Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

Alala spat at the messenger's feet.

"Tell your master, this is what Amazons think of his offer and of his idea of 'freedom.'"

The messenger lowers his arms.

"Brave words from a woman who hides a world away. Remember this moment, for your fellows will blame you for the destruction to come. They will wish for death before the end."

He smiles and bows mockingly before turning away.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

In response to the Jaguar Mother's instructions, Alala left her instructions for training and preparations of the Amazon troops in the capable hands of her subcommanders.

Dutifully, she set off to the northern province, where she had first trained as a warrior and a priestess, wondering at the cryptic words of the high priestess, "As the red and the blue serpents go, so will the gold. And the Blade of Kalith will unite them all."

Astride her favorite mount, Alala made good time out of the heat of the capitol, soon reaching the Valley of the Green River. She crossed over and made her way yet higher, to the Red Cliffs and then onto the high plateau, where she could see the towering Peaks of her youth. Here, the weather was turning cold and the leaves were changing. Alala remembered how, when she had first been transferred to the capitol, that there had been those who disbelieved her when she described trees whose leaves became the colors of flame and died in the winter only to revive in the spring. They had never seen such things where they lived. She breathed deep of the autumn air and of the scent of pines. Whatever else may lay ahead, it was good to be home.

When she reached the destination she had been given, Alala made camp and waited.

Later that night, not long after sunset, a strange, blue glow appeared in the darkening sky. It was a Coatl, the great, feathered serpent told of in ancient tales and songs, and held as a sacred symbol of the land by the Amazons. The tiny hairs on the back of Alala's neck tingled at the sight of the creature.

The coatl hovered in the air a short distance away as Alala made a gesture of greeting. In sibilant tones, it spoke, "Guardian, I have come to help you in your quest to protect this land. I will return with you to the temples of the Daughters of the Moon, if you will agree to my request."

"What might the request be?" Alala asked, knowing the warnings in folklore, yet also knowing that she had been commanded by the Jaguar Mother to agree to whatever request her newest warrior might make.

"When you drink of the sacred herbs, you must allow yourself to be restrained. For Amazonia."

Alala had never been one of the priestesses chosen to partake in prophetic ritual, but with all of the new and strange experiences of late, she could not rule out the possibility that the coatl's request might have to be carried out, however much she disliked it. Nevertheless, her orders were clear.

"If you join my army and follow my commands, I will fulfill your request. For Amazonia." Alala replied.

After two days spent outdoors in her beloved forests, listening and learning of coatl life (the coatl turned out to be surprisingly social for such a normally solitary creature and was a fount of ancient lore, with many tales of battles and heroes), Alala, her mount, and the blue coatl turned southwards to reach the second destination on Alala's pilgrimage.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

What the elves saw:

Into your camp walks a strangely clothed man. His tattered purple garb thrashes about as he moves. He is unarmed, and stops before the guards can move to apprehend him, he raises his arms above his head. His eyes begin to glow a rich purple. His voice is unnaturally loud, and reaches even the farthest corners of your camp.

What the elves heard:

"Foolish general..."

{thwak}

"Hey Lothriel, drag that body away. We don't want his stink to taint our camp."

{...peaceful forest sounds resume.}

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

What the elves saw:

What the elves heard:

"Foolish general..."

{thwak}

"Hey Lothriel, drag that body away. We don't want his stink to taint our camp."

{...peaceful forest sounds resume.}

First of I lol'd really hard at this. Truly I did. Now let me compose myself for a second here... Ok.

As the elf moves to drag the body away, an unnatural voice emanates from it. 

"Foolish elf, do not think that your island and its forest will shelter you for long. You will cry out for mercy as your homes burn around you."

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

The messenger lowers his arms.

"Brave words from a woman who hides a world away. Remember this moment, for your fellows will blame you for the destruction to come. They will wish for death before the end."

He smiles and bows mockingly before turning away.

"Your deathless master finds it very easy to recommend the virtues of death to his followers, and to those who would resist him, both."

Alala paused to let her next words sink in, knowing full well that the messenger was a magical creature bound to Dreghar's will. The irony of her next words would not escape either of them.

"The deathless may be bound, Dreghar." It was Alala's turn to smile.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Nope. Just wondering if it's important to "even up" squads or to just recruit the most awesome warriors I can find.

Oh you said minimum squad size. Then yes I think thats the plan. That and the precentages of core special and rare.

I dont know how I missed that...

HOLY EVER LOVING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know little about Warhammer, but will cram all the infos I can google............Please tell me its cool to join still.  I believe the new revolution started today for Friday's battle troop turn in and Sunday's war?!?!

I will research while I wait for an answer so I am ready to go if it's all good....

**does fat guy happy dance for insane awesomeness of this**

I luv our Nerds

• Like 3

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I know little about Warhammer, but will cram all the infos I can google............Please tell me its cool to join still.  I believe the new revolution started today for Friday's battle troop turn in and Sunday's war?!?!

I will research while I wait for an answer so I am ready to go if it's all good....

I luv our Nerds

I dont think there would be any issue with you joining up, you could possibly even participate in this weekends battle. It may be easier to join with someone so you cant get taken out earlier since your a bit behind, but I don't think anyone here is in to push around new players. We are all here to have fun, even those of us who are aiming at world domination.

I point you to this post i made earlier. http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54625-sept15-oct-26-there-is-only-war-a-warhammer-fantasy-pvp-experiment/?p=1243670

But in the end its up to Dark_Raider, but I think the goal is for this thing to grow. So yea.

we are going with minimum squad sizes this time around, right?

Nope. Just wondering if it's important to "even up" squads or to just recruit the most awesome warriors I can find.

Minimum squad sizes apply this round, yes. From what I've seen, massive squads mean more units so they last longer, but keep in mind the new rule about the 2hp/unit of Special squads and 3hp/unit of Rare. Investing in more powerful units can also mean more survivability per unit. Still, you have to keep the Core/Special/Rare percentage rates in any case.

Speaking of those percentages, they apply to every army move you make. This means you can't send a few Special squads or a single Rare monster to take over a piece of land, unless they are accompanied by the appropriate number of Core units. Also, local resistance is estimated to be roughly 1.000 APV strong, so make sure you don't send your units in to get slaughtered for nothing.

I luv our Nerds

Always happy to have more excited nerds onboard. Feel free to jump in for this Weekend's War. Pick a nation from the spreadsheet and contact me for the rest. Like cn3wton said, it might help you to join up with another player so you don't get overwhelmed, but if you're feeling brave, be our guest.

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

The party of three made its way down from the high plateau region and into the Valley of the Green River. Tiredness, the warmth, the steady paw pats of her jaguar mount lulled Alala into a reverie. In it, she heard a subtle nuance to the Jaguar Mother's tone that she had missed before. She snapped to attention at the realization and looked down at the serpent tattoos that wound around her forearms.

How could she have failed to see the connection? One blue serpent around her right forearm, one red upon her left. She had endured more than a few strange looks from other priestesses for her unusual patterning, considered to be less than perfect, just like her northern accent and her highlander's ways.

Before she could follow the thought further, the hair began to rise on the back of her neck and she heard a loud hiss from the coatl flying along behind her.

In the air ahead, swaying to and fro in a hypnotic rhythm, was another coatl. As red as the cliffs behind them, this coatl hovered over the Green River clearly marking it as the border of its territory.

Alala raised her arms in front of her and displayed her tattoos, while she cried out, "For Amazonia and our Queen! I am Alala, Rigg's own Guardian of our land. Join me against the darkness that would destroy it and its people!"

As the swaying and hissing of the two coatls subsided, Alala spoke to both of the flying, feathered serpents. "I do not ask you to like one another, only to follow my orders faithfully. For Amazonia."

The red coatl, eyed the blue one suspiciously, and asked, "Why did you pass through my territory, yet seek out this other one first?"

"I, too, have my orders and instructions. I am on a pilgrimage at the request of the Jaguar Mother."

At this, the red coatl seemed appeased. It came closer and spoke more softly."You will honor my request, then, if I agree to join you and follow you orders?"

"Yes."

"Then this is my request. When next you find yourself confronted by a coatl, you do not put your arms up as you just did."

At this both coatls began to laugh, at least Alala supposed it was laughter, based on what she had been hearing from the blue coatl the last two days.

She tried to picture what her arms would have looked like from the viewpoint of the red coatl. Then she understood and began to laugh as well.

The ice now broken, the coatls fell in together on the trek south, and the more garrulous and well-traveled blue began sharing all sorts of stories. As Alala listened it became clear that these two were not strangers and that much of "confrontation" at the river had been staged to see how she would react. She doubted that the red coatl's request was the only thing it wanted, but there was much more to this trip than it appeared at first glance. She would wait and see how things went once they arrived back in the capitol. She had no doubt that the Jaguar Mother had yet more in store for her there.

She glanced again at the tattoos upon her forearms and then back at the coatls. Her life was getting stranger by the day.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Taking a page out of D_R's playbook and writing things up related to daily life...the trip from the heat of the capitol (Phoenix, Arizona) to beyond Flagstaff (home and place of my youth and training) took me across the Verde River ("Verde" = "green" in Spanish) and I spent much time in the company of a garrulous oldster this weekend. :) Coming down with a cold, though. Blech. Just sitting around on the sofa tonight writing.

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Minimum squad sizes apply this round, yes. From what I've seen, massive squads mean more units so they last longer, but keep in mind the new rule about the 2hp/unit of Special squads and 3hp/unit of Rare. Investing in more powerful units can also mean more survivability per unit. Still, you have to keep the Core/Special/Rare percentage rates in any case.

Speaking of those percentages, they apply to every army move you make. This means you can't send a few Special squads or a single Rare monster to take over a piece of land, unless they are accompanied by the appropriate number of Core units. Also, local resistance is estimated to be at least 1.000 APV strong, so make sure you don't send your units in to get slaughtered for nothing.

Always happy to have more excited nerds onboard. Feel free to jump in for this Weekend's War. Pick a nation from the spreadsheet and contact me for the rest. Like cn3wton said, it might help you to join up with another player so you don't get overwhelmed, but if you're feeling brave, be our guest.

If you are looking to pair up with experience, there is room in Albion for you. Our island is bursting at the seems with troops for this Fridays battle. Adding your forces to ours would create a tidal wave of woad (I think i may need to trademark that)

• Like 2

Taking a page out of D_R's playbook and writing things up related to daily life...the trip from the heat of the capitol (Phoenix, Arizona) to beyond Flagstaff (home and place of my youth and training) took me across the Verde River ("Verde" = "green" in Spanish) and I spent much time in the company of a garrulous oldster this weekend. :) Coming down with a cold, though. Blech. Just sitting around on the sofa tonight writing.

I love your real life to in game story, I love it when Raider and cn3wton do it to

• Like 2

I love your real life to in game story, I love it when Raider and cn3wton do it to

It's fun to do and it got my mind off how rotten I feel, plus now I know someone else is enjoying it, too, so definitely a win!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey Raider I can't change the spreadsheet but my generals name is Tragen

I've locked it, but the name has been added, along with the armies of Estalia (Conquistador-era Spain). I posted it also on your thread, but you might want to check the Youngbloods' abilities again... ;)

Lvl 65 Multitasker

The purple robed figure stood in the centre of a circle of old men. Truthsayers and wisemen, the advisory council to King Tragen.

The King himself sat on a throne made from the upturned skull of a Giant, a spear the length of two men lay across his lap, it's cruel barbs glistening in the firelight.

Although reputed as a barbarous race the Gaels upheld Guest Law on penalty of death.

Once the stranger had finished what he had to say he was taken away to enjoy roast boar and heady mead, the refreshments Gaels offered to any ambassador.

The King and his advisory council sat for some time discussing the strangers offer, it's benefits and downfalls.

But the answer was clear, it was written into tribe law.

The messenger was brought back before the King, who delivered a simple reply.

"any who wish to ally with Albion must show it the respect it deserves and come to Albion themselves to negotiate instead of sending servants"

• Like 2

The purple robed figure stood in the centre of a circle of old men. Truthsayers and wisemen, the advisory council to King Tragen.

The King himself sat on a throne made from the upturned skull of a Giant, a spear the length of two men lay across his lap, it's cruel barbs glistening in the firelight.

Although reputed as a barbarous race the Gaels upheld Guest Law on penalty of death.

Once the stranger had finished what he had to say he was taken away to enjoy roast boar and heady mead, the refreshments Gaels offered to any ambassador.

The King and his advisory council sat for some time discussing the strangers offer, it's benefits and downfalls.

But the answer was clear, it was written into tribe law.

The messenger was brought back before the King, who delivered a simple reply.

"any who wish to ally with Albion must show it the respect it deserves and come to Albion themselves to negotiate instead of sending servants"

The figure smiled. 

"As you wish."

As if on queue, a horn sounded announcing the arrival of someone at the gate. A figure was escorted into the hall. He stood covered in armor from head to toe with a black cloak across his back, in the crook of his arm he carried a intricate helm that seemed to glow in the light. His left arm was was black and ended in in a clawed hand.

"It is quite rare that I am received in such a fashion" the figure who could only be Dreghar smiled.

"Usually men cower and fear to speak with me in person. I do not know if you are brave, or foolish. But I will leave you my terms. You fight for me, and I will not step foot upon this land again. Deny me and I will destroy you and all you love. Unlike those who call themselves good and righteous I offer you no illusions, I do not hide behind false words." 

Dreghar awaits your reply.

If you are looking to pair up with experience, there is room in Albion for you. Our island is bursting at the seems with troops for this Fridays battle. Adding your forces to ours would create a tidal wave of woad (I think i may need to trademark that)

Daniel does know quite a bit about warhammer that is true... But you want to join me becuase I could always use a follower who also seeks to destroy the world! 

Into your camp walks a strangely clothed man. His tattered purple garb thrashes about as he moves. He is unarmed, and stops before the guards can move to apprehend him, he raises his arms above his head. His eyes begin to glow a rich purple. His voice is unnaturally loud, and reaches even the farthest corners of your camp.

"Foolish general, hear my words. Dreghar will slay all who stand against him. You have but two options. Serve with him, or die. Fear him, for what can you possibly do to a man who cannot die? Death itself will be nothing but eternal bliss for those who serve Slaanesh! Every man and woman shall recieve pleasure beyond imagination, and the spoils of war are for all, not just those who lord above you. Choose to fight for your own glory and no one elses!"

The man begins to lower his arms, a large smile spread across his face. Those nearest him seem wary and uncertain. 

Do you heed the call?

The camp was a small one, with only a handful of men,all of them druids of varying rank. Dryden was leading a class of neophytes in a trial,but at the point of the evening when twlight came the camp was at rest. Dryden looked about at his company,who were uncertain of how to react to such unholy magic,but were strong in heart and conviction. He stood and turned from his fire,surrounded by his most trusted students, sighed and approached the messenger. 'Your offer sounds promising,who wouldnt enjoy eternal pleasure?' But your general seeks to conquer,not to give.. I will not allow chaos to ravage this land in the name of false prophets' He declared.

• Like 1

Human Level 1 Monk
STR 1|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA

If the Old World had internet, Derghar would probably be the patron saint of spam mail xD

Which reminds me this wonderful line, from Terry Pratchet's "Small Gods"

”The Chain Letter to the Ephebians. Forget Your Gods. Be Subjugated. Learn to Fear. Do not break the chain -- the last people who did woke up one morning to find fifty thousand armed men on their lawn."

Friday is almost upon us. I hope everyone's speeches are coming along well...

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

If the Old World had internet, Derghar would probably be the patron saint of spam mail xD

dude dreghar is one evil bastard.

i wanted to start getting replies asap so i could formulate a battle plan. right now it basically looks like "kill everything"