Forums are back in action! ×

hand/grip position when heavy squatting

So I posted this in the "ask a question" thread a few days ago, but didn't get any feedback, so figured I'd throw it out there as its own thread.

I have a question specific to squatting. I've read that, especially once you're squatting heavier weights, the best place to position your hands on the bar is close to your shoulders. I think I read somewhere on these boards that 2" from each shoulder is a good distance.

I'm finding that I can't get my grip anywhere near that close to my shoulders. My hands seem to grip the bar about 8-10 inches from my shoulders (and if the squat rack wasn't in the way, I'd probably position even wider). Any closer, and my wrists contort in all sorts of uncomfortable/unsafe ways. Is this just a flexibility issue? What's the main benefit to a closer grip? And if it's a flexibility issue, anyone have a suggested way to stretch that'd help increase my flexibility?

Thanks for any help or insights,

Jeff

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

If I can get any part of my hands on the ring of non-knurled bar by the time I start my work sets, I'm pretty happy with that. I'm a lot wider on ky first warmup set, and bring them in from there.

One of the benefits of bringing in your hands is that it helps create a tighter shelf on your back for the bar to sit.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

It doesn't matter where you place your hands, you aren't really suppose to use your hands that much anyways. Look at Ronnie Coleman when he squats, his hands are as wide as you can get because it cancels out any help from your hands and places everything (stabilization) upon your legs/core.

I lift things up and put them down!