Forums are back in action! ×

Training to do dips

Hi all,

I don't think I can do a single dip, yet. I can get up on the bars, but once I try to go down, my arms can't seem to get me back up. I'm just beginning to work on my strength training routine, (from NerdFitness, of course! :)) but I want to start doing things that can get me to the point of being able to fully include dips into my routine. I've seen the video, evolution of pullups

, and I was curious to know if anyone knew something similar for dips.

Thanks for all the help!

-WilConquer

Guest tparker

Starting dips, push ups, push ups, push ups.

Particularly diamond style pushups, getting the triceps and shoulders. Also, start with something like a coffee table height, where you have your heels on the ground, and start doing dips as such. Also, if you should have access, a lot of gyms do have assisted pull up machines, that also have ways of doing dips.

You know, I've been a bit reticent to use those pull-up/dips assisting machines, because I really do love the philosophy of this group that the best exercises are done free of machines. You make a good point though, that I really shouldn't just eliminate dips out of hand, since there are machines which will help me work up to that point. I think I may try out the dip assisting machine today.

i don't use any of the machines at the gym but I really Love the dip assist. Mainly because you can work your way down to being able to do them without it. That is how I see that Machine. I always reduce the amount I have assisting me. I can pretty much almost do one pull ups without it. At the personal trainers the other day we were doing them with him helping to hoist me up and him just spotting me as I worked my way down.

Honestly if it wasn't for the dip/pull up assist machine I probably couldn't have worked on them at all. That is also in part because I am 5ft1. Using a bench I can still barely reach the bar at the cable machines for unassisted pull ups. I am not about to do jumping up on to that when I can barely reach it.

push ups will help tremendously, as will feet on the floor dips. the lower your hands are in relation to your feet the easier it will be.

you can do static holds on the dip bars to build some strength (just get up and hold yourself for as long as you can). you can also do negatives, where you start out at the top of the dip and lower yourself down slowly. another option is tactical dips where you start from the bottom with your arms bent and raise yourself up, then lower to the ground again.

i hated doing dips... i kinda still do, so i commiserate with you here. :) keep at it, though... it's a very cool exercise... without it you'll never do a muscle-up!

Guest tparker

The assisted machine (platform style) is about the only one I would actually recommend. The dip movement itself (and pull ups for that matter) are not changed drastically. It's still a multicompound muscle exercise, and you are not isolating as is such with other machines. As time progresses, you ween yourself off of it, but still have the same exact motion.

Unlike say, a tricep pulldown.