Forums are back in action! ×

What's good?! Looking to start brand new goals.

How's it going everybody? You can call me Raijin, I'm looking to make some lifestyle changes that I've tried and failed before but am tired of feeling terrible and after doing a few internet searches I found a nice article on Nerd Fitness which brought me here. My goal, like many peoples, is to lose weight and get into better shape. My girlfriend and I recently discovered she was pregnant and it's got me thinking. I'm just about 22, I've been smoking for 3 years, eating terrible for longer and I honestly don't exercise often. The most activity I get it biking and going for walks sometimes. I used to skateboard a lot but I've been slowly getting into worse shape and I can't find the energy to do so. I just really want to ensure I can live a longer, healthier life for not only me but to set a good example for my child.

So I've made the final decision! Starting tomorrow I take necessary steps towards GODHOO- Erm Living healthier. And I've chosen this board to meet like minded people that could help with the motivation I tend to lack when I try to begin new things. Look forward to meeting y'all!

Hi Raijin,

Great that you want get off your butt ;-) Becoming a parent is a real good motivator. I've been there myself. During my wife's pregnancy there were millions of things to do and I knew from friends that several weeks after birth would be exhausting/challenging. The thing that kept me going was lowering the bar to get started every day to an absolute minimum. For this I simply made some space in the basement, bought a real great app/book combination for bodyweight and started following it. Like that I could simply say: "I'll be back in 30 minutes" and I would go down do my sh*t and be back in a flash full of super power to manage all tasks at hand. Also I could exercise at very late hours.

Anyway, what I want to say is that in the beginning you need to make things easy for yourself and after 4 weeks, when you see and most of all feel the first changes, you can adapt things.

On the other hand. Some people need extra motivators, like paying for a gym membership ;-)

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Life as a new parent can be tough. Do not give up your exercise routines. They GIVE you energy. They do not take it away!