Strength/Skill 

Front squat

5x75

5x95

5x110

5x130

5x117.5

5x105

So for those who don't know that is 2.5lbs lighter than the front squat 1RM I set not too long ago. Looks like going back and really focusing on working my upper body position has really payed off. I was in my own head alot on this one with thoughts like "This is near your 1 rep and your doing 5! What the hell are you thinking!?" So I double checked the numbers a few times. It's awesome because now I feel my legs really pushing/driving in the squat, where before it was my upper body that was limiting me.

WOD

30/20/10/20/30

Lunges

KB swings

time = 8:33

I did everything unbroken. We could have put a plate overhead to focus on that positioning, but my knees still hate lunges... I don't know if I will ever be really comfortable with them...

Post WOD

10 trips 40yd prowler push w/ 90lb. Final trip time = 12 seconds

Hand stand push ups to moderate depth 2/2/1/0 - my arms faded on this fast. Definitely something to work on. 

Cleans 75/95/115 warm up stayed at 115 for 10 reps to practice. 

MISC

I prepped all my food for the week until friday. I am going camping this weekend, and my current plan is to make myself a special "menu" for it. So I don't feel quite so left out. We will see how that goes.

I grabbed something called Ezekiel bread today. "Paleo"/healthier/etc bread. It tasted pretty good, and took about 80 calories off my post WOD pbj. Next step is making my own sugar free strawberry jam. Then looking into healthier PB.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

You know you're a legitimate badass when you switch from galactic into EZEKIEL bread!

tumblr_mijokasMcr1rdutw3o3_400.gif

Hell yea!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Healthier pb is ab to us. ..almond butter! But Ezekiel bread for the win!

The bread is actually inspired by a passage in the bible.

5/19/15

Warm up

jump rope

2 rounds

5 negative pu

8 slow air squats

12 slow ab mat sit ups

Strength/skill

3x8 of both ghd and ring rows. Focusing/introducing accessory work.

Wod

2 rounds, 60 seconds at each station, 60 second rest between rounds

Hollow hold

burpees

arch hold

wall balls

air dyne

Total for burpees and wb = 63

Post WOD

5 50yd sled pulls @ 90lb. My legs where shot today. A couple of us did this after the workout.

3 rounds

double kb press x 6

10 band pull a parts

Some jump rope work mixed with push ups.

So all in all I'm feeling pretty beat. The last two days where tough in a good way. We will see how the prowler goes tomorow.

So I have been so close to a pull up. I've called it eyebrows to bar. Tried before the workout with no sucess. And again after. Even after doing the ring rows with feet elevated that are of equal or harder difficulty. So as I was getting ready to leave I was talking to a fellow gym member and I just had to try it. So I git on the bar and did 2! I don't know if it was the post WOD pbj I had just consumed or what bit I was just kind of shocked.

Working on my resume now and mobility class tonight.

5/20/15

warm up

jump rope + air dyne

3 min amrap (twice)

10 mntn climbers per leg

5 push ups

10 band pull aparts

strength/skill

bench press

5x75

5x95

5x107.5

5x127.5

5x115

5x105

So this is the same weight as last week. Did it with no assistance needed this time. It was a bit wobbly but I got it done.

WOD

12 min time cap, 5 rounds

5 Deadlift + 5 HPC + 5 Thrusters @ 75lb

50 double unders

score = 4+2 double unders

The rope held me back, if I had done singles I would definitely have finished. Was a great workout though, even with ending up with a knot in the rope.

Post WOD

10 40yd prowler push @ 140lb last trip = 13sec

This was a tough one but I muddled through it. Felt a bit of a twinge in my low back but nothing to worry about at the time.

Also have been doing random pull ups here and there throughout the day. It's still kind of surreal that I can do them unassisted now. Food has been on point the last few days and I am down to 185 this morning, my lowest ever since I started losing weight!

Finished the first spot illustration for my resume, 3-4 more to go. Having issues with my scanner connecting to my computer though... Figures doesn't it?

Back has been a bit painful. Hopefully I can take care of it over the next few hours/tonight and will be able to workout tomorrow. But if it feels off I will most likely skip. I don't want to miss deadlift day on friday. Or Murph saturday.

5/21/15

warm up

jump rope + air dyne

2 DL + 2 hang pull + HPC + PC (done twice)

strength/skill

dl+hang pull +hpc + pc

75/95/115/125/135 (125 for PC)/125/125/95

Gotta get my elbows through quicker.

