Forums are back in action! ×

Cleaning Out The Household Pantry

I have finally convinced my parents to stop buying sugar, once and for all.  It took a lot of crying, begging, explaining, research, and arguing to finally stop them from not only using it, but from buying it.  It is such a huge accomplishment and a big step towards helping my family eat healthy.  Now, we use honey, blackstrap molasses, and coconut crystals.  I couldn't buy maple syrup and coconut sap nectar, because I blew my monthly budget on spices, haha.  

May I also mention that I also had my mother (the executive chef of our household) to stop using corn oil, canola oil, and vegetable oil.  I started switching in olive oil (both kinds) and coconut oil.  I haven't switched to animal fat, because they're quite expensive in my opinion and my dad is an age old pescatarian.  Pork and beef gets his tummy all funny.  Foreign food like coconut oil also makes his tummy funny.  He is a very sensitive person, food wise.  I know olive oil shouldn't be used for high heat cooking, but until I can find a better alternative, I'm sticking with it.  Plus, it is A LOT better then canola or corn, right?

OH, I just remembered.  Although, not a 100%, I did manage to stop my family from eating bread and wheat products for 3 months.  Not a 100%, because it's only at home.  When they are out there working and having fun, I am positive it is a breadstick that is going down their esophagus when I am not looking.  Anyways, yeah.  I just wanted to share this everyone.  I still have so much work though.  Wish me luck everyone <3

PS:  In case anyone asks, I didn't mention ghee, because I am lactose intolerant.  Yay, for not being able to eat dairy <3

Cool that you are encouraging your family toward better health.

Ghee does not have any lactose or casein in it. Butter itself is actually very low in lactose too, if you are still reacting to butter, it might be something else than lactose intolerance..I am lactose intolerant, and I kept pushing it and having too much dairy (including butter), totally cut it out for several months, and now I can handle cooking with regular butter.

There are recipes online to make homemade ghee.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oh, really?  Butter gets me tackling towards the bathroom door.  I am terrified of butter and all things dairy in general.  Can dairy allergy trigger it then?  When I think of allergies, I think of the symptoms shellfish allergist and nut allergist goes through:  suffocation and then eventual death.  Well, dairy is off my list regardless.