Forums are back in action! ×

Skinny guy ready to bulk up

Some background about me:

* 27 year old male

* ~128lbs

* I'm weak. I've never lifted weights in my life.

* I don't watch calories (because it never affects my weight), but I do generally try to eat somewhat healthy. Generally I stay away from HFCS, fried things, and eat red meat sparingly (once/week).. mostly eat lean protein like chicken/turkey, salads, etc. My big weakness are sweets: if it's a baked good, I'll eat it. Also: I eat out A LOT. I hate cooking, so I eat out instead... clearly this is less than ideal.

* I hate the gym. I've never belonged and don't want to. If possible, I want to do this in my house or outside.

* Ideally I'd be around 145lbs, toned. I don't want to be huge, I just want to look toned and feel good.

With that out of the way, I'm doing my best to read through this site (and others), but since most things about working out are really about losing weight or working out at a gym, I'm still a bit at a loss of how to get to my goal.

Can anyone recommend some very simple exercises to get going? Also, how much should I worry about my diet at this point (given I eat what I think to be relatively healthy and I'm looking to bulk up, not slim down)?

I'm looking forward to this adventure!

Hello and welcome :)

I've been in the same situation as you. Almost the same age, but I was even lighter. 118 lbs. Couldn't do a single chin-up. I had no Idea how to change my situation until I found Nerd fitness. Flash forward, nine month later: I'm now at ~150 lbs and in the best shape of my life. Not bulky, but toned and fairly strong. I'm far from what I once was, but I'm not yet what I'm going to be. And I have never been to a gym in my life and the only weight I used during the last nine month was my own body weight. So, no, you don't need a gym. You can do your workouts at home or outside, like I did. But it won't be easy. You'll need a pull-up bar. That's it. And, yes, you'll need to watch your calories. Do it instantly from the beginning. I halfassed my diet at first and for a very long time and it was a mistake and it cost me a few month. You have to overload your system with calories, but others can explain this better. You will get plenty of help here :)

Something you might find helpful:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1613/1288994980414vd8l.jpg