Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

Hmm..  This thread is becoming quite a lot to keep up with.  Even though I haven't really had anything to say, it feels like I'm devoting the bulk of my limited time on the boards to keeping up with it.  Maybe it would be best for me to retire gracefully rather than crush another of you pitifully weak with my massive legions of the undead...  (although I have done some exercises to recruit and have a solid load of troops left over from last time).  

I'm pretty sure I'm not knit together well enough for speech writing at the moment, anyway.

Don't worry ... some of us are in the same boat time-wise.  I think the workouts, recruiting, and deciding where to send them is most important.  Speechifying and RPing is nice, but less essential.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Interesting, it would appear that "Malarielle of the High Elves" is more afraid of the Legions of Chaos than my mass of undead, so perhaps I will march at the side of a temporary ally.  Considering that I dislike the taste of the blood of those touched by the Chaos Gods, perhaps it would be best for me to march forward.  Maybe there's no need to rush away to my doffing so soon.  Perhaps I can deploy my troops and be a man of few words this week?

I had a question I never asked about all this "splitting up forces" thing anyway.  I only have the one spellcaster general, and my troops don't really live without being propped up by the powers of a Necromancer.  How would that actually work?  Do we just assume that there is a necromancer around my settled territories with enough power to mount the defense and let my general lead out the fighters or what?

Also, is it too late to change my specialization (again).  I wouldn't mind being a Black Knight, especially since I don't have so many beasts this week.  I think the spec was flexible from week to week, but it's buried somewhere in the 23 pages.  

• Like 2

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

I might feel more like sticking around when my head clears up (posted about that in my thread).  Of course, it has been somewhat discouraging to login every day and check to see updates and just find the people I follow so vastly swarmed by updates to this post that I head here first and forget to support my peeps by the time I am done reading through all the long (but enjoyable) posts here.  

Actually, I could probably sensibly fix that by just turning off notifications for this post and just check it when mood and time allows.  Since there's always new stuff here after all.

• Like 2

Clean now, and dressed in finery from the preparation chamber, Khalith sat silently in the presence of the Jaguar Mother.

"Before we go into war council with the Queen, I assume you have some questions..." said the Jaguar Mother as she lounged upon a cushioned bench.

"What happened out there?"

"Alala, her doubts and her fears died, and in her place Kalith was born," the High Priestess of the Amazon Sisterhood replied.

"That is all you are going to tell me, isn't it?" Khalith said.

"That, and that you need to appreciate the role of the theatrical in the motivation of people. Drama works." The Jaguar Mother continued, "You are a woman of few words. That is fine, as long as you make your actions speak."

Khalith simply nodded as they rose to go into the Queen's council.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Double.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Oh, I have more beasts than I thought if I am a beast master, after all.  Almost 80 at least.  Not sure how the bonus works now if we aren't so worried about what's on flanks or what not.

I like having a good reason to exercise more since it isn't in my current challenges, and I'ld probably still read as much as I could of this thread anyway.

Yeah, I take back wanting to quit, I'm looking forward to fighting somebody.  Although I'ld much rather just take my whole army around trampling whatever gets in my way than worry about holding land. I'm not growing any crops.

Sorry if I sound a bit wishy-washy.  My doctor change my crazy-meds abruptly, and my week has been hell.  I should know better than to make any decision when my head feels so off.  This game has been quite motivating and the thread has been fun, and I find the idea of beating the hell out of someone this weekend (virtually) to be a pleasant diversion after giving it some more thought.

BTW, are troop lists private now, or do I just post them here?

• Like 2

Oh, I have more beasts than I thought if I am a beast master, after all. Almost 80 at least. Not sure how the bonus works now if we aren't so worried about what's on flanks or what not.

I like having a good reason to exercise more since it isn't in my current challenges, and I'ld probably still read as much as I could of this thread anyway.

Yeah, I take back wanting to quit, I'm looking forward to fighting somebody. Although I'ld much rather just take my whole army around trampling whatever gets in my way than worry about holding land. I'm not growing any crops.

The bonuses for flanking still apply. So i believe they still have value.

As far as land goes I think eventually a bonus or something will be applied for owning land. But that's in a future "patch" so to speak.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Troop lists are private at this point.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Herja strode across the strand, chopped into chaos by the battle and the recent - and fruitless - efforts to find the missing treasure.  Her steps were sure and firm despite the uneven and soft ground, her shoulders set, her blue eyes glared indiscriminately at the mumbling, murmuring crew, cowing many into looking at their feet or hands.  She reached a stack of empty supply crates and climbed up, gesturing to her bosun to sound the call to order.

