Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! I'm new with old shoulder problems...and seeking advice

*waves* Hello! I've been hanging around on the main site and trying to learn stuff for almost a year now, but I never have joined the community until today. I look forward to getting more into it!

So last summer I stopped going to my gym because money. I was basically only using the elliptical anyway, and running is pretty much free, so that's what I've been doing. Sometimes I actually do the beginner body weight workout, but lately I haven't because some details of my job (in a library) have exacerbated discomfort and outright pain I've had in my left shoulder from a skiing-related injury in 2005. (I've actually only had consistent pain since 2007, because textbooks and college.) Anyway, I was getting pretty good at modified push ups, but now it hurts to reach out and put any sort of pressure or weight on that arm. (It gets worse after two days at work.) Any sort of advice as far as strength training, lifting (especially overhead or out front)? I can modify the way I lift books, I guess. I'm just hoping I can compensate for what I think is a neglected rotator cuff.

Sorry, that was long.

Press, or as some call it shoulder press, or overhead press.

You can use a barbell, dumbbells also work pretty well.

Start with a weight that does not hurt to lift. 3 sets of 5. Increase weight when you succeed at that. Your goal is to use as much weight as you can without pain.

If you ever do push ups make sure your hands are not laterally even with your shoulders. Making a T like that will potentially exacerbate your injury. Your hands should be lower,(relative to your head/shoulders)

^^No diagnosis, because at the time, I'd also sprained my elbow (to the point where I couldn't actually move it) and that actually kept hurting for a bit after I was able to do without a sling (though my pocket was a great substitute. :P) The shoulder didn't start bothering me until about 2 years later, and I never made time to go to a doctor about it. 

^Thanks for the advice! I'd never thought about doing push ups that way. And I have five pound weights I can use for overhead press. Other arm motions aren't as bothersome, just overhead, really. Thanks again; I was worried that I'd put this in the wrong place. :)