Forums are back in action! ×

First time gym-goer

So I move to university on Saturday and my uni has its own gym, which I am planning on joining since I won't be able to take free weights with me and don't have enough floor space even for bodyweight exercises (obviously I could just do them somewhere else, but I like weights and I think paying in advance for membership will help keep me motivated).

Thing is, I've never gone to a gym. I was always terrible at sport and that led to an aversion for fitness in general. I eventually lost that mindset and bought an exercise bike and some free weights. But obviously I used those at home - I never really wanted to go to the place my friends use for a few reasons: first, I like doing it alone; second, around here they're over-priced; third, the closest one is four miles away and I can't drive.

Now I do want to join the one in my new town, but it's still rather intimidating. I will have no idea how to work any machines (though I'm not particularly inclined to use them) or even how to adjust benches/racks etc. I realise that these are clearly going to be intuitive to use and I'm well aware that I'm simply making a big deal about this because I'm nervous about leaving home, but please, indulge me. Any tips as to how to get by hitting the gym for the first time?

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Buy either Steve's guide w/ dumbbells / barbells or starting strength depending on what equipment you have (preferably you would have access to a power cage, some sort of barbells to do deadlifts, and some way to do overhead pressing (like a half-squat rack). Walk in like you own the place, don't worry about the other people, and just do your workout.

*edit* and yes, that's the short and sweet version. Basically, play nice, respect other people, and do what Carjack says :) *edit*

General ritual:

Check out who's doing what in the gym to make sure you don't steal somebody's station.

Pick the station you want to use, snatch barbell collars, weights and any other equipment you'll use in advance.

Re-rack and unload the weights after use.

Barbells:

Use the collars.

Use the big silver bars (Olympic) for lifts off the floor because they stand up to that well, plus they have knurling in the middle for one hand lifts.

Use the dark colored powerlifting bars in the squat racks and bench racks, because they stand up to being thrown around on those safety pins better. They're also good for two handed deadlifting. Try to get a 45lb regulation bar and not those funny 35lb bars that screw up standard meathead math, which functions in increments of 45.

Squat racks:

Learn to set those safety pins in the adjustable ones (a.k.a. power cages). Turn, slip it out, insert in the correct hole.

You can bench all out without a spotter by sliding a bench into a power cage and setting the pins to keep the bar from pinning you down.

Don't do bicep curls in the rack.

Learn to box squat so your form won't suck.

Bench press:

Learn the correct form and how to spot someone.

Don't use too much weight too soon, or you'll get pinned under the weight. Also don't look left or right, and don't try to rack the weight when you failed at the bottom. One's embarrassing, the other makes your neck hurt.

Use dumbbells sometimes or else one pec gets bigger than the other.

General douchery:

Find out if the gym allows you to drop weights. Use the rubber coated bumper plates and a platform or mat for this, so you don't break the bar, or the floor.

When you're skilled in the gym, it's time to learn at least one move that looks extremely dangerous. See how many chest and biceps guys try to stop you mid lift.

When advanced, show off by doing dragon flags or clean and presses whenever a trainer is trying to show someone a boring isolation move. Let everyone know that you have the secrets to fixing their weak points, and they don't.

Don't be afraid to ask.

If you go in saying "I want to do a Starting Strength type barbell programme, can you walk me through the squat and bench plz" you'll get a show-through of the basics as part of your induction (I'm guessing you're UK, and UK gyms pretty much all do an induction whether you need it or not). Keep your weights light and you won't die.

And it's freshers' week, so it's utter noob salad: you will not be alone in your position. There's quite a fun "how the hell does this thing work?" buzz for the first week or so. Alternatively, go at 11am or 3pm, or super early. Those are the quietest times and there's less pressure.

Jargon buster:

"Work in" means share the equipment. If the gym is busy, this is fairly common. Good way to break the ice, too.

"Spot" means be the safety guy - the usual one is for bench press. Stand at the head of the bench. Get an idea how many reps they're going for, and watch the bar, and stop it killing them if they get stuck; and vice versa. If you're close to your limit, don't be afraid to ask for a spot.

Most gym goers are of the same ethos as each other, and that is that you don't laugh or judge beginners.

Generally most people in a gym are quite helpful, and I myself spot people when they need it and have had offers when benching on my own.

I know you like going solo, but I had massive gains at the gym by going with a colleague who is an avid gym fan and knows his stuff. Is there anyone you could go along with, even if he is at a similar skill level to yourself and it's just for motivation?

I agree with Andygates, it's in the gym's best interest that you know and enjoy what you're doing, so you continue. So ask one of the staff there if they do introductions sessions, or if not could a member of staff walk you through a basic workout plan and how to do the exercises. A lot of places do free personal trainer sessions to get you on your feet.

when joining a gym beware the pull of the machines... stick to free weights but make sure you nail your form and remember that (generally and at least in my experience) if the trainer isn't in good shape ignore them, sometimes even the ones who look in good shape don't really know much, take everything with a good pinch of salt (unless carjack says it... his words are gospel i'm telling you)

Focus on yourself. Do not worry about what other people are doing, who looks stronger, etc. Don't try to copy someone who you think 'looks good.' Get your own routine and stick to it. Focus on compound movements (they build the quickest muscle), and constantly try to better yourself.

Also, Carjacks advice is sound. Print it out and read it until you know it. Will definitely help you in the gym

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

So I move to university on Saturday and my uni has its own gym, which I am planning on joining since I won't be able to take free weights with me and don't have enough floor space even for bodyweight exercises (obviously I could just do them somewhere else, but I like weights and I think paying in advance for membership will help keep me motivated).

Thing is, I've never gone to a gym. I was always terrible at sport and that led to an aversion for fitness in general. I eventually lost that mindset and bought an exercise bike and some free weights. But obviously I used those at home - I never really wanted to go to the place my friends use for a few reasons: first, I like doing it alone; second, around here they're over-priced; third, the closest one is four miles away and I can't drive.

Now I do want to join the one in my new town, but it's still rather intimidating. I will have no idea how to work any machines (though I'm not particularly inclined to use them) or even how to adjust benches/racks etc. I realise that these are clearly going to be intuitive to use and I'm well aware that I'm simply making a big deal about this because I'm nervous about leaving home, but please, indulge me. Any tips as to how to get by hitting the gym for the first time?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTQttnNyXk

Don't worry about it, everyone started somewhere and some people never even get it together to step into a gym. Your winning half the battle by deciding you want something and actualising that desire. The next half of the battle involves two dozen eggs and 4 litres of whole milk. Grab a barbell and start progressively loading and achieve something every time you step in the gym. Do compound lifts that work the whole body as an integrated unit. Get big, get strong, and grow as a person inside and out.

Then, hulk smash.

Are you eating while your reading this?