Forums are back in action! ×

How to Safely Increase Weight Past Maximum on Leg Press?

Hey all,

I am in a quandry and was hoping that a fellow NF'er might have a tip.

My gym's leg press only goes up to 190kg, and I have reached my goal of doing 3 sets at 10 reps of 190kg.

I want to push past this, but am not sure on how to safely add weight to the machine?

I was thinking that I could just hold a 20kg weight on my lap (as it's one of those machines where you push yourself back instead of the plate away from you), but I'm worried that this is not the effective or safest way to do it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hmmm, you speak sense.

I have a bit of an aversion to using free weights for heavy lifts as I always worry about messing up and squashing myself!

Suppose I could use a smith machine as it has the safety catch things.

that's actually the last thing you want to do :)

freeweights are a million times safer than any of the machines.

and if the weight doesn't squash me, it won't squash you :)

here's a good article:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-safely-when-youre-alone/

here's a little thing steve wrote on it:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/05/11/whats-better-free-weights-or-machines/

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Cheers Spezzy, Everyone.

Think I'll have to take the plunge! I'll start at 60kg I think to get the motion, then move up. It's annoying as my colleague who I use as a free (and very much appreciated) PT has a plate in his ankle and can't do squats so this time I'll have to either youtube form or ask a PT at the gym.

On a side note, loving the Kurt quote Spezzy!

that's actually the last thing you want to do :)

freeweights are a million times safer than any of the machines.

and if the weight doesn't squash me, it won't squash you :)

here's a good article:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-safely-when-youre-alone/

here's a little thing steve wrote on it:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/05/11/whats-better-free-weights-or-machines/

+1 to this. Machines are the devil when it comes to leg exercises...doesnt' matter how much you can lift in a leg press as its non-functional strength.

A deep squat and deadlifts will make you 10x functionally stronger, WAY safer, and much happier :)

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

Box squats I'm telling you.

You'll ensure correct depth and eliminate butt wink on the way down.

box squats ftw. what's butt wink?

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

It's when your butt tucks in and rounds forward at the bottom because of weakness or inflexibility. Makes you lose the back arch and maybe causes you to good morning out of the squat.

I was having trouble for a long time because I'd slightly good morning out of my squats, so I switched to box squatting after I read Dave Tate's article on T Nation. That fixed me up quick and it seems like the perfect way to teach yourself squatting.

haha Bullwinkle.

But now I'm lost about "good morning" out of squats. o.o

Basically your hips rise faster than your shoulders head, leading you to round your back and have to arch your back to straighten with all of the weight. Proper form has both the hips and shoulders/head rise at the same rate out of the bottom so that the back does not bend.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hmmm, you speak sense.

I have a bit of an aversion to using free weights for heavy lifts as I always worry about messing up and squashing myself!

Suppose I could use a smith machine as it has the safety catch things.

Eventually you WILL hurt yourself using a smith machine. Not a good idea. Spezzy speaks sense about the free weights. It's the way to go. Also, if you're that worried about hurting yourself, most lifts have a safety. The squat rack, for example, has a set of pars on the side that can go at about the level of your squat, so that if you really need to dump out, you just sit down and the smaller bars catch the main bar. Alternately, you can just drop the bar. The only thing keeping it on you is you. If you feel like it's going to squish you, let go and it will roll off and fall behind you. Nobody gets hurt but the floor.

But if you're doing it right you'll know well before you hit that point. You rarely, if ever, move so much weight (when working out) that you might never be able to get it up. that's more of a one rep max area, which is not par for the lifting course.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Cheers Spezzy, Everyone.

Think I'll have to take the plunge! I'll start at 60kg I think to get the motion, then move up. It's annoying as my colleague who I use as a free (and very much appreciated) PT has a plate in his ankle and can't do squats so this time I'll have to either youtube form or ask a PT at the gym.

On a side note, loving the Kurt quote Spezzy!

60 kg is actually a pretty large amount of weight to start squatting with if you have never done it before. Start with the bar and get your form perfect. Rushing in to a heavy weight is a recipe for some serious back pain. Give yourself 2 months and you will be squatting some heavy weight with perfect form. Your PT buddy should still be able to check your form for you while you squat

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)