Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

This pvp will continue to get better, and I will continue my quest for world domination!!!!

Well buddy, I've gotta say, You're only half-right

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

The Jaguar Mother, head of the Sisterhood of Amazon warrior priestesses, motioned for Alala to rise. "You have done well, Alala. You know the prophecies we seek to understand and, now that I have read your dreams, I believe you are chosen of Rigg to be the Guardian of our shores. You will lead a larger army into your next battle, with warriors I select myself." The Mother's cloak of iridescent feathers streamed over her shoulders and brushed across the backs of the perfectly matched twin jaguars that reclined sphinx-like to either side of her.

Aiaia remained silent, but for all her efforts to contain it, her doubt must have shown on her face.

"Speak, Daughter of the Jungle and Rider of the Black Jaguar," the woman second only to the Queen herself commanded. "Why do you doubt Rigg's will?"

Alala answered, "My spells faltered, Mother. I did less well as the leader of an army than I have done many another time as a leader of a single group of Huntresses. My missteps and inexperience cost a whole squad of Amazon warriors and a pack of Huntresses their lives, and losses of Jaguar Warriors, as well."

"You know, as well as I, that we will not escape unscathed in the days to come. And I know that you understand that every one of those women died an honorable death, willingly, doing their best and trusting that you were doing yours. What is really troubling you, Alala?" The eyes of the Jaguar Mother looked into Alala's very soul.

"That my best will not be good enough."

Silence. The incense in the anteroom to the main temple curled and rose towards the opening in the ceiling, escaping upwards into the blue sky.

When the Jaguar Mother spoke, it was like the sound of the breeze through the upper treetops, high above the jungle floor. "Being chosen of Rigg is no guarantee of success, Daughter. And neither is it your place to judge your fitness. The outcomes, and the consequences of those to any and all of us, lie in the hands of powers far greater than ourselves. You duty is the same, whether the darkness we have beheld is repulsed from our shores or if every last one of us dies in the attempt to maintain our way of life."

Alala bowed low in response. "I will do my best, Mother. I swear it on the graves of my mother's mother and her mother before her."

"I know you will. There is one more thing I ask of you, though."

Alala straightened to listen and inclined her head.

"I am sending you on a pilgrimage to meet and bring back two of the warriors I have selected for you. You will understand why, once you have traveled to their realm."

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Weekly Challenge, Oct. 6-10

Every great general knows the difference a motivating speech can make for the morale of his troops. It can turn peasants into stalwart defenders, doubters into warriors and a great public speaker can even get away with promising his troops that they'll dine in hell when there is no such thing as hell in their religion and get away with it *cough cough*. This week's challenge is to roleplay your general's speech, in the light of the previous and the upcoming battle, even if you don't know yet who your next foe shall be. The only catch is you actually have to make the speech before posting it, not just write it and post it here. Doesn't matter if you say it in front of a mirror, to your pets or make a video speaking to the camera. Work on your public speaking skills and don't be afraid to really get in the role. This is meant purely for fun and personal development, but just to make it more rewarding, your troops will go into the next battle with a +1 bonus to their Morale rolls

• Like 4

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Every great general knows the difference a motivating speech can make for the morale of his troops. It can turn peasants into stalwart defenders, doubters into warriors and a great public speaker can even get away with promising his troops that they'll dine in hell when there is no such thing as hell in their religion and get away with it *cough cough*. This week's challenge is to roleplay your general's speech, in the light of the previous and the upcoming battle, even if you don't know yet who your next foe shall be. The only catch is you actually have to make the speech before posting it, not just write it and post it here. Doesn't matter if you say it in front of a mirror, to your pets or make a video speaking to the camera. Work on your public speaking skills and don't be afraid to really get in the role. This is meant purely for fun and personal development, but just to make it more rewarding, your troops will go into the next battle with a +1 bonus to their Morale rolls

I love it, every single bit of it! awesome challenge

I especially love this bit

even get away with promising his troops that they'll dine in hell when there is no such thing as hell in their religion and get away with it *cough cough*. 

• Like 1

I'm on a tiny little screen. So forgive a basic question. Do we need to convert surviving troops back to reps and re-recruit?

Sent through a magic box.

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Sweet spreadsheet goodness!!

Sent through a magic box.

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Introducing the Old World Domination Map

(Clicking on the image will allow you to download a higher resolution version, in order to clearly see the names of each place)

Old-World-Domination-Map.jpg

Legend

Purple – Chaos (Slaanesh)

Light Blue – Norse

Dark Green – Albion

Orange – Dwarfs

Red – Vampires

Black – Pirates

Fuchsia – Chaos Dwarfs

Bright Green – Greenskins

Dark Blue – High Elves

Yellow – Amazons

By participating in the first round of this PvP, you have been awarded a patch of land (or two). Think of it like the gifts for those who pre-ordered a game or helped fund it, my little thank you to all of you who have been here since day 1. So, how does that affect the PvP?

Every week you may deploy any number of your squads in a country you control in order to defend it or send them to a neighboring country to take it over. If more than one players move troops into the same country, battle commences. If a player is the only one to move into an unoccupied land, he will just have to battle whatever meager resistance the locals manage to muster. Every round, a general may be in one country, so be careful which troops you personally lead and where.

Q: What if we lose all lands we control?

A: The general is slain and his army scatters. The player will have to create a new general, perhaps from a different nation and start over again

Q: How do I create a new general? And what about new players who want to join?

A: The creation process is the same, pick a nation and a starting ability for your general. New generals always start in the terrain responding to their nation. If it is held by a foreign power, they must battle against it. For freedom!

Q: Some nations have more than one generals/players

A: Unless they call out each other, these players are on the same side. Their nation is stronger but will also have more enemies

Q: So how do I face a nation with several generals or huge armies?

A: Contact other players and propose a common strike or even a lasting alliance. Combine your forces for a powerful blow against whoever threatens to take over the world!

Obviously, all this opens up several options, since you can keep all your forces home for a strong defense until your forces grow, spread them out for quick conquest or do a focused strike in one country. Generals now can make a huge difference if present or not, so moving them around is something to think about. Last, but not least, diplomacy and backstabbing becomes a part of the PvP.

Let’s turn this to 11!

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

No. Survivors are unaffected, in order to avoid complicating things further. The increased costs and conversion/re-recruiting stuff apply only to any units recruited after the battle

Damn I spent a good portion of last night converting them. Oh well I'm not gonna bother changing it. Just meas I have to work even harder.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

A: Contact other players and propose a common strike or even a lasting alliance. Combine your forces for a powerful blow against whoever threatens to take over the world!

1) do you have to both be able to attack the person to assist another player

2) why do I feel like your pointing at me...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

1) do you have to both be able to attack the person to assist another player

2) why do I feel like your pointing at me...

1) For simplicity's sake (at the cost of "realism") at least one of the "allied" players has to be able to attack the target player. He invites the rest over at his place and they all invade from the same path.

2) Do you regret growing to such proportions, perhaps? Are you not prepared for the burden of being No.1 and having a target on your back? Maybe you don't trust your recruiting powers? Or do you think there aren't any nations that could take you on, 1 on 1? I know the Pirates, Amazons and High Elves would love to spend some rounds raining Ranged death upon your army...

Recap: To do until Friday night

1) Recruit

2) Make and post speech

3) Assign which squad goes where and where the general will be at

4) Any extra RP and diplomacy is optional

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Ohhhh so the Norse players are in the same territory.

Two birds with one stone anyone?

Muahahahaha!

Messengers carrying dreghars will shall be sent out shortly.

• Like 1

2) Do you regret growing to such proportions, perhaps? Are you not prepared for the burden of being No.1 and having a target on your back? 

I regret nothing!

• Like 1

Into your camp walks a strangely clothed man. His tattered purple garb thrashes about as he moves. He is unarmed, and stops before the guards can move to apprehend him, he raises his arms above his head. His eyes begin to glow a rich purple. His voice is unnaturally loud, and reaches even the farthest corners of your camp.

"Foolish general, hear my words. Dreghar will slay all who stand against him. You have but two options. Serve with him, or die. Fear him, for what can you possibly do to a man who cannot die? Death itself will be nothing but eternal bliss for those who serve Slaanesh! Every man and woman shall recieve pleasure beyond imagination, and the spoils of war are for all, not just those who lord above you. Choose to fight for your own glory and no one elses!"

The man begins to lower his arms, a large smile spread across his face. Those nearest him seem wary and uncertain. 

Do you heed the call?

I was going to PM each of you but I figured this would be easier. You can go ahead and PM with your responses! 

when do you want us to declare what territory we are going for

By Friday night, PM me with which squad goes where. All the previous deployment stuff (front/back/flank and orders) is optional. If you have an ally, such as Albion and Norse players, use the time until then to PM each other and organize yourselves. I'll cross-reference the moves and process the corresponding battles. Until then, you're free to publically announce, threaten, challenge and bluff about your moves B)

Lvl 65 Multitasker

2) Do you regret growing to such proportions, perhaps? Are you not prepared for the burden of being No.1 and having a target on your back? Maybe you don't trust your recruiting powers? Or do you think there aren't any nations that could take you on, 1 on 1? I know the Pirates, Amazons and High Elves would love to spend some rounds raining Ranged death upon your army...

While the pirates are close, the amazons and high elves seem to be cowering on the other side of the world. Their destruction will have to wait.

Does the map connect left to right? And can anyone claim sea areas?

No, the map does not connect east-west or north-south. To the east are still the Eastern Steppes (Home to tribes of Hobgoblins and Ogres), Cathay (China), Nippon (Japan) and others, which for now are unavailable. Sea areas are just passageways for now. Lands with the castle/stronghold icon may matter, but it is not yet clear how. I don't want to add a complicated siege mechanic. As for those with barrel icons (or the crown in the Empire), nevermind that. they're leftovers from the base map I used.

This thread needs to stay with this challenge after Oct. 26th, hence the change in its title. Once the next one begins, I'll have to start a new topic, with all the finalized rules in the initial post

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

No, the map does not connect east-west or north-south. To the east are still the Eastern Steppes (Home to tribes of Hobgoblins and Ogres), Cathay (China), Nippon (Japan) and others, which for now are unavailable. Sea areas are just passageways for now. Lands with the castle/stronghold icon may matter, but it is not yet clear how. I don't want to add a complicated siege mechanic. As for those with barrel icons (or the crown in the Empire), nevermind that. they're leftovers from the base map I used.

This thread needs to stay with this challenge after Oct. 26th, hence the change in its title. Once the next one begins, I'll have to start a new topic, with all the finalized rules in the initial post

Got it. 

18 minutes after the messenger reached you guys and still no one wants to serve Dreghar... I thought for sure you would all be cowering at his feet by now... Lol

The roar of the crowd was deafening as Dreghar stepped onto the stage. All forms of debauchery took place within the crowd, but all ceased as he stepped forth.

Two attendants moved forward to prepare him. Coating his bodies in oils and all manner of things. 

"I will not be with you during this trial, if you are lost there will be no coming back." The she demon said as she caressed his now transformed arm.

He would have it no other way. The demon had spent much of her strength to give him this opportunity, he would not squander it. If he was to conquer this world he would need mighty warriors to lead his armies, and the demon knew just where to find them.

The cultists prepared the ritual that would send him into the demons lair. He gripped the halberd from his fallen enemy, only a weapon with such daemonic energy would survive the journey. As the cultists finished the ritual sacrifices he stepped into the center. 

"You will come back to me Dreghar, I am not done with you  yet."

The world was torn away from him, he felt himself being pulled apart piece by piece. He awoke to find himself in the lair of some great beast. Its fresh kills lie strewn about. Then he saw it, hunched in the corner over the corpse of some large animal. He had seen these beings before, but none so massive. Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, a being that had lived for millenia. It turned as Dreghar stood left with nothing but his weapon. The beast let out a low rumbling laugh.

