Forums are back in action! ×

Struggles with the bench press

Good day all

I've recently joined a local gym to help in my endeavor of losing weight and working towards gaining lean muscle. On average I walk/jog for about 45 minutes or roughly 3.5 miles a day on a treadmill. Today I ventured out and attempted to weight train without very much success. After barely being able to complete a set of 5 without almost dropping the bar I opted to stop, mind you it was only 75 pounds of weight. I got up held my head down and walked over and did 2x5 of squats. I couldn't even do my normal cardio without even feeling embarassed. Does anyone have any advice on how to increase the ability to bench more?

Thanks,

James

“Out of chaos, find simplicity, From discord, find harmony.†- Bruce Lee

Good day all

I've recently joined a local gym to help in my endeavor of losing weight and working towards gaining lean muscle. On average I walk/jog for about 45 minutes or roughly 3.5 miles a day on a treadmill. Today I ventured out and attempted to weight train without very much success. After barely being able to complete a set of 5 without almost dropping the bar I opted to stop, mind you it was only 75 pounds of weight. I got up held my head down and walked over and did 2x5 of squats. I couldn't even do my normal cardio without even feeling embarassed. Does anyone have any advice on how to increase the ability to bench more?

Thanks,

James

Suck it up, pick a routine, get a spotter and go for it.

When adding a new lift, particularly if you're just starting out, always start with the empty bar. Slowly add weight, focus on form etc.

The RSG, Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength all have programs and details on how to go about this.

Stronglifts is highly recommended. I don't bench, but it's like any other exercise. Start out with the bar and build a solid base, maybe going for 5X10 instead of 5X5 to get the movement down. Some people respond to high frequency, some only 1-3X a week. You're gonna have to find that out by trial and error.

Good day all

Thanks,

James

you're not going to like my answer, but:

why are you embarrassed?

who cares what you're lifting? we all start somewhere, you're out there doing it.

there are tons of resources here on how to increase strength - stronglifts is a great one thats been mentioned, but if you want to follow it you're going to have to leave the ego behind and start with just the bar like everyone else.

its much less embarrassing benching 75lbs than it is hurting yourself trying to lift something you can't.

also - no one's watching.

and you should always warm up with just the bar first anyways.

if you can't do a set of 5 at 75, you shouldn't be doing 75.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

First and foremost, and I say this not to be a jerk but to encourage, nobody's really paying you much attention in the gym. Seriously. Most people are there for themselves, doing their own thing. And I can guarantee that the strongest people in there care the least about what you're doing.

Second, why do you want to bench, anyway? Serious question. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movement. I do it. But why do you want to? You phrasing made it sound slightly more like it's something you think you oughta be able to do, and not necessarily something you think will add definitive value.

Now, on to how to improve.

As others said, just start with a blank bar. Read up on it and watch videos, especially from well regarded trainers. Here's one to start.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMq1rTaErMc

So start with a blank bar, and add 10 pounds or so per workout. You'll blast though that 75lb point in a few weeks.

Another option is to work up your dumbbell bench press strength. Use dumbbells only for a while. Work up to using 50's or more for sets of whatever, and then switch back to the barbell. The movements don't translate exactly (bb benching 100 is not the exact same thing as db benching 50's), it'll get your horizantal pressing strength up, and you'll probably feel more comfortable on the barbell bench.

But really, I'd just go with option 1. Bench a blank bar to start, progressively add weight.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Guest Carjack

I still remember my first time benching for real.

I did a few triples with 135 and then felt like I should try 155. Two reps and on the third the bar started coming down, so I tried in vain to rack it from the bottom.

Bar ended up half racked on the bottom pins and my neck felt sore.

Don't make my mistakes.

Learn correct form:

Get your neck in between the stands so the bar can't crush your windpipe.

Bench starting with the bar every time and work your way up slowly. Don't move up in weight until you can get a good number of reps.

If you have no spotter and want to set a weight/rep PR, see if you have a power cage. If you do, set up like this guy:

If the weight is below 135lbs and your body is made of Krupp steel, you could also roll the bar down to your thighs when you get pinned. You'll feel like cookie dough under a rolling pin, but it's better than racking it poorly.

you're not going to like my answer, but:

why are you embarrassed?

who cares what you're lifting? we all start somewhere, you're out there doing it.

This.

Everyone who lifts, at some point, lifted 95lb. A great lifted once said, if you want to lift 280lb, first you have to lift 275. Weight training is combat sport against yourself, your own mental and physical limits, which can both be overcome, but's it you and you alone in the race. Even when people do compare numbers. I squat 135, which is weak. But i don't sure as hell don't intend to have that as my reason for staying at 135.

Are you eating while your reading this?

I had real problems until a friend pointed me to the "so you think you can bench?" videos on youtube. Applying that advice finally broke my newbie plateau; it's still my weakest lift if the big ones, but progress is now steady.

(sorry no link, I'm all mobile, but nerds have google fu)

Oh man, this and the series of "So you think you can squat" videos rule. Learnt so much from them. Although, like the form and technique descriptions from Starting Strength, bear in mind the type of squat being explained is quite specific (Box Squat vs Low Bar Athletic and so on).

Are you eating while your reading this?

I started my bench press with a curl bar and some weight because I couldn't press 45 pounds. We all start somewhere. Don't worry about what other people think. Challenge yourself and move on

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

Never really had any upper body strength my entire life. First time I pressed 45lbs took a lot of effort. Getting my form right helped a lot. Also, had to just keep at it to keep the bar even.

Mon: DeadLift, Pulldown (Chin grip), DB Rows, Push-ups

Wed: Bench Press, Military Press, DB Press, Chins

Fri: Squat, Leg Press, Good Mornings, Chins, Push-ups