Forums are back in action! ×

Machu Picchu

I visited in September 2011, on an organized 4-day trek that finished there. Some comments:

• Machu Picchu was cool, but by that time I'd seen lots of other Inca ruins, so Machu Picchu itself wasn't exceptionally impressive
  • Travelling in Peru in general was really fun - there's lots to do and there is good infrastructure for tourism. Definitely consider your trip to be "travelling around Peru" rather than "ticking Machu Picchu off a bucket list and then coming home"
  • I advise doing the 4-day hike to Machu Picchu. It involves not showering for 4 days, and some moderately tough walking, but was quite an experience. If you do this, go with a reputable company like Llamapath (no affiliation, although I went with them and was impressed) even if they're 50% more expensive than the crappy ones that treat the workers like human rats.
  • During the rainy season, lots of this stuff gets closed. Also it's going to be wet... so definitely make sure you're going "in season"... September was a good time, but check yourself when the dry season is.
  • They advise acclimitizing to the altitude (by staying somewhere above 3000m) for several days before doing the hike. Definitely do do this. If you aren't in Cuzco (or somewhere of similar altitude) for at least 4 days beforehand then you're not being hardcore, you're just asking for headaches, no enjoyment, and in rare cases (friend of a friend) being rushed down to a lower altitude as a medical emergency. Otherwise, it's an experience but you'll be fine :)
  • Everything's nice and cheap ($10/night high-quality hostels with breakfast if you stay in a dormitory; $4 for a standard 3-course meal with drink) but tourist stuff is often quite expensive.
  • Pickpockets etc. are a real threat, but as long as you aren't in the most careless 10% you won't be targetted :) They have "tourist police" to lookafter tourists and are generally very hospitable to tourists.
  • Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity