Forums are back in action! ×

Moving to Baton Rouge/Gonzales LA

I'm moving to that area in October from Houston and I'm looking for housing and having some difficulty.I'very found 3 rental homes on zillow that I can't afford in Gonzales and that's all. The stuff that's in Baton Rouge is too far away from my future job. I see a bunch of stuff on Craigslist that looks decent, but I figured that was all scammy. Is that normal to have so few rental options?

Q. Well, what kind of strength do you want?

A. You mean I get to choose? Polar bear strength! I want polar bear strength!

It might be because people are gearing up for fall quarter at lsu.  LSU, which is designated as the #1 public univ. in LA (LA Tech where I work is #2) so it's rather large.   That could have some reason for no vacancies in BR. 

Have you tried getting hold of some realtors or checking their sites???

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Not yet, but I'll do that next. I've never lived in a college town before, so that thought didn't even occur to me that things will change once school starts. I'm hoping more things will open up in Gonzales too, which I'm guessing isn't something often said. Lol

Baton Rouge? oh man, I'm so sorry. I despise that city. (I live in Lafayette, LA.)

and yes, everyone and their dog are moving into areas near LSU campus right now because of fall. if you can find something temporary, then durring winter break, relocate, that's a possibility.

I don't really trust Craigslist for anything important. I prefer sites like ApartmentFinder or whatever.  but it sounds like you want a rental house.  those aren't terribly common in southern Louisiana, as most people who get a house stay in it.  rental houses are usually mostly found via word-of-mouth.

if you PM with the approximate location of your job, I can do some research and see what I can find.

I also have friends in both BR and Gonzales, so I can talk to them too.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

My start date for my job is late October so I can't push the move any further away. Apartment living might not be so bad, I just haven't done that in a while. I'd miss having a yard tho. Houston has lots of rental houses, so I figured it'd be the same in LA.

not really.  I mean, rental houses exist out here.  but in southern Louisiana, it's a very strong "who you know" land than "what you know" or "what you have".  :/  like I said, though, I'll ask around.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia