath. It was all at an even pace.

Other news, class was a bust again tonight. Gave a private 45 min lesson for 15 bucks. Got some sketches to do for a friend right now. 

Biggest dissapointment of the day, I had a small shamrock shake and a mcgangbang for lunch. Then for dinner mac and cheese (only 200 calorie serving but still) and captain crunch. Both of which my mom brought home for me. So I was getting ready for bed and I looked in the mirror and I just felt fat and looked bigger. Was a shitty feeling, so I jumped on the scale. And there was the 210 again. So I've decided I am not going to wait for the competition to completely change my eating habits, and stop using at as an excuse to eat bad now. So I need your help! I am going to do pre made meals. 12 total. I will make them sunday and have enough for 2 meals monday through saturday. So heres my ideas so far.

Main Protein

Chicken

Hamburger patty

Vegetables

Brocolli

Peppers
Onions

Other things

Sweet Potato

Almonds

Granola

Rice Cakes

Rice

EDIT: Salad!

So obviously this is a pretty boring selection... I may throw in a salad? Yea a salad would work.

So I am going to plan it out for the week. But I need some more ideas. I want to keep it simple, so Im thinking 4 different meals. 

Thoughts?

your menu looks like a solid starting point. Play with it, see what works and what doesn't and what you like more than other things. I enjoy a salad made of diced cucumbers, bell peppers and maybe some scallions or radishes for a little something extra. I also like making my own cole slaw from two heads of cabbage. I use Paula Deen's recipe which does have quite a few calories in the dressing but when I pour 400 calories over four days or more of cabbage it works out to be pretty reasonable. Consider eggs (unless your allergic) as a solid protein source and one you can easily mix some sauteed spinach into. In the summer I like to grill up 3lbs of burgers at a time and then eat a pound a day for a few days,

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

3/5/15

Warm up

jump rope

3 rounds 10kb clean + 10 air squat + 5 ring rows

Strength/skill

deadlift

5x115

5x165

5x205

5x225

5x200

5x175

On my heavy set the first 3 reps where solid, but the trainer said the last 2 my shoulders where just a bit Out if place. Not horribly, but he stressed that I take an extra second to ensure I'm in good position between reps. It's funny to look back and see my 1rm at 205 and now I'm doing 225 for 5.

WOD

a modified version of Diane

21-15-9

deadlift (130lb)

gob squat

Time 7:04

So my shoulder has been bugging me still so instead of doing push ups I did gob squats. Which sucked. I really need to increase my leg strength.

Tomorrow I go pick up my stuff for the run saturday. Still don't know where to go exactly...

Will be posting my idea for weekly meal plans soon.

3/6/15

Warm Up

Jump rope

3x 5 swings 5 squats 5 sdhp

Strength/skill

Clean + Front Squat + 2 ttb

WOD

Modified open workout

0:00-3:00

10 Front Squat

10 Toes to bar from ground

Must complete each set twice

3:00-6:00

12 Front Squat

12 ttb from ground

must complete twice

thats as far as I got. I got 78 total reps. Shoulder was still bugging me so I took out the pull ups that where perscribed. Im not signed up for the open so no big deal. 

Something wierd happened with my right leg though. I had knee surgery on it years ago (like 6+). And theres always been a small area to the right of my knee that has very little sensation. Well today that area felt like it was on FIRE. It was the weirdest thing. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Eating was kind of meh today. 

I grabbed the stuff I need for tomorrows run, but I know I am going to run into issues with parking. So I am going to leave super easy and give myself time. I also dont think I have the right clothes for a run in 7 degree weather... We will see!