Forums are back in action! ×

Relocating to FL and looking for a Career - my Rebellious Resume

This Gypsy Warrior woman is packing up her caravan and has fed and watered her horses (of her Jeep Grand Cherokee) and is following her dreams to live in endless summer with her lion father in Florida.  This is the epic quest before me: I don't know anyone there, I don't know the land too well, but I have been working toward this for so long and the time is now.

If there are any Rebels in Florida or anyone with advice about resumes, relocating, networking, LinkedIn, or going such an epic journey, any advice is helpful and appreciated.

I'll probably end up in a non-profit because I love to work for a purpose, but I'm trying to stay open to whatever government, business, or human agency opportunity there could be.  I'm also open to all of Florida though I am most familiar with central FL. 

RACHEL A. BLAASCH

rachelblaasch@gmail.com     LinkedIn: pub/rachel-blaasch/42/a06/b95 Ocala, FL  34472

Peace Corps and AmeriCorps alum with extensive experience in community development and initial project management and oversight.  Passionate about emergency preparedness, volunteer mobilization, and workshop facilitation.  Interested in all aspects of fund development.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

AmeriCorps VISTA, Preparedness and Outreach Volunteer Coordinator     Schoharie, NY

Schoharie Area Long Term                                                         September 2013 – August 2014

Committed one year of full-time national service with a nonprofit focusing on disaster recovery

Volunteer Management

• Instrumental in coordinating 315 volunteers including 17 volunteer groups in direct service to flood-recovering communities.  
  • Launched a monthly volunteer e-newsletter with 550 readers and volunteer blog http://www.saltrecovery.org/category/blog/

Emergency Preparedness

• Directed the progress of a county-wide initiative to create a Volunteer Reception Center to refer spontaneous volunteers after a disaster.

Community Outreach

• Created a “Hope for the Hope-Bound†project to provide 200 Emergency Ready Kits for the home-bound of Schoharie County

Peace Corps                                                                                           Republic of Vanuatu         

Community Health Volunteer                                                                   April 2008 – May 2010

Committed two years of full-time service on a developing South Pacific country promoting health practices to Vanuatu’s rural families and improving health-related infrastructure

Community Outreach

• Produced six health workshops, reaching over 150 residents

Community Development

• Instrumental in facilitation of a multi-island, four-day workshop for a sanitation grant
  • Increased health-related infrastructure by assessing 800 residents in ten villages for three surveys: the local health center’s patient records, the provincial government’s health planning, and the World Health Organization’s measles vaccination campaign 

RELEVANT EXPERIENCE

Massage Therapist                                                                                                    Latham, NY
Kimberley’s, A Day Spa                                                             November 2012 – August 2013

• Provided massage, skin, and hydrotherapy treatments for three to six clients a day

Field Archaeologist                                                                                                   Altamont, NY

Landmark Archaeology                                                              September 2012 - October 2012

• Excavated Phase I and II prehistoric sites in the Albany, NY area

Self-Employed, Massage Therapist                                                                           Athens, PA
 Rachel Blaasch, LMT                                                                September 2011 – August 2012

• Established sole proprietor business’s finances and client records
  • Marketed for new clients through out-of-office events

Public Archaeology Intern                                                                            Fredericksburg, VA  George Washington's Ferry Farm                       May 2006 - Sept 2006, May 2007 – Sept 2007

• Developed and presented the excavation site of George Washington’s boyhood home
  • Supervised small teams of field school students

Supervising Field Archaeologist                                                                     Charleston, SC        Magnolia Plantation                                                                           January 2007 – April 2007

• Engaged visitors about the archaeological evidence of slaves on a 300 year old plantation
  • Supervised a small crew of a Phase I and Phase II site
  • Created a system for field work documentation and cataloguing artifacts

EDUCATION

Certification, Massage Therapy, Finger Lakes School of Massage 2011     Ithaca, NY

B.A., Archaeology, Creative Writing, Lycoming College 2005                   Williamsport, PA

A.S., Liberal Arts, Tompkins-Cortland Community College 2002              Dryden, NY

CERTIFICATIONS, COURSES, & TRAINING

• First Aid, CPR/AED - Emergency Care and Safety Institute, June 2016
  • FEMA ICS 100 – Intro to the Incident Command System, February 2014
  • FEMA ICS 200 - ICS for Single Resource and Initial Action Incidents, June 2014
  • FEMA IS-244 - Developing and Managing Volunteers, January 2014
  • Resource Development: Fundraising and Grant Writing - AmeriCorps, 10 weeks, April 2014
  • Volunteer Mobilization - AmeriCorps, 10 weeks, August 2014

SKILLS

Salesforce (data entry)           WordPress      Prezi    Constant Contact        Microsoft Office

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Hmm, well, Christartist and I are about an hour and a half away in Clermont, FL.  Can't give you any advice on the area since I've only been here a little over a year.  Has your dad been in Ocala long?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

There's plenty of colleges here with archeology departments (UF, UNF, UCF), Florida does have a lot of history to it.

St Augustine appears to have it's own group as well.

http://www.digstaug.org/

The state archeological website appears to be here.

http://www.flheritage.com/index.cfm

The FEMA offices for our area are up near Atlanta. Which is about a 6 hour drive from me in Jacksonville.

And Americorps is in Tallahasee, which is a 3 hour drive from Ocala.

This is what I could find for ya based on what's on your resume. If you end up somewhere near Orange Park (Jacksonville, Middleburg, Mandarin, Fleming Island, Green Cove Springs), let me know and I can start looking around for stuff for ya.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Thanks everyone!  I've never even heard of some of those towns, so thanks for the suggestions.

My Dad's a snowbird.  But maybe with me there, he'll become a full-timer.  He's been going to FL for the winter for maybe 5 years now.

Smart man... just mentally prepare yourself for the summers here. It get HOT and Humid...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

From my current challenge:

I'll probably end up in nonprofit work.  At my current AmeriCorps position, I do a lot with disaster preparedness, research, and outreach.  I've found that I really love that work and that preparedness is empowering.  :)  It's most effective when it's fun!  I've also done lots of work with committees, goal planning, and project management. 

I keep checking web sites for FEMA, Red Cross, local government, Wounded Warrior in Jacksonville and Tampa, and agencies with an AmeriCorps program.  I also kinda check with hospitals sometimes because they have foundations to support some of their programs.  I'll probably end up having to volunteer with that because I need more experience in grant writing versus actually getting paid to research and write grants.

Smart man... just mentally prepare yourself for the summers here. It get HOT and Humid...

I'm ready!  I lived on the equator for 2years, so I remember what that's like, but that was four years ago now, and I've been through a couple mean winters since then in the Northeast.  As they say on Game of Thrones....winter is coming...

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

From my current challenge:

I'll probably end up in nonprofit work.  At my current AmeriCorps position, I do a lot with disaster preparedness, research, and outreach.  I've found that I really love that work and that preparedness is empowering.  :)  It's most effective when it's fun!  I've also done lots of work with committees, goal planning, and project management. 

I keep checking web sites for FEMA, Red Cross, local government, Wounded Warrior in Jacksonville and Tampa, and agencies with an AmeriCorps program.  I also kinda check with hospitals sometimes because they have foundations to support some of their programs.  I'll probably end up having to volunteer with that because I need more experience in grant writing versus actually getting paid to research and write grants.

I'm ready!  I lived on the equator for 2years, so I remember what that's like, but that was four years ago now, and I've been through a couple mean winters since then in the Northeast.  As they say on Game of Thrones....winter is coming...

If you find anything, and you want me to stop in for whatever, let me know. I work about 5 minutes from the WW office, have a few hospitals I can easily access and one just opened up near where I live if that means anything to you.

and yeah... winter is coming, and it's almost just as hot... :-)

My first challenge