Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

not had time to check grammer etc so be kind

You wrote your defeat out in splendid detail.

Dont worry my general will take care of that pain in your generals shoulder, nothing chopping his head off wont fix!

Lol.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

A raven flew overhead. Axel thought of the troops he had assembled as he saw the enemy's undead horde. His troops' number was meager, but all of them fierce fighters who would fight well in the face of even overwhelming odds, which was good because the enemy horde had them clearly outnumbered. Numbers themselves did not mean victory, though, and Axel's Norsemen would fight well. Fierceness in fighting and good tactics could still bring them victory. What Axel was uncertain about was the single Yhetee guarding each flank. Axel had needed strong troops on his hird's flank. The Yhetees could be key to their victory, but first they had to react, but if they did, and they regenerated when injured, they could take out the enemy's entire flanks, maybe more. A voice echoed in his mind, "You will lead them to victory, or you will lead them to Valhalla." Victory or defeat didn't matter. Axel knew that all of his troops were worthy to go to Valhalla.

The raven cawed above the battlefield as Axel's hird and the undead horde charged eachother... exept for the yhetees. Axel and his Norsemen were too absorbed in the clash to come to worry about that now though. They would fight well no matter what. The hunters would still do their best to beat back the enemy flanks, and with any luck the dumb snow trolls would move to attack eventually, and might have an easier time breaking through the enemy flanks if the hunters could reduce their numbers some first.

As the opposing forces got nearer to each other, the hell bats on the enemy flanks come in range of the hunters and they loose a volley of arrows, but are only able to kill one of the beasts. The yhetees still stand with a blank, dull look on their faces, not moving. Due to their speed, the enemy's wolves meet the marauders of Axel's personal guard in the middle, and lunged sending two Marauders to Valhalla, but not before those marauders slayed two of the beasts and six others were slain as well.

Finally, one of the snow trolls moves forward while a sinister light takes one of the fallen dire wolves and it gets back up. The hunters loose another volley of arrows, but none of them strike true. The dire wolves on the right flank swarm the one snow troll to move and wound it terribly, but that doesn't stop the fearsome beast from striking wildly at the pack slaughtering them all as it falls. In the middle of the field, the rest of Axel's marauders met the enemy's terrible crypt horrors on either side of the clash between Axel's personal guard and the enemy wolves. On the left, the crypt horror kills all but one of the marauders, but the remaining marauder, fighting back against the fear threatening to grip him, determined to slay the horror, not willing to back down. On the right, the marauders let forth a great cry as they clash with their crypt horror, flying in to a frenzy. They slay the horror, while it returns the favor to 4 of their number. In the middle, Axel's guard take down another seven of the wolves without any marauders falling to the wolves.

The remaining snow troll remains completely oblivious to the battle taking place as the enemy commander once again raises one of the fallen dire wolves. The hunters try to hold back the enemy on the flank where the yhetee fell and shoot down six hell bats. Dire wolves finally reach the oblivious troll ripping in to it. It smashes at them, "khuu! khuu! khuu! khuu!" and kills the pack as it falls. In the middle of the field, on the right, skeletons move up to take the place of the slain crypt horror, and attack the marauders killing the other 6 of them, but they destroy 4 of them before falling. On the left, the lone remaining marauder in an incredible display of determination, single-handedly dispatches the remaining crypt horror, but not before it wounds him fatally the raven caws overhead as he goes on to Valhalla. In the middle, Axel's guard dispatches seven more dire wolves without any of their number falling.

There is another sinister light from Albretch Von Carstein, but none of the enemy horde is brought back. The hunters, still working to hold the flanks, shoot down five of the nine Fell bats on one of the flanks leaving only four on each flank. A blood knight from the enemy's rear tramples corpses to charge the hunters while the fell bats move in to flank them the hunters try to lash back at the blood knight as they fall, but are unable to kill him. With Axel and his guard as the only Norse troops remaining, they kill five dire wolves as the wolves attack futilely and they are flanked by skeletons which down 3 marauders while the marauders destroy one skeleton.

This time, Albretch raises four skeletons to fight the remaining Norsemen. The marauders slay five more dire wolves before they are swarmed.

Axel and his men let out a fearsome battle cry, determined to fight fiercely until their last breath. As the last of Axel's men fall around him, a voice echos around him saying, "It's not your time yet," he feels a pull and disappears in a swarm of feathers. When the feathers clear, the Valkyrie Rán Kavik stands before him. He had met her once before during his rite of passage to become a warrior or dreamt he had met her, he hadn't been sure. When she speaks she tels him, "You and your men fought fiercely today. You were not meant to win, but neither were you meant to die. If you work hard enough, you can assemble a mighty hird, and some of the men who fell today may even come back to fight by your side again," and with that she disappeared.

