Forums are back in action! ×

Stronglifts plus HIIT 3X/WEEK enough?

Hi, im pretty into stronglifts but i have a alot of stubborn fat on me especially on my lovehandles. I'm currently 210lbs but I have a goal of 200 by October 14th.

Is HIIT plus stronglifts 3x/week enough for me?

I also eat a breakfast bar and tea in the morning, a small sandwhich and apple at lunch, and usually a plate of some healthy home cooked meal for dinner with salad.

I would wonder about your ability to drop 10 pounds in 13 days. It could be done (and I've done it), but it's going to be a lot harder than you may think. That's just my warning.

So...I would do a hardcore "whole 30" paleo diet for that time. I'd focus on lots of healthy (non-veggie) fats + meats and some veggies, and ignore starchy carbs except for some after the HIIT.

Yeah, stronglifts will work, just make sure you're really pushing yourself. Do sprints and you should be good. Though I would probably do the sprints every 3-5 days, not every day.

My real thought? If you're eating breakfast bars, small sandwiches and "healthy food", you're not doing yourself any favors in the food department. Starvation isn't going to fix this. Real, honest food will.

Personally, I'd toss the scale, not worry about the pounds, and really get on getting healthy, lifting heavy, sprinting and letting the fat take care of itself. If you're caring for your health, the benefits follow.

http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/

http://robbwolf.com/2011/09/29/what-is-the-paleo-diet/

Depending on if you are starting stronglifts just now, the weight might be a little too light. The brilliance of the program is it gives a long buffer period to build consistence and to work on form, considering you start with the bar.

That being said, throwing around the bar won't be burning around too many calories. Your gonna have to focus on hard sprints and your calorie deficit.

But really Clawed_Bear is right. Toss the scale unless your dropping weight for a sport or something.

If you are eating with the goal of losing weight, stronglifts and HIIT may be too much - your body won't have enough food coming in to help you recover. Work as hard as you feel you are able and be sure you are eating good, healthy foods and getting plenty of sleep.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

10lbs in 12 days may not be the best idea.

like alecto said, what youre doing may be too much too.

theres no real way to speed up weight loss - if you expend too much and eat too little your body is going to go into starvation mode and you'll stall your weightloss.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Guest Carjack

There's one way to lose ten pounds in a week, and that's by cutting water weight through severe salt restriction and a steamy bath right before you weigh in.

Completely useless for fat loss though.

There's one way to lose ten pounds in a week, and that's by cutting water weight through severe salt restriction and a steamy bath right before you weigh in.

Completely useless for fat loss though.

There's more than one way to lose ten pounds in a week - who really needs both feet, anyway? Get out a saw and start hacking away! ;)

But yeah, 10 lbs might be unrealistic. Why do you have to reach this particular weight by this day? I'd say make your goal to be doing your best at being healthy for the next 12 days and whatever fat loss you get from that is bonus.

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

Lyle McDonald wrote some great articles on fat loss and proper exercise. There are too many articles to even mention just one so check out www.bodyrecomposition.com and find out for yourself, however the main crux of what he talks about is - loss of body fat is function of calorie intake versus calorie expenditure, and best practice is to couple calorie restriction with resistance training so you don't loose muscle while on a lower calorie intake.

+over 9000 to what Clawed_Bear says, whole food all the way, and although carb restriction is not as necessary as the cavemen fraternity will make out, is also a way of seeing fat loss come on quicker.

Edit: Also, what 67alecto says is VERY IMPORTANT to take on board. Depending on your capacity to recover, SL + HIT will either completely destroy and demotivate you or help you pack on serious muscle. Notice neither of those things are your stated goal of losing fat. Also unless your within the 1% genetic elite who actually are in possession of aforementioned ability to recover, it's not a sound idea to blend methodologies like this.

Are you eating while your reading this?