Forums are back in action! ×

exercises for dad

Hello everyone! my dad is a disabled and severely overweight individual who is very sedentary.  He keeps mentioning how he wishes he could work out with me..and well..I want to find a way to do that! I'm just curious if there is a way to get him more active while he is still in his chair? perhaps with dumbbells? I say his chair because it is very difficult for him to move around...I'm looking for recommendations as I think becoming more active will help him mentally as well.

Thanks. 

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." - G.K. Chesterton 

How disabled is he?  Is he in a wheelchair?

Resistance bands are awesome.  They make them in so many varieties now that you can get a pretty great workout with them.  You can do anything with them that you could with dumbells. 

If he has mobility with his legs, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with going for a walk.  Maybe set distance goals for him and don't worry about the pace?  Plus it's great bonding time.

You can also buy these great little stationary bikes that don't have seats, and can be placed under a desk or on a table so you can use your arms rather than your feet.  They make a very convenient way to do cardio while watching television, using a computer, reading, etc.  I got mine for $50 at Meijer.