Forums are back in action! ×

How to Safely Increase Weight Past Maximum on Leg Press?

Hell everyone has already said it, but i'm never one to shy away from pointlessly following the herd (take that ayn rand).

Squats are king. Isometrically working back, abs and shoulders while fully loading hips, quads, glutes, and hams. I'm not even kidding - my calves have gotten huge since i started doing back squats. Screw isolated exercise.

Plus without sounding like some overly macho "bro", but if you've been avoiding free weights before for fear of getting pancaked then thats exactly the reason to do it. Building mental toughness is a big part of exercise and will help move big weight.

As for starting weight, i've only just hit 60kg with full ROM and decent form after lifting for three weeks, 3x a week. macnip78 is right - do reps of 5 adding 5kg each time till your form slows down, then use this as a starter weight. Do not underestimate the power of the low bar squat.

Are you eating while your reading this?

Hey all,

I am in a quandry and was hoping that a fellow NF'er might have a tip.

My gym's leg press only goes up to 190kg, and I have reached my goal of doing 3 sets at 10 reps of 190kg.

I want to push past this, but am not sure on how to safely add weight to the machine?

I was thinking that I could just hold a 20kg weight on my lap (as it's one of those machines where you push yourself back instead of the plate away from you), but I'm worried that this is not the effective or safest way to do it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Try moving slower to muscular failure. If that gets too easy, half the weight and press with one leg at a time.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTQttnNyXk#t=31m00s

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rp5VcQl0Ug