Forums are back in action! ×

Hey all, new to the site. Used to be an avid practitioner in martial arts but had a serious concussion which sidelined me. I couldn't walk for months without getting headaches and am still having trouble going for 5 minute jogs without pain. Neurology docs tell me that there isn't anything that I can do besides keep away from jarring / impact activities (running, karate, etc.). I'm going stir crazy and lost 20 pounds, so I figure now is as good a time as any to build up back from this blank slate into the person I want to be. But, seems like most exercises are out of bounds so I don't know what to do. Do you all have any suggestions as to what kind of exercise I can do to keep moving but not shake my head?

One thing I hope I can bring to the group is a perspective how meditation can facilitate the changes you introduce to your life as you get in shape. During my martial arts training and especially now I have found it to be an invaluable method to calm stress and fight unhealthy compulsions. Just 10 - 15 minutes a day works wonders. When doing this, it is totally fine to have thoughts flying through your head. That's normal. Just let it happen, don't fight it. Eventually, over time (can be weeks), the mind quiets. You're less reactive and susceptible to compulsions each day. It is really fantastic and I highly encourage it as a method to reinforce your new lifestyle.

That's all for now from me, thanks very much!