Forums are back in action! ×

Stair stepper

OK.. I have a quick question... I started 12 weeks ago.. from walking 2.5 miles and crying afterwards to walking 5 miles 3x a week (if I'm able to get the time).

on my next challenge I want to still walk the 5 miles.. maybe jog some of it... but then do a little stair climbing..

Is there a specific board/area that I can ask some stair stepper questions, ideas, workouts?

Should I go by steps or by floors I've done?? how long should I go.. 5 min?  10 or 30 min??? how long?

I'd love the help.

Achgiguwen,

Level 3 Android ScoutSTR 9|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 4

Starting weight 320 lbs.   Current weight 258.2

I don't know about stair steppers specifically, but I figure the 80/20 is just as it is for other kinds of aerobics.  If we're talking steady-state (you keep up a constant pace throughout), then you'll probably want to shoot for at least 20 minutes at a good intensity every session.  Your heart should be pumping and it should be difficult to hold a conversation.  If you wanted to go for longer, you certainly could - some people shoot for an hour or more during their cardio sessions, though it can be hard to fit that kind of time into your schedule.  You could do less than 20minutes, but you'd want to elevate the intensity of the training to compensate.  It's really all about your goals; if fat loss is the main idea, then I'd do 3-5 sessions a week for 20-60min, as your fitness/schedule/patience allow.  Fat loss is mostly about nutrition anyway.

Initially, I'd set my goals on time: get up to 10min, then 15min, then 20min, then 25, and so forth.  Once I got to the point that my schedule wouldn't allow any more time (say I can't make room for more than a half hour), I'd focus on improving the distance - either steps or floors - that I could achieve within that time.  I might also throw in some interval-style workouts, where the point isn't so much how long I spend training in total or how far I've gone, but how many times I can cycle between heavy and light exertion within a period of time.