Forums are back in action! ×

411 days ago I made a decision to change myself. Well, another one at least.

I weighed 303lbs, and was eating almost non-stop. I was huge, and unhappy with myself. But I always reasoned that I would be happier to eat what I wanted and die early, than to diet and look good.

Then one day I changed my mind.

A good friend of mine came out of nowhere and suggest we start going to the gym together. The first few sessions were rough, I never knew what I was doing, and just went from machine to machine, until I thought we had been there long enough. I work a pretty physical job at a local aquarium park, and we started the gym during the summer holidays. I was working for around 7 hours on my feet, dealing with 2000+ people on height restricted rides, then coming home, only to leave for the gym an hour later. I was hard, but we kept at it.

My friend was the one that kept me going. Then I began to enjoy it. I began to see results, I lost weight, and felt better.

I found Nerd Fitness, and learned from there. I restricted my diet, severely, changed the way I see food. I changed my workouts and began to slim down. Well, began to slim down, that's still a work in progress.

I bought some decent weights, and a barbell. I worked as hard as I ever could.

My brother started going with us. I always worried about him, still do. His weight problem was, perhaps, more severe than mine, and his lifestyle was far worse. But he tried to change, and I admired that.

Things got rough when work finished. The rides only run from February through to November, and I couldn't find any Christmas work to see me through. I still live at home, and had enough money saved to keep myself. I dedicated myself to the gym. I was going 6 times a week, pushing myself on the cross trainer and the bike. Both Christmas and my birthday weekend were speedbumps in the road, but I got back on track quick.

Sadly my brother gave up on the gym, and my friend found a new job that restricted his free time quite a bit.

I was going on my own for a long time. The gym I go to is ok. It's quiet but small. An ok selection of machines, but no free weights. Luckily I have my own weights at home, and use them at least every other day. The gym's clientèle are all the same. We just get in, put the headphones on, get our heads down and work. Everyone there is just trying to keep healthy or lose weight in peace.

I found it difficult to start up work again, being so used to being down the gym, but I made it work, and I still do.

Things has changed around, workouts always change. I think I get a good range to my workouts.

I recently hit the 1 year mark.

And now I'm wondering what's next.

Today is day 411. I went from weighing 303lb, to weighing 190lb. I've lost 37.29% of my bodyweight. I've gone from a XXXL shirt to an M.

I'm happy with how things have gone, but now I’m changing my goal. I've lost weight, i've slimmed down. And now I want to be fit.

I have hit some small but considerable milestones. Today was my 191st visit to the gym. In the past year I have regained the ability to sprint, squat, lunge and perform sit-ups.

But I am yet to master the pull-up, the dip, the press-up, and others.

And these are my goals. I love reading Nerd Fitness and getting excited to work out. Each article motivates me towards my goals. Whether it's eating right, thinking right, or lifting right, it has helped me tremendously.

And it continues to help me.

A year ago, I couldn't imagine looking and feeling as I do now. I can't wait to see what I’m like next year.

So this is me saying hello. and thank you!