Forums are back in action! ×

I've been waiting 8 years for this...

Vian

So, this is not a life goal, or fitness goal or anything, but it's something I've wanted for the past 8 years and it finally happened. About 8 years ago on a gardening forum, someone posted a picture of their Epiphyllum Oxypetallum blooming. I fell in love with it. I thought it was the most beautiful, elegant, magnificent flower I'd ever seen, and they said the scent was intoxicating and filled the room, and I wanted to smell it so much. I asked the person that posted the pictures for a cutting and she happily mailed me a piece of the plant, which I potted up. It was doing well for a while, growing roots and new leaves. Then I left it outside one night and we got a surprise frost. It was totally dead. I was so upset. I had no idea where to get another, but I always kept my eyes open for one. I found related species in different colors at various garden stores, but not my big white epiphyllum, my night blooming cerus. Then about 2 years ago, I went with my local orchid society to an orchid grower about 3 hours away, and in their orchid greenhouse was an enormous epiphyllum oxypetallum. I asked them if I could have a cutting and they gave me a huge piece for free. I took it home and potted it up and it's been growing well for 2 years (and I make sure it's not outside if there's even the remotest chance of frost!) and I've finally been rewarded with a single flower. Once it gets larger, I'll get several flowers at a time, but for now, I'm thrilled with just the one. The flower is as big as my spread hand (about 8" across) and is only open for a single night.

DSCN3164_zpsfa338a14.jpgDSCN3172_zps3a2d60ea.jpg

• Like 3

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald