Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

Investing on mystery, surprise and a more fluid battle narrative this time. Just PM me who moves where and a general battleplan for each location. Example

"20 Archers, 60 Spearmen and 10 Knights move to X territory. In the upcoming battle against any other player moving there, otherwise against the local defending forces, my Spearmen will march to engage the enemy, Archers will get in range to shoot arrows, while the Knights will guard the flanks and look for opportunities to strike from there"

Also, bears. Carrying drunken Russians. Against half-naked south american women riding jaguars. Against pirates. Against screaming tattooed celts throwing severed heads. Against mohawked dwarf bezerkers. Against mutant vikings. And the list goes on...

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Oooh, stealth. This should be interesting...

Wow, my cartoon mind went right to work on that list of characters - ha! Talk about visions!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Getting over being sick, so not having to work, but still getting a workout in and with extra time to be on the boards while taking cough medicine - win!

Time to finish up the battle speech before the vision fades...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

As Alala sat in silent meditation, her mind returned to the journey to the city and the odd behavior of the coatls. They seemed to delight in giving unsolicited advice, and in direct opposition to one another. At first it had irritated her, but when she questioned that response more deeply, she realized that they were merely echoing some of her own internal dialogue, the very attitudes that the Jaguar Mother had questioned in her when they met in the temple.

Alala dug deeper. Years of being a warrior had inured her to the fear of death. What she feared far more was failure. And the fear of it followed her around like the chatty coatls, first this, then that worry or concern. What was really at the root of that, she wondered?

She did not have time to ponder further. At the sound of footsteps entering the chamber, Alala arose and faced the same women who had met her outside the Queen's palace.

"It is time," the Mother's assistant said.

This time, though, the priestesses and the Jaguar Mother's assistant were dressed in full ceremonial regalia. The priestesses carried cups of a pungent liqueur, and one of them proffered her a cup and bade her drink. She drank the bitter mixture and turned to follow the women.

Instead of going down the hallway to another chamber as she expected, they headed straight out onto the portico and down the steps towards the imposing stone monument directly ahead.

At its top, Alala could see the Jaguar Mother and the two coatls, waiting, while at the foot of the pyramidal structure, crowds had gathered while she had been meditating.

In procession with the three other women, Alala made her way to the base of the monument and started to climb the steps, feeling light-headed and a bit woozy.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

The elven army had gathered within a large clearing, their numbers bolstered by fresh troops from Ulthuan. The air was crisp and a sharp breeze pushed the smoke from the campfires this way and that. Change was coming, but in what form?

Malarielle emerged from the woods and climbed atop a small platform next to the main fire. Her gaze swept across the crowd slowly from left to right. As she looked each warrior steadily in the eye, she seemed please by what she saw and in turn passed to each of them a piece of her strength, her power.

“Warriors of the Phoenix! Children of the Everqueen!

The sky is dark and night has fallen.

Yet we fear not the moon nor the stars.

We fear not the enemy that creeps by night.

For our bows are stout and our aim is true.

A cancer now grows

No natural darkness, but one that would devour the moon and stars.

I will lead you against this darkness.

For my sword is sharp and my arm is strong.

Our journey is long and full of dangers

But our ships are fast and our chariots fierce

We will stamp out our enemies, we will stand by our allies.

We will prevail!

We are the people of Aenarion, the wielder of the sword of Khaine!

We are the ASUR, chosen of the gods, and WE WILL NEVER FALL!

The Darkness grows, let us bring light!

Before the crowd could respond, she drew her blade and slashed it across her arm. Her blood flowed into the steel and it glowed white hot. As she held it overhead light poured out over the field and high into the sky.

The crowd began to chant

“We are ASUR, bringers of the light…â€

----------------------------

Ok...that's the best I can do for now...I have to practice my real-life speech for tomorrow. I will try giving this one in the mirror tomorrow morning to kind of psyche myself up.

Regarding battle, my elven alter-ego and I haven't decided exactly what to do, but (based on my "extensive" Wikipedia research) I think we have little choice...we are the descendents of Aenarion!

----

ok...I tried giving this one. It was kind of strange, but that cat (...er fierce war lion) didn't seem to mind. A couple of the lines are kind of fun to say :-)

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

It seemed to take forever to reach the top of the pyramid and some niggling little thought kept tapping at the back of Alala's brain. She had seen something like this many years ago, as a young girl, a spectator at just such an event, but her mind was slow and hazy and somehow she couldn't quite place the memory.

Her feet kept on moving. Towards the top, the two priestesses grabbed her upper arms and kept her upright.

She saw the coatls and the Jaguar Mother and tried to smile, and greet them, but her mouth wouldn't cooperate. She allowed herself to be led to the large stone slab and laid out. She didn't even resist when they tied her hands, just watched the blue coatl swaying back and forth, back and forth. It didn't even register that the Jaguar Mother was talking about her, Alala, while she nattered on about courage and sacrifice, and being willing to lay down one's life for Amazonia. Not until the Jaguar Mother stood over her, dagger glinting in the sun, did she understand what was going on, and by then it was too late. One of the priestesses had her hand over Alala's mouth, while the other had hands around her neck. The last thing Alala saw was the Jaguar Mother's hands driving down towards her chest, clasping the shining blade.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

This. This is what happens when ShadowLion is not kept busy and has too much time on her hands. If she can't beat cn3wton on the battlefield, she will outspam him on the thread....bwahahaha.

Actually, this really is leading to the speech. Just think of it as a shaggy jaguar story. There is a punch line at the end of it all. Promise. :)

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

@Xena Sounds pretty damn good to me! You'll rock it tomorrow!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Redskar marched from the hazy distance and came across a tribe that was too late for the battle. An orc looked at him and asked him, " 'Ey, Boss, Did we win?" Redskar stopped, straightened himself, slowly turned to the questioning orc, and drove his fist in the orc's face, following it with a "No." He stood on the now-flat faced orc's body and roared to get everyone's attention.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" 

As the greenskin surrounded him, he stared down each of them, making them feel fearful and angry at the same time. " 'Oi! Now youze listen, and youze listen good! We're da best! No matter who we fight, we da best! You see 'Umans green? Elveses? You see any green Stunties?"

One orc interrupted, "Dat one time ol' Gorfang t'rew up 'n' 'alf of a stuntie came out." the rabble laughed.

Redskar pulled out his battleaxe, and raised it, the fresh blood splatter simmered. "Dis choppa chopped da 'eads ov 'very git who tried to beat me. 'Umans, Stunties, Elveses, Daemons, Lizardses, 'n' Orcs! Every git who stood in my way git 'is 'ead lopped! Every! 'very w'ere I go, da fight always goes wit' me! If you wanna fight 'umans, come wit' me. If you wanna fight elveses, come wit' me. If you wanna fight stunties, come wit' me. Da greenskins are da best fighters dere is, and we'z gonna prove it! We fight EVERYBODY! No one can beat us! Da w'ole world will see GREEN! Ol' Wurrzag 'az seen da future, and da future iz green, No one knows w'o iz da One True Git, but come wit' me, and we'll fight, 'n' chop, 'n' bash, 'n' crush, 'n' kill, until dat Git comes 'n' brings us da biggest, baddest, bestest fight dere is!" 

The once shambling rabble turned into a lethal mob, weapons in hand, they start to chant and cheer, "We'll fight, 'n' chop, 'n' bash, 'n' crush, 'n' kill! We'll fight, 'n' chop, 'n' bash, 'n' crush, 'n' kill!"

Redskar continues "Da bestest gitz are da ones w'o bash da bestest in da bestest fight! 'N' we ain't gonna fight in da bestest fight, just sittin' 'ere playing Rock, Choppa, 'n' Knife! Are we not da bestest gitz dat bashes da bestest?!"

The orc cried in unison, "We da best!"

"Are we not da bestest gitz ta crush da elveses 'n' da dark elveses w'en dey fight?!"

" 'N' are we not da bestest gitz ta bring da fightin' ta dem?!"

"Den come wit' me youze gitz! Come wit' me and we'll fight da bloodiest fights, beat da bestest deyz got, and bash 'n' bash 'n' bash some more until deyz no more dan blood 'n' gutz under ourses bootz! COME WIT' ME! FIGHT WIT' ME!!!" 

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

• Like 3

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

That does give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Going green." One must ask if it is sustainable, however. *Said in the voice of Mr. Spock, with one eyebrow raised*

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'd pay an an arm and a leg, plus one of my kidneys, to watch a video of Red roleplaying that speech. And to know the thoughts that went through Xena's cat as she delivered her speech :D

Less than 24 hours left, people! Still waiting for your PMs with forces, where they'll move and a general battle plan, info is in my previous post. Also reminding percentages: At least 50% APV must come from Core units, up to 50% may come from special units and up to 25% may come from Rare units

• Like 2

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Alala walked through swirling mists. The sounds of distant battles came from all directions, yet no matter which way she turned or how far she walked, the sounds never grew closer.

Everything seemed misty, even her memories of her life, and she wondered if she was alive or dead. Even though she perceived herself as walking, she had no real sense of being in her body. She paused and focused, imagining a bright sun overhead, and the mist cleared. Directly ahead she saw the fallen Shield Maidens from her recent battle with Norsca. She saluted them for their valor with a fist over her heart, or where she supposed her heart might be, and the maidens raised their hands and pointed onward.

Alala continued on until she came to an elven warrior, clad in bright blue and accompanied by a huge white lion. The woman stood like a statue, as if she could not see Alala, and stared out across a gray ocean, towards a wasteland where a sun barely cleared the horizon before sinking back into oblivion. She walked further and saw beings she had only heard of in stories - dwarves, orcs, goblins, vampires. She saw the many tribes of humanity and they, too, looked towards the northern wastes.

She was flying now, as if carried by one of the coatls, and far below her she saw a vast army massing These were beings she had never heard of in stories, but they were the ones she had seen in dreams these past few years. She observed and counted, reckoned their numbers and position. They were many, and some were fearsome, but she had also seen the massing of troops on an island nation, and a dark-bearded king deep in thought.

Something was calling Alala, pulling her backwards toward she not what. Her eyelids flickered open to a swirling mass of brightly colored feathers - blue, red, and gold. She was surrounded by a chaos of serpentine movement. The only way she was sure was still alive was that she could feel the firm touch of priestess's fingers on her neck, and the pulsing of her own blood beneath them.

"Stay still and make no sound," the Jaguar Mother whispered.

Alala could feel the priestesses removing her restraints. One raised up Alala's head and gave her the contents of the second cup. Everywhere she looked there was blood, whether hers or someone else's she had no idea. Strength returned to her body and the priestesses helped her stand as the red and blue coatls took their places to either side of her, just as on her forearm tattoos.

Behind her, she could hear the rustle of the golden coatl's feathers as it moved through the air and cast a giant shadow over the crowd.

"Hear me, o' Women Warriors of Amazonia!" the Jaguar Mother cried. "Rigg has chosen and tested her Guardian of the Land and has raised her up through the power of the Serpent! From this day forward, the one you have known as Alala will be known as Kalith, after her great, great-grandmother, one of our finest warriors."

"And to her, I give the Blade of Kalith," Queen Thalestris announced as she stepped forward from where she had been hidden by the giant, golden coatl. "Kalith shall be my war chieftain as we go into council. Gather your weapons and prepare your mounts! Return here tomorrow at noon, for Amazonia goes to war!"

The high ululations of the Amazon war cry broke out in the gathered crowd as Queen Thalestris, the Jaguar Mother, Kalith, and the assistant and priestesses formed a procession down the stone steps preceded by the coatls.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'd pay an an arm and a leg, plus one of my kidneys, to watch a video of Red roleplaying that speech. And to know the thoughts that went through Xena's cat as she delivered her speech :D

Less than 24 hours left, people! Still waiting for your PMs with forces, where they'll move and a general battle plan, info is in my previous post. Also reminding percentages: At least 50% APV must come from Core units, up to 50% may come from special units and up to 25% may come from Rare units

25% or more Core, correct?

Hmmmm. Video. Got some feathers around here somewhere...

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Oh crap. I must have missed the change.

I figured everything off the listing on the first page under deployment, which says 25% or more Core.

Sad ShadowLion. Math is no fun when you're on cold meds... :(

Okay. I'll stop whining now. I've got one workout left to fix it.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

at least 50% from core, not 25%?

why the change?

• Like 1

Do we also need to keep the same distribution throughout our various territories and alliances, or does it only apply to one's army as a whole?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Oh crap. I must have missed the change.

I figured everything off the listing on the first page under deployment, which says 25% or more Core.

Sad ShadowLion. Math is no fun when you're on cold meds... :(

Okay. I'll stop whining now. I've got one workout left to fix it.

Crap...me too. Lots of lifting tonight apparently.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

at least 50% from core, not 25%?

why the change?

Gah, I got confused answering ALL THE QUESTIONS! My bad, At least 25% Core. Page 1 is the law.

Do we also need to keep the same distribution throughout our various territories and alliances, or does it only apply to one's army as a whole?

Army as a whole has no percentages involved, you recruit whatever you want. The percentages apply to deployment, so every group you send to a territory must be within those numbers

• Like 3

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Cool. Good news...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Here is my battle stage, I wanted to write something that had resonance with where I am at the moment with my own fitness thoughts so it may read as a little disjointed but that is the price I pay for putting meaning in to the words

We are not the strongest nation, nor the most conditioned or united.

We have not been blessed with the natural gifts and resources that others take for granted.

Nor have we grown in a world or an environment that nurtures our hearts or supports or dreams.

We have suffered defeat after defeat after defeat, we have endured defeat beyond the capacity of many to endure.

And for many generations now this has been our lot and we have accepted it.

We have existed and moved through one day to the next without change or without hope.

Generations have been wasted, idly spinning like the wheels on an upturned chariot, because they knew no better.

There was no maverick to turn that chariot, our civilisation, over. No one to move us to the ground so that like the chariot we could gain traction, speed, strength and victory.

But the time for defeat is over.

Today we close the book on those generations and we pen a new book

A new saga of our nation, the power of it’s people and the victories it achieves.

And we are going to do this through effort, after all effort is perhaps the only thing that is left for us to create and control.

We cannot harness strength we do not have nor can we launch our war from an infrastructure that does not exist

But effort, no man, monster or deity can control our effort.

Through effort we will achieve strength and infrastructure we will unite all parts of our isle and set a new standard for ourselves

And we shall surge from this beautiful isle as the golden sun surges across the morning sky and we shall shine our light, our strength,  our effort in to the darkest corners of the world

We shall silence the naysayers, prove wrong those who doubt us and bring victory where there was only defeat

And we shall build a better world, for ourselves and for those who only need to ask for our help

We shall not sit idly by and let this world slip further in to tyranny and chaos, through our effort we shall raise it up in to a brighter tomorrow.

Let us begin.

• Like 4

(Background music and image. All hail Hashut the bull god!)

“My Lord, the troops are gathered and waiting for you”. The servant woke him from his coma. Zarthan finished adjusting the Chaos armor on his frame and stepped out of the tent. The sight flooded his vision. Sturdy warriors from his clan stood next to mercenary greenskins. Wolves growled under the weight of their riders. Twisted war machines towered over the assembled crowd, surrounded by Black Orks and Bull Centaurs. Now this was a decent army, he thought to himself.

“My warriors” he spoke. “We have gathered here from different paths and for different reasons. The promise of gold has brought here raiders from the Steppes. The lure of blood and combat has drawn mighty fighters to our cause. Our duty to clan and deity, the mighty bull god Hashut, has my kin united in the ranks. It does not matter who we are. It does not matter where we’re from. Nor does it matter why we came here. The only thing that matters is where we go now. We march to bring progress to the savage lands around us. Bones will be shattered by the grindstones of industry. Blood will turn the wheels of destiny. We will look our enemies in the eye and rip their souls out to feed the fires of Hashut’s forges. We will stomp their pride and smash their skulls. Destiny awaits. The spoils of war are yours for the taking. Go out there and show them what you’re worth!”

• Like 5

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Hmm..  This thread is becoming quite a lot to keep up with.  Even though I haven't really had anything to say, it feels like I'm devoting the bulk of my limited time on the boards to keeping up with it.  Maybe it would be best for me to retire gracefully rather than crush another of you pitifully weak with my massive legions of the undead...  (although I have done some exercises to recruit and have a solid load of troops left over from last time).  

I'm pretty sure I'm not knit together well enough for speech writing at the moment, anyway.

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9