WOD

For time

500m run

2 rounds

• 15 burpees
  • 10 hanging knee raises
  • 5 push ups

500m run

score = 9:58

Post WOD

50 yd sled pulls

90/115/135/160/180/115

Thats about it for today.

5/22/15

warm up

air dyne/jump rope

2 3 min amrap

5 sdhp

15 swings

10 good mornings

strength/skill

deadlift 

5x120

5x150

5x187.5

5x215

5x195

5x175

Back to making good steady progress with these.

WOD

partner workout

partner a - row for cals

partner b - run 200m + 15 swings

when partner finishes the last kettlebell swing swap. Total calories rowed is the score.

score = 146

I got paired with another guy who just so happens to be named Corey too. Hes very overweight and out of shape. Taking him like 4 minutes to run 200m. So this one was brutal for me. But I tell you what he pushed himself hard, like really hard. And thats all I needed to see to get me through the row.

Post WOD

4 40yd prowler push @ 140lb

8 40yd prowler push @ 90lb

The first four sucked but the 8 where easy. I don't know why it switched from 10 trips to 12, but its been a decent program so far not gonna change anything.

I am going to do a 1/2 Murph tomorrow... I just can't bring myself to do the full then try to drive 3-4 hours to where my family camps. I don't even know how I am going to fair on the half as tonight was a horrible day at the restaraunt. Didn't get home until 1130... gotta be up at 7 for tomorow... 

Have a great weekened everyone (if I'm not on much this weekend)

Nice one. It looks like your DL is going up; what's your current PR?

Currently a very sloppy 265. I took some weight off and have been really pushing form. I don't expect to beat that this cycle. But maybe next time.

• Like 1

5/23/15

1/2 Murph

800m run

50 pull ups

100 push ups

150 air squats

800m run

I broke the pull, pu, and squats up as follows.

10 rounds

5 pull ups

4 push ups

15 air squats

2 sets of 3 push ups

Time = 32:30 (kind of forgot to write it down)

I was going to throw in 50 more pu for da's rpg challenge but it just wasn't in the cards.

I really think this was my best memorial day celebration ever. The owner said this "when your arms start to feel tired and sore be thankful you have them. When your legs start to burn be thankful." It really drove the message home for me and pushed me through it.

The pile of canned goods we all donated was pretty monstrous.

All in all an awesome start to the weekend. I made my cube snacks and protein brownies to share. Everyone loved them, but the brownies where my first attempt and a bit dry.

I am off to go camping for the weekend now. Don't think I'll have much time to check on here so everyone have a great weekendÄ

• Like 1

5/26/15

warm up

ghd back extensions

air dyne

emom

12goblet squats

18 lunges

20/20/20 elbow to instep + arch hold

strength/skill

front squat

3x67.5

3x87.5

3x102.5

3x115

3x135

3x117.5

3x107.5

WOD

8 min AMRAP

20 kb swings + 4 burpees

Add 4 burpees after each round

score = 164 reps

Post WOD

50 yd sled pull

195 *new PR

how was the camping?

It was an awesome weekend. Got to spend some time with family and relax. Which is always great.

5/27/15

warm up

jump rope

4 min amrap

10 mountain climbers per leg

5 push ups

10 band pull aparts

strength/skill

bench press

3x67.5

3x95

3x112.5

3x122.5

3x135 (a little assistance on last rep)

3x122.5

3x112.5

So technically this is going up, but I wish it was going up faster. Oh well.

WOD

4 x 400 m run

1:55

1:43

1:45

1:35

I really gave it my all on the last run. Got stuck behind someone on the way out, so I sprinted back to make up the time. Happy with how I did.

Post WOD

Rope climb x 2 (this is definitely a skill I need to work on)

30 second Hand stand holds x 4 

Since I missed monday due to memorial day I am taking this week of from the prowler.

MISC

A day of highs and lows.

Lows - While I got my resume and cover letter done, I went to visit the possible job and they told me they where not hiring. Got food to cook for remainder of week, but ended up going out for wings instead. Food took forever and I ended up eating more than I wanted too. Also my art class was postponed due to nobody showing up tonight.

Highs - While the company isn't hiring right now, they would like a digital copy of my resume. So at least its out there. And since its done there is nothing to stop me from sending it out to other places. While my class was canceled tonight, someone wants to buy one of my pieces from the gallery! And a few people plan to start taking it in the near future. 

Gotta keep my head up and keep pushing through.

5/28/15

warm up

10 du / 1 pull up / 2 air squat

did some foam rolling of quad, managed to get rid of the knee ache doing it. Love foam rollers now.

200m row

3 rounds

10 frankensteins + 10 lunges

30 second goblet squat hold

3 front squat 3 push press 3 thruster

WOD

10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1

Thrusters @ 75lb

25 double unders after each round

time = 16+ minutes

So this straight up sucked. I was stubborn and did du, and didnt get any really good strings until the last 25 where I got 20 in a row. I was the last one to finish and didnt pay attention to the time. 95lb was prescribed so I was happy with going at 75lb. After the workout everyone did some hollow hold/arch hold stuff. I tried joining in but I was too busy dying. Ended up eating my post wod pbj and heading home.

Work sucks, decided I wouldn't share negative things here though so instead I can tell you what a great motivator it is for me to find a new one.

Thinking about possibly doing a challenge... not sure...

5/30/15

warm up

jump rope

2 rounds

15 med ball slams

15 sumo deadift high pulls

10 good mornings

Strength/skill

deadlift

5x115

3x147.5

3x170

3x192.5

3x227.5

3x205

3x182

WOD

parnter work, switch every minute, 10 min

Max calorie row

10 hand release push ups + plank for remaining time

score = 108

6/1/15

warm up

12 gob squat

18 lunges

20/20/20 elbow to instep + arch hold

(done 2 times)

Strength/skill

front squat

3x75

3x95

3x102.5

3x117.5

3x137.5

3x125

3x110

WOD

EMOM

Odds 5 pull ups + 10 lunges

Even 5 burpees + 10 kb swings (24kg)

Post WOD

12 40 yd prowler push @ 90lb

Last push time = 12 seconds estimated

So that was at 11 in the morning, then I went back at 630 for

STRONGMAN

warm up

jump rope

bear crawl + 10 kb swing x 2

Axle bar deadlift, 5 reps

160/170/180/190/200/210

Farmers carry 50 yd (weight per arm)

65/95/115/125

Log ground to overhead

65/85/95 (multiple reps at each weight.)

So for my first night of strongman I was happy. There is a strongman contest in august that I may or may not be entering. It was my first time using the log so I was happy with 95. Sure its not my max.

6/2/15

warm up

jump rope + air dyne

seat test

2x 30 sec gob squat hold

2x emom

3 frontsquat 3 push press 4 lunges

20/20/20 core work

strength/skill

clean complex

hang clean + clean + push press + split jerk

worked @ 95lb, really have to work on confidence with the split jerk

WOD

200m luggage carry (100m per arm) 24kg kb

30 wall balls 20lbs

200m luggage carry

20 wall balls

200m luggage carry

10 wall balls

time = 13:10 (my first rxd)

This sucked after last nights grip stuff...

post WOD

sled pull 50yd, 5 @ 90lb

6/3/15

warm up

jump rope

4 min amrap

10 mntn climbers per leg

5 hand release push ups 

10 band pull aparts

strength/skill

bench press

5x75

3x95

3x107.5

3x120

3x137.5

3x117.5 (messed up my adding on the plates...)

3x110

So if everything goes to plan I should be hitting 150 as my 1RM. I can't say I am excited about it. I feel like it should be higher. But I  have to remember that I really have only been lifting weights for like, 8 months? I consider everything I did before to be junk. I gotta lift what I gotta lift and be happy with the progress...

WOD

21 Burpees

500m run

15 Burpees

500m run

9 Burpees

500m run

time = 11:55

I was on pace with another guy who usually beats me. Each round I was falling just a bit behind on the run. So on the last run he was about 15-20 meters in front of me at the half way point and I just gave it my all. I gained and gained and then when I was close enough I was sprinting he turned with a shocked look on his face then goes "COME ON!". We ended up tying but damn I felt like I was gonna die. 

Post WOD

8 40yd Prowler push @140lb --> I really had to push through this. At the second trip I didn't think I would come anywhere close to finishing. But I pushed through and did it. Final trip time = 14 seconds.

Strongman! Awesome!

I love it, its what I like to do!

Next stop - haphthor bjornsson

One day! It definitely a kick to the pride when one of the girls DL's the same as me. Of course I beat her at the farmers carries... But man definitely have to get better at checking my ego at the door!