• Like 7

My thanks, ItsDaniel, for writing up our little tale.  I must, however, give credit to our host D_R for the poetic description of the destruction me guns rained upon the strand.  The man has a bard's talent for turning a phrase.  

And now, I'm off to prepare for the next round.  The gods of war are fickle, and the tide may run the other way next time we meet on the field.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

My thanks, ItsDaniel, for writing up our little tale.  I must, however, give credit to our host D_R for the poetic description of the destruction me guns rained upon the strand.  The man has a bard's talent for turning a phrase.  

And now, I'm off to prepare for the next round.  The gods of war are fickle, and the tide may run the other way next time we meet on the field.  

I agree! Thanks DR for all the time you put into it. I feel a little bad about the "blah blah blah war"  ...your write-up was much more precise than mine :-)

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Wow! Enjoying the write-ups - they're more like novellas than the play-by-play I did. Now I want to go back and rewrite the Amazon/Norscan match up. Probably won't have time, though.

I'm trying some new exercises this time. Really liking the yoga! Got a book last night and will try some twisty-bendiness tonight. And this PVP is getting me back to my Arnis forms! I'll be at 7,000 feet for a couple of days, so I'll probably be handicapped on my cardio a bit, but I get to go play Amazon with my battle sticks out in the forest - woohoo!

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hum .... I think you should points for authenticity!

DR, do you know when the next battle will be?  I'm going to be out of town - still doing my workouts!!! - but internet will be something I need to seek out.  

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

We need time to replenish our forces. I also need time to process the battles. Therefore, the deadline is until Friday night. Come next weekend, I'll start processing the next round. Meanwhile, there may or may not be slight tweaks to the rules that may or may not be announced. Keep working out people, cn3wton is bent on (Old) World domination!

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

The Pirates of Sartosa will never bow!!!  (Thanks, DR)

• Like 1

We need time to replenish our forces. I also need time to process the battles. Therefore, the deadline is until Friday night. Come next weekend, I'll start processing the next round. Meanwhile, there may or may not be slight tweaks to the rules that may or may not be announced. Keep working out people, cn3wton is bent on (Old) World domination!

My units are always up for a fight to "test" out new mechanics.

• Like 3

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I can also fly in and help with testing and trial runs.  Just give me a heads up.  I'm able to see what's going on via Tapatalk (new danger zone app there!!), and I'll have my laptop with me so that I can work play around with what I really love in life ..... life improvement games.  

The+Flying+Ship.jpg

• Like 2

Just to confirm, our armies and orders are due Sunday night? I ask because I see no new posts and also because I was planning on doing a workout today but got invited out to dinner and ran out of time so I'm working out tomorrow instead (yay more troops!). I did have time for a 30 minute cardio a.k.a. going for a run with the dog this morning though.

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

DarK_RaideR VS Red1263 Battle Conclusion

(Sorry for the lateness of this post)

Turn 1 & 2

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!" Was the battle cry that started the battle as the Greenskin army bolted towards Chaos Dwarvern units. As soon as the Warboss finished yelling, the Hobgolins from the Chaos Dwarven side, who immediately discovered themselves directly infront of the hulking orc unit, yelled and charged... the other way accompanied by the Sneaky Gitz. The Hobgoblins to their side were overcome by a thirst for blood and in their rage fought amongst each other, however seeing the death of just one, caused them to be fueled enough to fight more.

On the greenskin side, cowardice was also abound as the Night Goblin unit, being filled with anxiety more than bloodlust, the unit of Night Goblins nerves were tense, so much so, that one of them supposedly caught an orc in Redskar's unit pointing and laughing at the slump in his hat. Immediately filled with equal amounts of pride and shame, he convinced his buddies, all 59 of them, to charge the Orc units to a battle to the death. By the time Redskar calmed them down, 14 Night Goblins and 19 Orcs were already slain. Redskar looked at the remaining orc and sighed, "Youse ijits, Deyz ar' da un's we be fightin'!" Not to leave an opportunity go amiss, the Devastators aimed and targeted the remaining Night Goblins and seven of them fell. The remaining troops looked at each other for only a brief moment before squeaking a, "See ya, Boss." leaving their general alone with the surviving orc.

Turn 3

As the troops advanced closer and closer together, the Center Hobgoblins were the ones who became overwhelmed with rage and killed two of their own. The remaining orc next to Redskar kept looking around and his feeble mind also became infused with rage and hatred at the thought of his fellow orcs being killed by "stinkin' gobbos" He immediately left his general's side to the remaining Night Goblin unit and started hacking and slashing them to pieces, Redskar followed him but by the time he caught up, all that was left was his bloodied body piled underneath a heap of 35 dead Goblins. Redskar stood infuriated at the lack of discipline in his troops as the corner of his eye caught the Savage Orc Boar Boyz stuck in an endless battle of Rock, Choppa, and Knife. The Devastators were laughing as they set their sights upon the only unit that was even deemed a threat to them, the heavily armored Black Orcs. As they emptied their guns, their laughter quickly died when not a single one fell, even worse when said Black Orcs flanked a squad of Hobgoblins, mowing down 8 of them and losing none of their own. The Hobgoblins however mustered enough spine to stay in combat with the armored orcs. On the other side of the field, the remaining Night Goblins launched their secret weapons 2 doped-out-of-their-minds Fanatics, towards the other Hobgoblin unit before charging into battle. One Night Goblin caught an unsuspecting Hobgoblin, while the other troops took out 5 of them. the one of the Fanatics, whirling their iron ball and chain, decapitated 10 Hobgoblins, and the other Fanatic squashed the remaining 6.

Turn 4

To no one's expectations, does the remaining Night Goblin unit charge the Devastators, caught between the unit of Night Goblins and the whirling danger of the Fanatics, the Devastators chose to aim at the insane wielder of death and was able to kill one of them. The Black Orcs immediate charged the Immortals, hoping for a worthy fight, and in their fight, the Black Orcs were victorious in slaying all of them, however at the cost of half of their troops. Basking in the blood of their slain enemy, they were caught off-guard as they were flanked by the Hobgoblins and enslaved Black Orcs. The battle that followed please Gork and Mork as the only casualties were 5 slain Hobgoblins and 6 enslaved Black Orcs. 

The Central Hobgoblin unit was commanded to sacrifice themselves for the greater good, by snuffing out the last Fanatic, who took 7 Hobgoblins with him, in his death throes. In the Devastator vs Night Goblins, the battle saw 3 slain Devastators against 5 Night Goblins who became courageous enough to stay in battle, unfortunately for them, they got flanked by the remaining Immortals. The battle between them was something that almost made Redskar smile, almost. The Immortals found themselves slain and skewered by the Night Goblins but not before killing 8 of the green midgets, and yet, almost as if possessed by Gork... maybe Mork, the Night Goblins stood their ground, against their better nature... for a moment. As one finally counted who was left, immediately broke rank and fled, the rest of the unit followed suit.

Turn 5

Redskar surveyed the field, all that was left was half of his Black Orcs against the Devastators, the Hobgoblins, and both Sneaky Gitz's... and those lousy Savage Orc Boar Boyz still stuck in Rock, Choppa, and Knife!

The Devastators took this opportunity to take out two of Savage Orc Boar Boyz, who were just spectating, as they did, it was a sight to be seen as both, the Greenskin Black Orcs and the Enslaved Black Orcs charged at each other headfirst into battle, when the dust settled, it was the Greenskin Black Orcs who stood tall, tall enough to be attacked by the Hobgoblins, losing one of their own before slaying the rest of the accompanying unit.

And off in the Distances of the battlefield, The Sneaky Gitz finally returned to their ranks and the Night Goblins rallied, thinking that they might win this fight.

Turn 6

The Sneaky Gitz's try their luck, as one threw their shurikens at the Black Orcs while the other at the Savage Orc Boar Boyz, The Black Orcs had enough sense to use shields and armor to protect themselves, while the Savage Orc Boar Boyz thought that 3 of their own dead, wasn't enough of an excuse to break the game of Rock, Choppa, Knife. The Devastators helped by targeting the Black Orcs, but to no avail as their bullets couldn't pierce their armor.

Feeling excited from all of the attention, the Black Orcs charged the Devastators chopping down 3 of them without losing any one. However, the Sneaky Gitz fight back, helping their Dwarvern masters, but this only caused half of them to be slain in the process, as the Black Orcs stood tall.

At Zarthan's command the other Sneaky Gitz unit charges the lone Savage Orc Boar Boy, who's wondering why no one else was playing and slit his throat. No one expected that his enraged fury at the interruption of the game (and having blood oozing from his throat) was just enough to send him and his boar in a wild frenzy that takes the lives of every Sneaky Git in that unit.

Redskar and Zarthan stood across each other on the Battlefield, with nearly every single unit they brought dead, fleeing or wounded, neither one could sense victory for themselves nor for the other. They merely locked gazes over the corpses, each hating the other more and more, until simultaneously, they both turned away and left.

The Gods must have a sense of humor as these two evil forces met on the battlefield and only found blood and death...

