Forums are back in action! ×

I'm Alex, I'm new, I'm a level 1 Ranger, and I am going to do this!

Well, hi everyone! Or, to anyone taking the time to read this.

I won't bore anyone with the details of the past, since it's not about the past, it's about the now, other than that, used to be a big(ish) kid growing up, VERY slowly starting getting better by my late teens, but never to a point where I felt comfortable in my own skin. Well, that's going to change.

Now, luckily for me, I have a few advantages going into this.

First, I've done my homework when it comes to food, vitamins, minerals, all that stuff, so when I first came across NF and it's food-based articles, it clicked with me right away. I had already been doing Paleo (well, my own tweaked version of Paleo) for roughly 8-9 months starting back in Spring of 2013, and lost a good 20-25 pounds as a result. So I know it works, and I know how to do it. The thing is, I'm here because, at this point, diet has only helped me along so far, and I need to step it up and actually get MOVING now.

(I say 8-9 months because, I've sort of been "off" Paleo for the last few months, but not in the sense that I've been cramming junk in my mouth all the time)

I've wanted Vibrams for the better part of a year, and finally have them. Three pairs, in fact, all specific models depending on what I'm doing. (for those interested, red Bikilas for light walking and long distances, black and orange Komodosports for the gym, and black KSOs, which I just picked up last night, for everything else)

Ok, so, here's the deal. I'm a Ranger. I'm about 5'11'', 175 pounds, and everything Steve said about the Ranger is exactly what I want to be, it just feels right. The problem is, I have zero, ZERO muscle strength. I am 175 pounds of complete out-of-shape-ness. I've never done any form of strength training before.

I still have a stomach that I want to get slimmed down somewhat, but that's not my primary focus. I just want to get stronger, and healthy. Healthy being the main thing. So I thought maybe I should start with beginner bodyweight exercises, at the gym that I'm already a part of (one that does have the necessary free weights).

Is that a good idea to start until I develop a bit more strength to begin strength training using weights, you know, the standard dead lifts, bench presses, all that?

Oh, also, yes, I'm a nerd, mainly with video games. I need to get in shape to be able to handle the intensity of Baldur's Gate, which I'm working on right now, and next, Dark Souls. It's time to become... a man.

Great write up Alex. I'm glad to hear you've had success with your Paleo living. I've been trolling around the boards for a while now, and just got started myself; but I can't tell you how many good things I've read about the BBWW. As Steve address a couple weeks back in his post about overcoming injury's; it's not about where you start, it's about improving. I don't see a problem with taking your time moving to heavier weight; especially at the start so you stay injury free.

Best of luck and Welcome to the Rebellion.

Level 1 Mandalorian Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1

When you take up arms and fight the fates; that is when you'll find your true destiny.

SKA: Kulan Rosovidov Kievich. In service to the Middle Kingdom, it's people and her crown.

Days without Soda PVP (Days 1/365)

0%
0%

MyFitnessPal

QoTD: I was climbing around like a mountain goat.

Well, I attempted to do the body weight workout last night, all three runs of it. And I learned just how out of shape I truly am.

But at least now I have my first quest. To be able to do that circuit all three times.

I had to stop after only two of them, and I wasn't quite able to get all the lunges in on the second run. And I can't even do 10 push ups in a row, that's the biggie I really need to work on. I have a feeling my lower body strength is farther along than my upper body strength, as I was able to do the squats, as well as the plank, without much trouble. In fact, I felt like I could have done the plank for at least 30 seconds each time, which I might well bump it up to.

I'm also considering adding in around 8-10 bicep curls with the same weights I use for the lunges, too. I feel like I need to challenge my upper body a little more.

Bicep curls are fine don't get me wrong. But there are some other things that can go along with this circuit much better. 

Also I suggest you check out the level one section of the forums. Technically you start at lvl 0. I just reset my level this past challenge, its good to get a fresh start.

If you have any questions feel free to message me. And welcome.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)