Forums are back in action! ×

Good evening from Massachusetts

I got so excited to post that I already posted questions and skipped the intro!  Realized my mistake while doing my 10-minute walk, as ordered by my e-mail today.

About me: I'm a full time Paramedic and volunteer firefighter in Massachusetts.  Married with a 4 year old son and 5 month old twins boys (yeah, my poor wife).  My goal is to get a job on a full time fire department as a firefighter/paramedic.  It's something I've been working towards for a long time.  If I were to describe myself it would be "functionally overweight."  I can play with my oldest, I can do my job, but climbing three flights of stairs with a 15 pound monitor and 20 pound bag gear bag is tough.  I'm 6' 2" and 285 pounds, I'm not closely tracking weight loss but I would bet in the end I could lose 85 pounds of fat and gain 35 of muscle - I could probably even do 100/50!

My wake up call:  In order to get on the hiring list for many towns you have to take a state-run written and physical fitness exam.  The fitness test involves 7 stations, including a stair climber, a hose drag through a tunnel, ladders, and pulling ceilings (link to the state test here if anyone is interested http://www.mass.gov/anf/employment-equal-access-disability/civil-serv-info/multimedia/videos-physical-ability-test-pat.html).  I failed two stations, including the 5 minutes on the stair machine (got winded, got dizzy, almost got sucked under), and barely passed the 5 that I did pass.  I made it through by the skin of my teeth.  On my best day possible.  Sheer force of will got me past my last station.  The good news is that I passed overall and am on the list, the bad news is that if I get selected to be hired I have to pass all seven.

I joined a gym and have been doing well for the past 2 1/2 months, but I've found that nautilus and the treadmill aren't going to cut it, I need to upgrade to the freeweights.  I like nautilus and it served a good purpose, but it's not for me.  That's where I start to get confused.  Lot of exercises and terms I'm not familiar with.  From what I can tell my gym has good trainers that focus on form over weight on the bar, so Sept 1 I'm going to pay the money to spend time with a trainer and do it up.  I've started the beginner body weight workout and am getting a jumprope so I can do the warmup.

So basically, in the end, I'm sitting at my computer in a Tony Stark t-shirt and knowing there's no way I'm going to fit in an iron man suit.  I have the time, I have the motivation, I'm ready to go!

8/28/14 - Today I climbed a mountain.  A FREAKING MOUNTAIN.  Last year I would have had to stop, this year I made it up, next year I'm gonna OWN it.

{Battle Log} Level Two Adventurer {Previous 6-Week Challenge}

STR 4 | STA 2 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

I want to be strong.  I love data, I love numbers, and I love tracking my body, but in the end I just want to be strong.  I want my chest to stick out further than my stomach and I want to lift, play with, and move my sons.  That's what's important to me.  Change will happen. Not in days and weeks but in months and years..... But that's ok because I'm in this for the long haul.