Forums are back in action! ×

Think you can perform a set of pushups easily? Think again.

So here's the deal.

I thought I was in reasonable shape, push-up wise. After all, my not-so-fancy spreadsheet noted 5x20 decline pushups, didn't they?

Then I read Convict Conditioning.

"Pause one second before getting back up from your bottom stance."

I'd never even considered waiting before getting back up. Meh, I'll be fine, I thought. How hard can a single set be? Let's own this thing. I'll do 30 reps and see if I can get higher.

Do you know how far I got? 13. That's right, thirteen full pushups with pause before I had to drop to my knees and finish that way.

Anyone have similar experiences? I've most certainly got work to do, and I sure as hell will be doing it.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Good stuff. It's a different exercise at that point and there's lot's of stuff going on to explain why it's harder. Cutting out the stretch reflex and more time under tension are the biggies. Good variation that will make you stronger but I wouldn't lose the regular pushups entirely.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs