Forums are back in action! ×

Stronglifts and posture problems

Hello. So, first thread. I just started the 5x5 plan in earnest to put on some muscle after using the NF guide to get down to a healthy weight, but being inactive pretty much throughout my teenage years has left me with some problems. I suffer from lordosis (exaggerated curve in the lower spine), slumped shoulders and very bad flexibility from the waist down.

My problem is that my lordosis prevents me from keeping a flat back and good form in barbell rows and deadlifts (I actually feel my lower back straining during and after rows), and I have to go very wide to be able to squat at all. What would people recommend I do here? Carry on with Stronglifts, doing stretches for these problems alongside it? I worry about doing myself some kind of injury or long-term damage, but I'm kind of a hypochondriac.

Guest Carjack

Bent over barbell rows suck anyway, for the average user. I'd swap them for more deadlift reps or even renegade rows.

If you postpone the powerlifting, you'll be fine doing lighter versions of the exercises to get stretched out.

Lumber spine is lordotic? Train abs. Planks (which can be combiend with a row or push-up-plus), squats, etc. No matter how light you have to start to maintain good form.

You can do goblet squats, progressively lower box squats, face the wall squats, etc. This improves squat form and you can progress from no weight and poor depth to weight and good depth, to a bar on your back and good depth. Also, squat stretch.

Stretch.

Not forward bends like most people do. Balanced flexibility is always good. Hip flexor stretches, etc. Even mehdi says so:

http://stronglifts.com/lordosis-why-it-causes-lower-back-pain-how-to-fix-it/

Hamstring stretches that might help are lying hamstring stretch, ballet bar, downward dog, etc.

Shoulder issues? Face pulls, rows, shrugs, overhead presses, stretching out your chest and lats.

(Everyone correct me if I'm wrong about this. I'm not a physiotherapist.)

@Carjack... we wouldn't dare :D but i would say add cuban presses and some cable shoulder rotations for rotator cuff work on your shoulders and some reverse flyes for pulling your shoulders back, do em on a bench first to prevent the problems with your back, also try doing hyperextensions for your back

i've had posture problems in the past, voice.

work on your flexibility and do things like yoga, but also work on strength training your back.

they make braces that hold your shoulders in the correct place at first, if its really bad consider that.

also, lay with a foam roller like this:

http://www.ptonthenet.com/images/exercises/f_109_foam_roller_chst_static_1.jpg

and try to touch your elbows to the ground... you wont be able to, but it helps stretch all of that out. 30 seconds on 30 seconds off till you accumulate 2-3 minutes.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”