"Look at you," she began, glaring at the motley gathering.  "Are you so ready to give up at the first sign of trouble?  I thought I sailed with free pirates from the Island of Sartosa, not a bunch of sniveling scalawags!" her eyes rested on the band of harpooners who had sheepishly returned after the battle with Albion had been won.  

"So what, if we have not found Sicilieri's treasure on this coast!  We have won a great battle and claimed land for ourselves.  Land full of food, supplies, and fresh water.  Land that we can present to the Council as a boon when we return home - or divide among us for those who tire of the wind and the waves and the salt on our faces. We have accomplished much on this voyage already ….. and we have barely begun!"

"What about the chaos and the undead?" a voice shouted up from the crowd.

"What about them?" responded Herja, a grin lighting up her freckled face.  "We are pirates!  We sail out of the ports of Sartosa itself!!  We acknowledge no ruler and will never bow again before any master!"  A cheer rose up among some of the assembled crew.

"Who among us has not tasted the sweet caress of the master's cat??  Who has not known the hospitality of his dungeon or the burden of his service??  We know the sound of the lies from those who would have us join them and pledge our obedience.  They offer nothing in return except our lives.  But I tell you that our lives are not theirs to offer in trade.  They bargain with empty hands and empty coffers!!!!  Will Pirates make such a poor trade??  NEVER!!"

"NEVER!!!"  Shouted many of the pirates in answer.

"And do not fear, my friends.  For though they have monsters amongst them, so do we.  We are feared from one end of this world to the other, and mothers whisper prayers over their children at night that we may not come to pillage their towns and wreck havoc with our guns and cannons and swords!!  So, buck up men, and prepare for battle.  We have a treasure to find, and no one and nothing will stand in the way of us recovering our rightful plunder!"

• Like 3

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Privacy is over-rated.  I haven't decided who's going where or shook hands on any alliance, but here's my pre-war survey and the tactics that one could assume by my current formations.  If you aren't interested in spying on the undead, then move on to the next post.  =)

Albretch leaves the crumbling tower he stole from his predecessor and surveys his armies.  Sharing the tower with him and making sure he isn't caught unaware like that fool Necrarch, the vampire component of his army is chomping at the bit to drive lances into any that would stand against him.  One squad, six blood knights.  Surrounding the tower is his personal guard, now 50 Grave Guard strong standing at the ready with shields at the ready.  As he leaves the tower, they move smoothly with him out to where his lesser troops are assembled.  He looks out at the masses and does a brief inventory.  

120 spear wielding skeletons divided into three squads and ready to lead the ranks marching forward but ready to plant their spears and accept charges from any foe; 50 dire wolves split into four packs of 20, 20, 5, and 5, ready to flank and harass his opponents, the smaller squad on each side slightly ahead of the large one to hit with a quick 1 and hard 2; 38 Fell Bats split into two squads of 19 that he intends to send out and harass any ranged attackers.

There are also three vehicles that he has never had the pleasure of sending into the field before.  One Black Chariot and two Corpse Carts ready for action. Both are ready to engage after the skeletal units have first met the enemy ranks, on the same line as his personal guard and Blood Knights squad.  He hopes the coming battle will be decided by more than the pawns this time and his real units will be given the chance to engage.

Finally, he comes over to inspect his most recently raised creatures.  1 pack of 5 Vargeists and a Varghulf.  The bestial flying bat vampires fit well into his armies.  They are the other "vampiric" portion of his army, although it isn't incredibly wrong to think of the Varghulf more as a winged ogre.  Their primary goal is to target and eliminate spell casting foes, ranged combatants the Fell bat squads are unable to drop, and flying forces that seek to engage his more valuable vehicles (and his personal guard if they seem too weak to defend the Master of the troops).  Provided they aren't frenzied handling units that can damage them and his second row from afar, however, he would prefer them to circle from above after any units with long range capabilities are eliminated from the battle.

Indeed, there is a glorious battle to come.  He would give his troops a speech if any other than his knights were possessed with enough sentience to comprehend his words.  He feels his magical link to the entries and ensures that he is well in control over this massive horde and looks forward to the taste of fresh blood.

Note: all internal thoughts of strategy are subject to change.  Especially after if I strategize with allies and decide what I am deploying where.  But dem's my troops, and I am neither hiding them nor trying to combat enemy divination attempts.  I would love to feed some spies to my hungry Varghulf though.  

