Forums are back in action! ×

Coming back from injury...

Hello! I am a 48 year old mom and wife who is 8 weeks out of a torn calf muscle and trying to get back on track. A little background...

Quite sedentary most of my life. A programmer so many days and nights sitting and staring at my laptop screen. Did several years of fertility drugs and procedures which did nothing for my health and resulted in weight gain. Several miscarriages but finally, at 40, had a miracle baby girl. Started running at 42 after another miscarriage and lost 60lbs. Ran my first marathon at 45 and have completed 3 more since then. 

The last year I have been having hormonal issues which have translated to mild depression and loss of drive to get out there. Gained some weight and ended up tearing a calf muscle which kept me off the road for 8 weeks. During my recovery I started eating primal (which was a HUGE change after 25 years as a vegetarian) and I have to admit I feel better. Trying to get my daughter and my husband (who also runs marathons) to eat less refined carbs, etc. but it  has been an uphill battle! Had to sit out my favorite marathon this month which was a real blow and has stripped away my identity as a runner.

Started back on the road this morning and did 3 SLOW miles with no pain. My 2 ultimate goals are to do an ultra for my 50th birthday (ideally 50 miles) and to BQ by the time I am 50. I have a long way to go but I am at the point that I feel if I don't do it now it is all downhill from here. I would also like to finish my personal training certification because I feel I am able to offer a certain perspective to women of a certain age without the intimidation they might feel from a younger person (this is NOT a condemnation of young trainers, but I know as an "older" person, a young, superfit trainer makes me feel old and fat!). Currently I am a head coach for Girls on the Run and am trying to help young girls find the joy in running and feeling good about themselves.

I do lift weights but want to go heavier and do more bodyweight stuff. No time or money for a gym so everything has to be done at home with dumbbells and a pullup bar.

Oh, and I definitely fit the "nerd" part. I married a comic book collector who games and have been playing D&D for 30+ years. We have turned our 8 year old into a Whovian and a comic book geek who also plays RPGs. :-)

• Like 1

Welcome!!

You are a RUNNER!! Don't let your fears take that away, alright?

We would be super happy for you to join our ranks. We have lots of 'older peeps' myself included and everyone has a perspective to learn from. we could certainly learn from you.

So, how about jumping in on the current challenge? Week one is done, but there are still folks joining. There are articles on the top of the page which will walk you through the building of your challenge and your character. Then hop into Level 1 Rebel Guild and have at it.

Either way, come on over to the Scout challenge thread and introduce yourself in our Tavern. We'd love to get to know you! PM me or Blaidd, with any questions.

Good Luck and Cheers!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On