Forums are back in action! ×

So New, Much Wow

Hello to everyone out there :redface: Short-time reader, first time poster but super crazy fan already. I was first drawn to this particular site because, well, I would consider myself a nerd/geek/somesuch. Into anime (Evangelion, Samurai Champloo...), geekish shows (Doctor Who, GoT...), video games (largely story-driven: Mass Effect, Fallout, The Last of Us, etc. you name it).

Besides all of that, I suppose I'll share some of my general fitness background, goals and stats! I'm a 5'5" 23 year old woman at about 180 lbs (it's pretty up and down these days). Long story short, at my most sedentary (roughly 3-4 years ago), I hit about 215 lbs. Severe depression, zero exercise, no job, no school. No surprise. I've since lost a decent bit over time through becoming generally more active. Went to college (picked up one diploma, one certificate), began working, started really dating and getting out more. Now, anything I have done, has come purely out of my own self motivation. I would say that throughout my life I've had a 1% support system. Not one "you can do it" or "that's the right idea!", let alone actual guidance. And my mother was huge on martial arts/yoga/strength training. She did tell me to eat healthy and exercise more, so I guess that's where the 1% is. 

It's probably clear at this point that one thing I'm very much looking for is some kind of support system. I'm not someone that really needs to be pushed, but at this point I know I would gain so much from a little direction and like-mindedness. Anyone I try to talk to about fitness or diet when I get excited, either couldn't care less, or they only care about themselves. In the summer of last year, I started joining a very fit friend of mine at her gym. She showed me some basic moves (deadlift, bench press, squats), and quickly wandered off to complete her own workouts and left me to flounder doing the same thing day in and day out. Eventually it just wasn't worth the trip all the way there just to feel confused and alone. After the first couple times I was going in alone at whatever time worked for me. Then I joined World Health, getting repeatedly effed by the contract. It finally JUST finished. I did work with a personal trainer there for the first couple of weeks or so, and I feel like I learned a lot from her.

With that, I believe I've found that I love the idea of being functionally fit, and I really do love strength training. For a number of reasons I stopped training with her (though knowledgeable, I felt she was generally sloppy and had no interest in MY goals or what I enjoyed or hated. Eg. I could never do one proper set because the weights were always so heavy, I had to constantly twist around and completely sacrifice form to complete half of what she wanted) and eventually stopped going to the gym entirely. But I knew I was on the right track. In a bid to save my confidence and satisfy my curiosity, in November of last year I did the paleo "Whole30", which was great! Of course by the end, I just wanted ONE "bad" thing so so badly, that it just spiraled out of control once I did. Despite that fact that I felt great and mostly satiated during the entire Whole30. Diet-wise, I'm pretty freakin' sure that an 80/20 paleo approach would ensure long-term success for me. I've also yo-yo'd with insane calorie counting, cleanses, all that total crap, but simple CLEAN eating is the only thing that I've ever done that didn't make me feel terrible. And it tastes amazing.

So, now I'm in the midst of finding my class and my place here on this site. So far I'm leaning towards adventurer/ranger! From what I've seen, the people here seem amazing and genuinely inclined to help. I'm really trying to put myself out there so I can continue to learn as much as I can and become the kind of person I know I am. I wasn't too sure how much to include here, some posts are long, some only a few sentences, but eh, gotta start somewhere! 

Thanks for reading if you did! :tongue:

• Like 2

Level 0 Rebel 

STR 0 | DEX STA CON | WIS | CHA 0

"People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -Black science man

Lose 50 lbs by April

0%
0%

- My current challenge -

Hey! Welcome on board.  And yeah, you've come to the right place.  This forum has probably the most diverse, supportive and friendliest communities you could find.  The one thing that I will say is that you've got to get out there and make the effort to integrate into it.  There's so many new people join each day and most of them don't stick around for very long so you've got to be a little pro-active, sub a few challenge threads, join an accountability group (I believe there's even a Dr Who themed one...), or join in with some of the discussions on the main forum.  It sounds like you've already got a fair bit of experience to share and that's what this place is all about.

There's a challenge already under way (started last week) but you could always join in a little late.  Send me a link if you do and I'll follow you and keep you accountable.  ;)  There's a link at the top of  the forum page to the rules/instructions.  Sounds like you've had a look through the site and checked out the guilds.  You have to start as as a Level 1, but from what you've said I'd agree with you about joining the Rangers or Adventurers next time, and there's plenty of great Rebels in both of those groups (check out AlienJenn if you want some awesome Ranger inspiration).

Anyways, hope to see you around

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome!

So glad you posted. Guzzi's right about joining the challenge now. I talked with 2 others, and they got started just recently. I think you'll find what you're looking for here. Support (these Rebels are incredible), information, and respect for what you want to do. We can guide but only so much as you want it.

So check out the Level 1 forum and see what you think. They are doing a mini-challenge about SMART goals so yo can check out how people are setting their goals. You may find some good ideas.

Best of Luck and, again, Welcome!

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hey, sounds like you're really motivated!

You'll find loads of awesome resources and info here at NF. Lots of people willing to help out with questions. :)

Oh and I think you should jump into the challenge too. It's a great way to stay focused on goals and helps keep me accountable.

• Like 2

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

Okay, so here's the link to my challenge thread for anyone that's interested! I'm a little code rusty now so I'm not sure how to link it properly in my signature lol  :topsy_turvy: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54691-luckydots-first-challenge-d/#entry1227056

Level 0 Rebel 

Lose 50 lbs by April

0%
0%

- My current challenge -

Welcome to NF! Good luck in your first challenge...

In the summer of last year, I started joining a very fit friend of mine at her gym. She showed me some basic moves (deadlift, bench press, squats), and quickly wandered off to complete her own workouts and left me to flounder doing the same thing day in and day out.

Honestly, of all the "personal training" stories I have heard, your friend had a very decent plan for you. For someone new to strength training, just working the Big 3 (squats, bench press, deadlifts) is a solid plan. And yeah, you do the same thing day in and day out, but you add weight to the bar everyday. If only she had worked more with you on form, explained the weight progression, and laid out a long term plan, it probably would have worked out much better than those "trainers" who have you do bosu ball squats or whatever the latest fad is...

• Like 1

Welcome to NF! Good luck in your first challenge...

Honestly, of all the "personal training" stories I have heard, your friend had a very decent plan for you. For someone new to strength training, just working the Big 3 (squats, bench press, deadlifts) is a solid plan. And yeah, you do the same thing day in and day out, but you add weight to the bar everyday. If only she had worked more with you on form, explained the weight progression, and laid out a long term plan, it probably would have worked out much better than those "trainers" who have you do bosu ball squats or whatever the latest fad is...

I agree, I recommend the same workouts to anyone who asks. Yeah I just had no idea if continually doing the exact same thing was enough, or if I was working hard enough or too hard...  :nightmare: I never saw her at all anymore and she's tough to get a hold of, so I couldn't just ask a few questions and move forward on my own :/ All the more reason why I'm excited to have multiple people I can rely on for information on a site like this, instead of hanging on every word of one person who vaguely cares. 

• Like 1

Level 0 Rebel 

Lose 50 lbs by April

0%
0%

- My current challenge -