Forums are back in action! ×

Lost in the woods and the terrible fog of war...

Hi fellow rebels,

[tl;dr]

Former overweight, struggle with routine and overtraining and weight regain.

Certified Personal Fitnesstrainer, only for educational reasons.

Overtraining, no directions.

Diet is pretty much paleo

[/tl;dr]

[prelude]

My journey for fitness is an long and winded one with it's ups, downs and strolls off the path.

3 Years back I was 125kg and got tired of it, a change in diet, mostly cooking myself and stopping the sweet drings, knocked off 25kg easy and movement started to get interesting, so why not get some education? So I became a certified personal trainer, a serious course lots of theory, anatomy, etc took 2 months 5days/week.

Enter the kettlebell, literally. With the Book and a trusty 16kg KB in hand i started working on the ETKB program and that worked pretty well. After a while I thought, you ought to do some pulling, pulling you say? PULLUPS?! well and a tweaked shoulder followed which pestered me till last year regularly, but didn't fully keep me from lifting.

Since i blamed kettlebells for my injury I started to workout in a gym doing SL5x5 working up to a Bodyweight squat ~90KG and somehow tweaked my quads or hip flexor, i assume due to the lack of rest. 

[/prelude]

Since I love working out but fail to keep it in healthy limits I look for guidance in these great halls. For the history showed, one is alone, one fails alone and no one is there to sing the songs of heroic acts along the journey.

What I currently attempt, been doing it 2 times now with 1 day rest in between, to do is 'basic' bodyweight training which I derive from /r/bodyweightfitness/ and follow this programm. One thing i already start noticing, besides sore muscles I hardly knew before, I push myself always too fare, which results in week long soreness, to the point I can't walk or handle stuff.

What I believe would help me would be some community, since I have no fitness interested people in my area or at work.

I was also thinking about joining the Academy in the hope for some 'hand holding', which I liked in P9*x where you have a clear structure but then again the overtraining, don't know if that helps me or if the achievements will cause me to overtrain... or if the Rebellion Community could help me with that.

My main goal is strength to handle my body, a strict pullup, and losing some fat and weight, currently back to 93kg, lowest was 80kg, aiming for 85kg.

Thank you for your time reading this and any help you want to give me.

Regards,

René

PS I am german and hope that I didn't write too much gobbledygook.

/edit: totally forgot to state my goal.

Hello and welcome. Considering the over-training; have you thought about something like progressive load, like p/l/p program(pushups, lunges, pull-ups)?  Super easy.  If you can't do a certain one of those exercises; you can substitute it for something easier as an option until you 'upgrade'. (For example, doing bent-over rows if you can't do pull-ups, or incline pushups if you can't do normal pushups.)

The basic idea behind progressive load is that you start off with a small number, like 5 reps. And you ONLY do 1 more rep per day. Day 1= 5 reps each. Day 2=6 reps each. Day 3=7 reps each, and so on.  By having progressive load, you won't over-train because you know you are only doing 1 more rep per day.  I know it worked pretty well for me when I experimented with it.

• Like 1

Teros,

I try to work with progressive loading, but for example what I am doing at the moment causes me already to be sore for multiple days and I am always hesitant to push through soreness, maybe getting hurt, or add another day off, with the fear of under training...

Bodyweight exercises and their level:

Vertical Pulling: Negative Pullup

Last Workout: 3 sets of 5

Feeling: Hard!

Horizontal Pulling: Selfrow on a barbell with assiting with feets

Last Workout: 3 sets of 5,4,2

Feeling: Very Hard!

Vertical Pushing(?): Dips on Bench, Legs on the floor

Last Workout: 3 sets of 5

Feeling: OK

Horizontal Pushing: Pushups on Bench

Last Workout: 3 sets of 8,6,4

Feeling: Hard but ok

Legs: Bodyweight + 10kg Plate

Last Workout: 3 sets of 8

Feeling: OK

So here I am, with too much knowledge for me own good. I'd rather know nothing and just do as being told sometimes.

mainly it's a fear of never getting anywhere and wasting pressures lifetime, or mess something else up...

Can that be resolved in your head that injuring yourself and setting yourself back would be 'wasting' as well?

If I bust my butt and walk 10 miles in a day- but then I have aches and pains. And I'm sore and maybe hurt my knee a bit; I'll need to take a few days off.

But if I just walked 3 miles in a day, I could have walked 3 more then next, and 3 more the next, and 3 more the next. 

That means in 4 days- I could walk 10 miles and have pain.  Or walk 12 miles and have no pain.  Can looking at it from that perspective help at all? It's not the day-by-day, but the overall bigger picture.