That was all the warning Dreghar had before the ogre charged. Swinging a greataxe as if it was feather light. Dreghar dodged just in the nick of time, but the beast swung at him as he passed. Dreghar blocked with his halberd, the immense force rattling the bones in his arms all the while laughing sadistically, this is the type of battle he had waited for his entire life.

He traded blows with the beast. Each opened numerous wounds on its foe, but Dreghar was not here for the kill. As the mighty ogre swung with a great sweeping arc he ducked below, then leapt up onto the beast, taking hold of whatever he could grip he stared into the eyes of the great being. He swung his new arm repeatedly into the beasts face screaming at the top of his lungs "Serve me or perish."

The beast dropped its weapon and attempted to rip Dreghar off but the blows where too disorienting, the beast dropped to its knees before long, black blood streaming from numerous wounds upon its body. It looked up with one last defiant gaze then bowed its head in an act of subservience. Dreghar roared in triumph.

He could feel the she demon calling for him, trying to bring him back to his realm. They where torn into the other dimension, and it took all of Dreghars will not to collapse. But as he appeared seemingly out of nowhere he could not help but smile as those in attendence recoiled in fear. At the sight of the Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, or their master covered in the beasts blood he could not be certain. This was the time.

"Followers of Slaanesh, I have brought unto you great pleasures, however there are far more opportunities to grasp. In this new world I hope to forge you will be truly free. Death itself will hold no fear for you. As we cut our way through all that oppose us know we will do nothing but grow stronger. This very world will tremble in fear as we march upon it. Join me in victory!"

The crowd broke out into a frenzy, relishing in anything and everything. The she demon approached him. 

"I knew you would be victorious, I have a gift for you." She motioned and a few attendants moved forward, carrying armor of remarkable detail. The helms faceplate was fashioned in the likeness of a man, one side showing despair the other elation. The shape of a crown was worked into the top as well, with horn like shapes protruding upwards. The armor covered him from head to toe in a interlocking set of plates, all finely detailed in gold and purple. A large black cloak was drapped across his shoulders, fur lined from the first beast he had slain when he had entered this world. Despite its apparant weigth he felt ununcumbered by it. Then one stepped forward with his true prize. A longsword of exquisite craftsmanship. Above the pommel and crospiece an elaborate decoration, a likeness of the demon wrapped around the blade.

Dreghar looked to the she demon, she was smiling. He dropped the halberd, still covered in the demons blood and grasped the longsword by the blade. He raised it into the air as blood began to trickle down the blade feeding the demonic power coursing through it. The resulting exultation from the crowd was deafening. Dreghar turned and moved into his current fortress. The ogre, being to large to enter, stood guard at the gate. He was alone with the demon now. He stared at the statue he had made for her.

"Don't believe that I am unaware of your motives here demon." He turned to her, for a second her face betrayed her, did his words hurt her so.

"We have been together for so long now, and yet you still do not trust me?" She moved to his side.

How could he, her kind where nothing but trouble. The power she gave him was great, but he had never doubted that if he had shown any weakness she would exploit it to her own gains. She frowned, knowing what was going through his mind.

"Perhaps at first I sought nothing but to control you, but now, now I have other plans." She moved towards him. "Val'ku'taa, that is my true name."

The words burned his ears. It couldn't be, this must be some kind of trick. He laughed, it had to be some sort of ploy. He repeated it "Val'ku'taa."

The words hit the demon with a noticeble force, her form began to waiver, sending all forms of sensation throughout her body.

"Do you believe me now, we need each other. We can no longer exsist without one another." She smiled.

"So where do we start?"

So I spent a good portion of the day building up units. I am tracking 99% of my efforts in my battle log. There are the odd times when I do a quick set of exercises that I dont post. But generally I post the big stuff there.

I look forward to hearing the responses to my messengers proposal. In case you missed it, here it is. http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54625-sept15-oct-26-there-is-only-war-a-warhammer-fantasy-pvp-experiment/?p=1243670

• Like 2

Alala spat at the messenger's feet.

"Tell your master, this is what Amazons think of his offer and of his idea of 'freedom.'"

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir