Forums are back in action! ×

Rebel in dire straits! Reinforcements desperately needed!

So, I work in construction, which in itself is fairly tiring, but I've just started working 10 hour days as opposed to a typical 8, which kicks my ass. On top of that, I have night school twice a week, and I just learned that we'll be working on Saturdays within a month or so. Very soon I'll be working 60 hour weeks + 8 hours of night school. I've been hearing rumors that these 60 hour weeks will last til sometime in December; while it's great for my bank account, it's detrimental to my work outs, soul, and will to live. 

I've finally started to get into the habit of regularly going to the gym; I've been pretty consistent for the last month and a half or so and I've made some really good progress. I'm gripped with the fear that, if I don't get help from somebody, my workload will overpower me and I'll quit going to the gym, completely negating the precious, glorious gains I've made. 

I'm in desperate need of advice and internet friends,and  would like some help formulating a game plan to keep me accountable. My social life and sweet, sweet video game time might be doomed, but I just got on the Gain Train and I can't stop now! My willpower isn't strong enough for me to get through this on my own, and I'm terrified of losing my momentum and being lured by the siren song of sleep and comfort.

Help me Rebel HQ, you're my only hope!

• Like 1

The first time is always the hardest.

Consider starting some bodyweight work.  You can do it at home, which saves a lot of time - and it doesn't require much more than a pull-up bar(or something else to do upper body pulls with) to get started.  For me, it's a 10-minute drive to the gym each way, a few minutes to change, etc. - easily an extra 30 minutes that are not related to the workout itself.  If you're at home, you can just throw on whatever(or not, if you don't feel like it after your workout).  When I'm tired/pressed for time, the biggest hurdle is just convincing myself to go to the gym.  Being able to do bodyweight work at home eliminates that hurdle.

I'm currently working full time plus doing grad school part time.  I also travel a bit for work - but starting later this year I will have more extensive travel and a lot of 60+ hour weeks.  During that time I definitely plan to shift from more conventional gym workouts to bodyweight work that I can do out of a hotel room, or quickly at home.

Equally important(moreso, actually) is keeping your diet where it should be.  While exercise is important, you should still be able to maintain fairly well if you're forced to dial back the exercise, so long as you keep your overall caloric intake at an appropriate level.

• Like 1

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I do fullbody weight workouts in the gym on my lunch break, five days a week.  I never lift for more than 25 minutes at a time.  I would suggest doing a 5x5 style workout plan, and breaking the lifts up throughout the week so that you hit everything twice a week.  You can be in and out in no time.

And bodyweight work is awesome too.  You can do it anywhere, any time.  Set a daily pushup goal and beat it every day.  Same with bodyweight squats or lunges.  If you can pick up a TRX thingy, or a Rip-60 (a cheaper knock-off version I got from Meijer), you can do pretty much everything in a matter of minutes.

You can squeeze workouts in all day any day.  Anyone who says you can't is a failure.

• Like 1