Forums are back in action! ×

The new me?

Today I am 31. This hasn't sunk in yet, and it looks weird writing that.

Today I am half way through week 4 of making my new life.

Yesterday I started week 4 of C25K and jogged more than I walked for the first time. It was hard and I wanted to give up but I did it all.

Today I did Strong Lifts week 4 workout B. I went to the gym, at 6am, on my birthday. I now squat 40kg/88lb which isn't very much but is 40kg/88lb more than I could do 6 weeks ago. I felt groggy this morning after a bad night's sleep and slightly queasy after a big dinner yesterday but I still went. This is something I could not have done 6 weeks ago.

I have been forced to modify some aspects of my régime. I don't currently do barbell overhead lifts or vertical rows because the form was painful and the gym instructor recommended I build a little more strength before I do the dumbbell version but I'm keeping the weights incrementing. Previously this setback would have caused me to become despondent and give up.

I have lost more than 10% of my starting bodyweight as of Sunday morning - 10.4% to be precise. I have been seriously trying to lose weight by calorie counting for about 90 days now. This equates to about around 13.2kg/29lb and although I have not yet reached my primary goal it is getting closer (to get my weight under 100kg/220lb).

Bending down to pick things up is no longer something to be avoided. I can get out of my car without levering myself with my elbows. I don't yet spring out of chairs but I don't have to catapult myself forwards any more.

I don't think I look like I have lost weight but people are starting to mention it. I think my ribs feel less flabby and I am sure I have lost fat from my feet but it's subjective. I can button up outer shirts that previously I wore undone.

I have a long way to go. My BMI (blunt instrument that it is) is still obese, and I struggle with portion control as well as self-control at BBQs. I want to wear clothes that fit me one day, not just clothes that cover me. I am not there yet. But I will get there.

• Like 2