Forums are back in action! ×

A whirlwind of changes

Hi, my name is Tony, and I'm new here.

A whole bunch of changes in my life have led to me deciding to shape myself up a bit. I'm an engineering student but due to some mental health issues I'm taking this semester off and I'm just taking some writing classes at a local college near home. I'm only taking about a class a day and it's going to be a lot less stressful than my usual life (18 hours of class a week, leadership stuff, generally being stressed) and I had always tried to get myself on track with exercising but things kept coming up. So, now that I've got the time to really set myself into a schedule, I'm going to do it. I'm also trying to eat healthier and all that jazz.

Just as a sort of background for my experience with fitness, I played sports year round all the way through high school; soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, track in the spring, training/paintball in the summer. So I've always been relatively fit, but I'm 3 years into college and I haven't been as active as I used to be and I want to get back to that. As for some goals:

-Compete in American Ninja Warrior. This is sort of a really long term goal. It's something I've always been interested in and just this summer my little cousin decided that she wants to see me on it so I'm certainly going to use it as a goal.

-Compete in 5 Tough Mudders. I've already done 1 and loved it. I just want to build it up as something that I do every year.

-And I really want to use my body's weight efficiently. I've gained some weight this summer, which marks the first time in 5 years I think that I've managed to actually gain weight, but I want to be gaining muscle and not fat, so I need to work on that. I currently am 5' 10" and weigh around 170 lbs(I used to weigh 150) and I'd really like to lose 10 lbs or so while making sure that my remaining weight is more muscle. No idea what my % body fat is but I'd certainly like to work on that.

-I also want to take up some martial arts classes/boxing or something. I've always enjoyed them but have never really gotten formal training. Part of this goal is getting into better shape first and then getting into a class. I don't want to start taking the class and find myself out of breath all the time.

I've also set up some short term goals for myself:

-50 push ups in one go. I've never been much good with upper body strength; I'm more of a distance runner, but I really want to work on it.

-100 sit ups in one go. Core used to be my favorite thing to train. We did so much core work in soccer and track. I've fallen by the wayside a bit and need to build myself back up.

-25 pull ups in one go. Once again, upper body is not my forte, but I want to be well rounded.

-Get back to my old mile time of 5:40. Haven't timed myself running lately. I've just been doing 12 minute miles for a few miles just to take it easy because my lungs are a little messed up at the moment.

I've already been going to the gym for a solid week, let's keep this going.

RixUltor | Level 0 | Aspiring Assassin
STR[0] DEX[0] STA[0] CON[0] WIS[0] CHA[0]

50 pushups in one go

40%
40%

100 situps in one go

25%
25%

25 pull ups in one go

40%
40%

The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight, and the only reason a warrior fights is to win - Miyamoto Musashi

You've got some pretty ambitious long term and short term goals, there!

What's your plan for achieving them? What does your training look like?

Welcome to the Rebellion.

Well,my training currently consists of alternating days between running and lifting. In terms of running I run 3 miles or so each of the running days and I'm trying to get back to running 5 miles comfortably and then I'm gonna scale the pace up a bit. I also want to see if I can get back to my old mile time of 5:40 from my track days. In terms of lifting, I generally do a sort of chest/triceps day, a legs day, and then a biceps/shoulder/upper back day, with some forearm stuff and lower back work every lifting day. I also do abs/core work on my running days. Currently my plan for achieving these goals is to get used to a schedule of working out and really just making sure I work out every day(except break days). Once I'm on that schedule and it's just second nature, I'm going to really look at what I'm able to lift/run/etc and set some goals there. For now it's just kind of doing some older routines from when I played sports. The way I view it, the short term goals I plan to be able to do in the 3-6 month range and the long term goals are more like 1+ years. Especially since some of them only come around once a year or so.

RixUltor | Level 0 | Aspiring Assassin
STR[0] DEX[0] STA[0] CON[0] WIS[0] CHA[0]

50 pushups in one go

40%
40%

100 situps in one go

25%
25%

25 pull ups in one go

40%
40%

The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight, and the only reason a warrior fights is to win - Miyamoto Musashi