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Loved the battle write up too, typical orc chaos. Good to hear that we have longer this time to recruit, it means I don't have to work out so hardcore that I can't lift a paper while I'm teaching tomorrow lol. I'll still improve on my last workout but I'm not going to do the Princess Bride thing. "To the pain!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_keWS1i3RA 

BIGTIME UPDATE

• You may notice that recruitment costs and APVs have risen, especially for core units. That is because they have been upgraded with more weapon options and better armor. This should allow for more flexibility as well as push us all to train harder. If you have already recruited new units since your last battle, either convert them back to points and start recruiting from scratch or calculate the difference and do the necessary workouts to cover it.
  • Starting next battle, Core squads will have 1 hit point per unit, Special squads will have 2 and Rare 3. That way, to give an example, an Attack result of 6 may result in 6 Core unit casualties or 3 Special unit casualties or 2 Rare unit casualties
  • Also starting next battle, there will be no more direct/indirect fire. Shooting is unified into one mechanic, with the only restriction being that you may not shoot an enemy who is in melee combat with one of your squads, due to the risk of friendly fire. Unless you're leading a Skaven army, but that's another story
  • In an ongoing attempt to simplify things, feel free to use a more descriptive/narrative approach to your army's deployment and orders, instead of strictly determining where each squad will be and their entire behaviour protocol. Also, battle reports will no longer include extended analysis on rolls and modifiers.

Stay tuned for weekly RP challenges and a map for world domination!

• Like 7

Lvl 65 Multitasker

BIGTIME UPDATE

• You may notice that recruitment costs and APVs have risen, especially for core units. That is because they have been upgraded with more weapon options and better armor. This should allow for more flexibility as well as push us all to train harder. If you have already recruited new units since your last battle, either convert them back to points and start recruiting from scratch or calculate the difference and do the necessary workouts to cover it.
  • Starting next battle, Core squads will have 1 hit point per unit, Special squads will have 2 and Rare 3. That way, to give an example, an Attack result of 6 may result in 6 Core unit casualties or 3 Special unit casualties or 2 Rare unit casualties
  • Also starting next battle, there will be no more direct/indirect fire. Shooting is unified into one mechanic, with the only restriction being that you may not shoot an enemy who is in melee combat with one of your squads, due to the risk of friendly fire. Unless you're leading a Skaven army, but that's another story
  • In an ongoing attempt to simplify things, feel free to use a more descriptive/narrative approach to your army's deployment and orders, instead of strictly determining where each squad will be and their entire behaviour protocol. Also, battle reports will no longer include extended analysis on rolls and modifiers.

Stay tuned for weekly RP challenges and a map for world domination!

Yay a ranged unit! HUZZAH

This pvp will continue to get better, and I will continue my quest for world domination!!!!

• Like 1

Good thing I was tracking my totals, will make converting extra easy.

My super awesome spreadsheet has been a god send.

I only entered the troops I lost in the first battle, so it told me how many reps I had left. 

• Like 1

My wife was teasing me for my super basic spreadsheet "you know excel will do your math for you right?" lol

Somehow in my head doing the multiplication on a calculator is easier than entering formulas in excel.. weird.

So far I've got one functional unit (hurray!) and two almost there units.

I'm also intentionally taking a single longbeard, I figured that would be Cousin Belegar lol, don't know if that works though. Maybe we can add a way to recruit heroes?

• Like 1

My wife was teasing me for my super basic spreadsheet "you know excel will do your math for you right?" lol

Somehow in my head doing the multiplication on a calculator is easier than entering formulas in excel.. weird.

So far I've got one functional unit (hurray!) and two almost there units.

I'm also intentionally taking a single longbeard, I figured that would be Cousin Belegar lol, don't know if that works though. Maybe we can add a way to recruit heroes?

Dude my spreadsheed wizardry has grown thanks to this challenge.

I have seperate sheets that get data from eachother. One tracks my losses and current totals, while telling my if  I have enough of the units to field in battle. Then it takes those numbers and on a different sheet totals their APV and if I have the required precentages for each.

Then I have sheets for each week to see how many troops I recruit per week.

As far as having people in your army that aremore than just fodder you can definitely write them into the story, but keep it as a RP aspect for now.

• Like 3

Dude my spreadsheed wizardry has grown thanks to this challenge.

I have seperate sheets that get data from eachother. One tracks my losses and current totals, while telling my if  I have enough of the units to field in battle. Then it takes those numbers and on a different sheet totals their APV and if I have the required precentages for each.

Then I have sheets for each week to see how many troops I recruit per week.

As far as having people in your army that aremore than just fodder you can definitely write them into the story, but keep it as a RP aspect for now.

I'm sure I'll edit my spreadsheet as our PvP progresses to make it easier on myself as well, I'll happily keep Cousin Belegar as roleplay only for now, it would be a shame to see him die in battle (and it gives me a full squad of warriors instead of being short 1).

Also I found a picture of what my Dwarf would look like, though he needs more armour.. Wish I had the artistic talent to draw the picture in my head.

Pirate_Dwarf_Level_2_by_NachoMon.jpg

• Like 2