Forums are back in action! ×

Any Current or Ex Military Ppl Here?

I'm 21 and I've been waffling on whether to join the Air Force or not for the past four years, I have finally given myself three months to figure it out...nut up or shut up..and right now I'm about 90% sure that I'm going to join.

Any advice...as long as it's not-don't do it man!

I'm also way behind on the fitness scale so I've been working in some running and strength training, what would be some good practice workouts like pullups, leg lifts, pushups, sit-ups etc?

<-- Behold the Guardian of the Royal Throne, enter if you dare.....

"What lies behind us and what lies before us is nothing compared to what lies within us"~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've had to fight like hell, and fighting like hell has made me what I am"~ John Arbuthnot Fisher

"Every man dies, not every man really lives"-~Braveheart

Guest Snake McClain

I was in the air force. Got injured in basic training, sat in medical hold for three months then they sent me home. :( Still i learned a ton about myself. Life has not been the same (in a good way) since.

Okay so....I say go for it. The air force is the way to go period if you're going to military and don't want your face blown off. Depending on the job though.

My advice...other than being in shape going in there isn't really anyway to prepare you. You will not in anyway be ready for what comes. Just a lot of screaming and hurrying. It will all be like a blur. You won't have any sense of direction AT ALL. You will see nothing but what is directly in front of of you every where you walk for about 7 to 8 weeks. It's just the most disorienting thing ever. If you go in shape and ready to kick ass then that will be one thing you DO NOT have to worry about at all and everything else will be easier. Every single thing you do there, when it is folding clothes DO NOT THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. make folding your shirts the most important thing you've ever done ever. Nothing else matters.

Other than that try to be invisible. Don't talk ever. Don't raise your hand. Just blend in and disappear.

I was in the Air Force reserves for six years as a security forces member. Basic training has changed a little (during my time it was six weeks, I believe it is eight now), but a lot of what BruceMacIness said about basic training is correct. It really is a weird feeling to describe. I remember them having a doctor speak to us on arrival about how we may be constipated for a week or two due to the shock to your system (and boy was he correct).

I would say that the Air Force is a great opportunity for you, but be sure you have ruled out college. The Air Force will still be there when you're done and I often wish I had taken that advice myself.

Do you know which AFSC (career field) you were looking to get into?

Brendan's Workout Log

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill