Forums are back in action! ×

Arms sore from push ups

Sadly, there isn't a great solution to this. It's part of the fact you've been working out hard. Whenever I've had a particularly hard workout, I get Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) about 24 hours later.

The main things I can recommend that help:

1. After your workout STRETCH! I recommend grabbing a PVC pipe and doing "

" and "Around the World (can't find an example)" stretches. There are various other arm stretches that would work the names of which escape me at the moment. You may wish to check with a physical trainer for specific stretches.

2. Drink a lot of water over the next 12 hours. It helps wash out a lot of the nastiness that causes DOMS.

3. Use a foam roller or get a soft ball and press it between your arms and the wall and roll it around. There may be sore points, but it will help makes sure there are no knots in your muscles. CHECK WITH A PHYSICAL TRAINER BEFORE DOING THIS ONE!

4. Mild analgesic is also helpful.

I hope this helps!

In addition to the stretching and water advice, I also find that from a diet standpoint, getting in a good amount of protein (I make a protein shake 'cause it's easy) immediately after a workout seems to stave off a huge amount of my tendency to get sore. And it's always the worst when you're just getting into the routine of exercise. Once your body starts to adapt it's not so bad... and then it's time to try something harder!