Forums are back in action! ×

Questions/suggestions about a middleweight sportbike

Hey guys, it's been a while! I just had a quick question for y'all. I got a Ninja 300 in March as my first bike, and I'm already itching for an upgrade. I know that I'm still pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to riding (I think I've only put around maybe 300-350 miles on it. I've also taken the MSF Basic Rider Course, and waiting on the Sportbike course). I'm looking around for what I should start saving for as I get more experience under my belt, and was wondering what your thoughts are on where to go from here. There's a lot of choices on the 600cc-750cc range. I was looking mainly at the GSX-R600 (maybe 750) or the CBR600RR, but I'm open to any suggestions! I've yet to ride anything bigger than my bike, and I've sat on a few in showrooms. If there's anymore info that would help, just ask

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future. He makes his own." -MGS1

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -MGS2

"An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong." -Anon.

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." -Ace Combat 5

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." - Fallout: New Vegas

"Don't focus on words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide." -MGS2

I can't be much sportbike help as I ride a cruiser ( VTX 1300c ) but I just wanted to say kudos for getting your MSF class done. Makes all the difference in the world.

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Yeah, it really helped me with slow speed stuff. It just made sense to me to have that, I mean it's there for a reason, right? Not to mention that the military strongly encourages you to take it. And by strongly encourage, I mean they won't let you ride on base or help out with medical if you get in a wreck if you don't have the course. Soooo, there was definitely some incentive there haha

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -MGS2

"An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong." -Anon.

"Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky." -Ace Combat 5

"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." - Fallout: New Vegas

"Don't focus on words so much. Find the meaning behind the words, then decide." -MGS2

Indeed. Anyone can get on a bike and twist the throttle and go fast. Going slow requires skill. Most people don't understand about the clutch friction point and the value of the rear brake. If you ever want to see some great stuff check out Jerry Motorman Palladino's videos. Ride Like a Pro was AWESOME. This guy used to train motor officers. Check out this sample video of his. AMAZING stuff

• Like 2

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

[Disclaimer: I'm more of a noob than you are at this point]

Now, that being said, I've ridden a bike 3 times.  First was a neighbors Super Unlimited motocross bike that I managed to break.  It was actually pretty spectacular, and the guy basically told me that he let me ride it specifically so he could buy more parts.  

Second, I rode my friends R6 around a parking lot a couple times. This one I didn't break.  Actually did really well on it.  Managed to get low speed turns down pretty well.  

Anyway, having never ridden anything less than 600cc or a race bike, I'd say you're probably good to go on any of the bikes you mentioned.  Especially with the MSF course.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Not much of a sports bike fan.

Simple rat bikes, or café racer style for me personally.

Go Air-head/Boxer engine, you'll always be able to repair it yourself if you really need to twist a wrench. :)

Plus, there is a cult following of air-head/boxers, want rep with old school folk? Nothing turned heads like my 71' BMW R60/5. :) Reliable, and if I went off a cliff I'd surely die, but you could pick the bike up and keep going; bullet proof engine.

Yeah, powerful fast bikes are 'fun', but to have that 'fun' you run the risk of having your license revoked by the troopers/cops in your area if they catch you having 'fun'.

-Purple_Panda

I would ride the 300 for another year to work on skill building. Check out Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and push yourself to your limits. My friends that upgraded or started on cbrs and zx6r bikes no longer ride because the bike was too much.

All the ZX bikes with an even displacement number ( 600 8700 900 1100 1400 etc ) are stupid fast "Supersport" bikes. The ZX6 scared the snot out of me. The destroy the regular sport bikes.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting one now. I was more looking for opinions on what to look for or at in order to pick a bike to start saving for

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting one now. I was more looking for opinions on what to look for or at in order to pick a bike to start saving for

Ride more. Then you'll know what you like about the little ninja and what you don't. It'll give you more direction as to what you're looking for in your next bike.

Do you just want to go fast? Take a long trip? Get off into some gravel roads or further out into the dirt? Be comfortable on the freeway? What I thought I wanted when I started riding and what I'd get now if I were shopping for a new bike are two very different things.

Lots of good advice here already. The only thing I'll add is to go out and try other bikes. You just never can tell if a bike will suit you until you actually get out on it. You will develop your own riding style, and you want to find a bike that suits it.

Plus, it's fun to go try out different bikes. :encouragement:

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously