Forums are back in action! ×

my elbow complains during squats...???

lately my left elbow has been aching quite a bit during lifts, particularly squat (i do low bar) and bench press. i thought bench press hand position was the culprit for a while...so last week i took a week off (mostly to rest, i'd been fatigued). i got back into it, and no pain on bench...but my elbow still ached during and after squats.

i had someone check my squat form and make sure i was holding the bar correctly. they said it was correct and then asked if i type a lot. i do- i'm a desk jockey. he said it might be tendonitis on account of constant typing and then coming to the gym and gripping the bar really hard. also said there probably isn't much i can do about it.

the aching is tolerable, BUT... i want to be sure i'm not damaging something. it also takes some of my confidence away at bench press when it acts up.

I often have a very similar experience with squats and benching. Just below the elbow, a little towards the 'top' of your forearm? I'm definitely also a 12-hours-a-day on average typer. Out of curiosity, are you left- or right-handed? I just wonder if this could make a difference. (Lefty here + left elbow soreness).

A little ice, a little heat, a little ice, a little bengay/tiger balm/icy hot before bed seems to do the trick for me. But mine's not particularly painful, more of an occasional irritant. Spezzy's very right in that if it becomes a serious concern, you need a professional opinion on the matter.

Hemi, have you varied your grip width to see if it happens everywhere?

That elbow-pain with benching sounds likely to be from letting them flare out. Keeping the arms tight by pulling the bar apart (like you're breaking pasta) brings them in and activates everything too.

I'd suggest a grip a bit more inboard, a bit more tits-up-elbows-down, and focus on TIGHT, but that's a half-guess.

I'm a keyboard jockey too, and have a history of going deliciously carpal from all-nighters. The forearm woe I get is a dull, deep ache after the lift into the rest of the day, and it's been reduced massively by doing the heavy lifts with wrist wraps. I don't think that's the same thing you're reporting, but if it is, the compression of wristies might help.

i'm gonna try switching up my grip a little on bench, but i think maybe my grip on squat might be a little narrow, putting stress on my elbow as i strain to keep my wrists straight, traps tight, etc.

btw, andy, can you recommend a youtube video or something? I'm all confused with the inboard-tits-elbows thing. I will try the breaking pasta move though- i can picture that.

i'm having trouble figuring out exactly which muscles are achey, since so much connects at the elbow. all the ache is in my elbow and extends down into my forearm, nothing above the elbow. i think i have someone i can ask where i work. i'll give a full report when i hear from her.

also, i'm a righty, which is why this seems more wierd...and why ONLY my left?

anyways...will get this looked at and keep you posted. thanks everybody!!! <3

...and while I sit here with a stupid ice waterwing, here's Rip's spiel on injuries, with linkage and such: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Injuries

Straight wrists might be my problem - I'm pretty sure my wrists get bent back when I go down. Must get that checked. Now I understand why a couple of the gymrats do heavy squats with wrist wraps. Bah. Flexibility work? BAH!

hey there andy...yep, it's the wrists....i got checked out, and i have basically given myself tennis elbow. when i first demonstrated my form to the gym dude, the bar wasn't loaded with much weight so my wrists looked fine. when i actually lift heavy, my wrists bend back a bit (and with everything to think about when pushing lots of weight, they were not on my radar). this means my arms are bearing some of the load, stressing the elbow. i'm a righty, so my less-developed left hurt first, with my right soon to follow. it was recommended that i switch to front squats for a while, drop weight about 10%, and ice it.

thanks for the input, everybody! beastback- thanks for the articles!