Forums are back in action! ×

Question for NF parents: Are you able to make fitness a family affair?

My heart gets a couple sizes bigger when I see my elfish-changling 4 year old daughter do a push up. Well it's more of a downward dog, but she's getting into it. She loves doing her "exercises" and insisted on doing a set of 10 floor-wipe type moves before getting dressed for school this morning. :sentimental:

It's a little tough adjusting to what my twin daughters lean towards naturally rather than what I'd like them to - they have to be the worst natural ball-sport players of all time - but are good with climbing, rolling down hills, working on their own version of parkour. Whatever gets them moving!

Once and future ranger.

I think I echo a lot of what's being said here - one of my key motivators for getting going on a healthier lifestyle is to inspire my children. Now, my boys are 5 and 2 within the next two months (May, June) so they're still young but they can still see and comment on my bad habits. Both boys know I drink a lot of soda, so whenever there's soda in the house and they grab a can, they bring it to me and say "Dad's." I'm trying to end that with one of my goals - no soda during the week, which means less soda in the house.

I jog often - and my oldest, who just got his training wheels off of his bike, wants to ride along with me while I'm out running. We can't do this yet, as he's still building up his own endurance and balance - but I'm psyched that he wants to do this because it'll be another motivator for me to get out and run.

I'm on Twitter!

Not a parent, but I grew up in a family where healthy eating and exercise were just a fact of life. I never really thought about it- we went for walks and rode bikes and played outside and swam and went to the farmer's market in season because that was what we did. Did we eat junk? Sure, but we didn't go insane about it. My parents certainly never obsessed about dieting around us. You could have a cookie or two for dessert after you ate your dinner. We never felt deprived- I think that helps. Going "No more cookies EVER!!!" means that all you can think about are cookies. *g* My parents are still in good shape at 70 and 78- she runs agility with the dogs, and dad regularly goes off to Ghana to do fieldwork for the foundation he runs.

I take my two boys (8 and 10) swimming at the gym every Sunday. It was tough at first, and I realised from the start that it would never constitute a good workout for me, but I try to make it fun for them by having little contests and keeping a record of their achievements. It is getting to the point now where my eldest can have a race against me (of course I don't go all out - wouldn't be fair) but it sure does keep them motivated.

The good thing about going to the gym is that I also show them one exercise that I do in the gym every time we go. Last week I showed them the pull-up bar and then hung them from it and said they should give it a try.

We have also started a daily routine now before shower time in the evening where they do a little bodyweight exercise session. Nothing too complex - 20 bodyweight squats, 10 push-ups (or knee push ups), 10 leg raises, 10 supermans and 20 jumps up onto a step. They are pretty tired after this, but they do love it.

My eldest asked this morning when he could join me in the gym so he can also lift heavy things. I guess the example and the encouragement is paying off.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

My wife and I garden and our two boys (3 and 5) help. They have a tendency to eat as much as they pick. I don't complain because they will eat broccoli, peas, spinach, etc. As far as exercise goes. I am trying to get my five year old more involved. He is taking karate and I am trying to teach him the benefits of exercise which I have a problem with myself. I am trying to get all of us to do some basic stuff and other fun things. It is funny to see a three year old do pushups.

We don't eat out much and when we do it is typically not fastfood unless we are traveling. We get most of our food from the farmers market, CSA, and growing it ourselves. We can some stuff and freeze others to keep our trips to the grocery store down during the winter.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

With our 3 year old, it's becoming a family affair. My wife and I both go to the gym, and luckily they have child care at the gym. When we get ready to go, the little one (all on her own might I add) ABSOLUTELY must put on her running shoes and running shorts like mom has. Usually, she eats what we eat - which is generally very healthy/non-processed. Hopefully we can keep it up - and keep her interest.

My daughter is 9, and she knows that junk food is an occasional treat. I think the best way is get them involved in preparing their own meals. I bought a pushbike recently, so the two of us will ride to the local shops, she will pick out some sausages or a chop or something from the butcher, and then next door we will go to the fruit and veg store and she will pick the veggies she is going to eat with it.

She loves a jacket potato, and broccoli and some fresh carrots. This way we get healthy food and some exercise at the same time, plus she is learning to cook :)