120 skeletons (3x40)

38 Fell Bats (2x19)

5 Vargeists (1x5)

1 Varghulf (single unit)

---- normally on Flank

50 Dire Wolves (20,20,5,5)

---- normally second row for now

50 Grave Guard and commander (1x50)

6 Blood Knights (1x6)

2 Corpse Carts (2xsingle unit)

1 Black Chariot (single unit)

Vargeists

Vargheists1.jpg

Varghulf

Varghulf.jpg

That's roughly what I would've done last battle with more troops.  Along with my declaration of eternal love for the Curse of Nekhet and a reminder that I am a beast master.  Now, I need to seriously consider an offer of alliance and decide what all this stuff about splitting troops and claiming lands and what not means to my character, if anything.  =)  And get out of bed.  It's like 4:30 PM.

Thanks for all the pleasant chatter.

Oh, finding pictures of this stuff is fun.  Makes me wish I could paint.  I did ask my artistic wife if she would paint for me if I randomly came home with weird figurines, but she never gave me a straight answer.  It was more of an "If you came home after spending money on random fantasy figurines..." talk.  Granted, we are pretty broke right now, so I understand where that was coming from.

Black Coach

Black_Coach.jpg

Corpse Cart(s)

191990-Vampire%20Counts,%20Corpse%20Cart

And, I'm currently counting my army as 670 Rare, 1285 Special, and 1000 Core, which is well under half Special, just under 25% (739 is 25% of total) Rare, and well over 25% Core...  So, I think I'm assembling it all reasonably well.  I had to not turn in some driving yet for another Black Coach, since my Rare would've plunked up a bit too high.

• Like 2

Last post for now...  But, I do find it amusing how one page back I was complaining about the number of posts, and now there is like another whole page of posts by me.  (had to make up for not participating much in the last week, right?).  Either way, it took my mind off how bad my head hurts for a bit and cheered me up some too, so thanks for reading, skimming, or just skipping over my nonsense.  :)  

• Like 2

Well, you've added a whole other dimension to the battle preparations!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Yet we fear not the moon nor the stars.

We fear not the enemy that creeps by night.

For our bows are stout and our aim is true.

We are the ASUR, chosen of the gods, and WE WILL NEVER FALL!

Interesting, it would appear that "Malarielle of the High Elves" is more afraid of the Legions of Chaos than my mass of undead, so perhaps I will march at the side of a temporary ally.  Considering that I dislike the taste of the blood of those touched by the Chaos Gods, perhaps it would be best for me to march forward.  Maybe there's no need to rush away to my doffing so soon.  Perhaps I can deploy my troops and be a man of few words this week?

We fear no one!

------------------

(As I've said, she is kind of delusional).

The talk today went great! It helped that I repeated ("My sword is sharp and my arm is strong") in my head about 100 times while waiting for my turn to speak :-)

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

We fear no one!

------------------

(As I've said, she is kind of delusional).

The talk today went great! It helped that I repeated ("My sword is sharp and my arm is strong") in my head about 100 times while waiting for my turn to speak :-)

Awesome! Practicing speeches in front of one's cat(s) is highly recommended!

• Like 2

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

In the council, Khalith learned many things, not least of which was that the Amazon leadership had seen ahead to this day for many years and had prepared accordingly. Thalestris, in particular, seemed to take a very long view of Amazon security. And the Jaguar Mother made it very clear that Khalith would need to embrace the powers of vision and foresight that she had always possessed, but had denied for so long.

---

A single drum broke the silence of the temple square. One by one, other drums joined it, and the reverberations washed across the assembled warriors of Amazonia.

Khalith ascended the lower steps of the stone monument to the steady beat of the drums and a rising cacophony of Amazon war cries and animal sounds. This time, she strode ahead of the Jaguar Mother and the Amazon Queen and their attendants, as the champion of Amazonia, and wore the ancient and honored Blade of Khalith. When they reached the first and lowest stage of the platform, where the three coatls hovered, she stopped, turned, and raised her arms as the Jaguar Mother removed her magnificent rainbow-hued cloak of parrot feathers.

Blade raised to the sky, Khalith stood naked before them all and let them see the scars of a life lived as a warrior, as one of them. And she let them see the fresh, red scar that coursed between her breasts, a scar in the shape of a coatl.

A roar went up from the assembled warriors and spear shafts beat on the paving stones.

Khalith dropped her arms. The crowd quieted and watched as the attendants streaked her body with red and blue war paint.

"Warriors, we go to battle!" Khalith cried.

Another roar came up from the crowd as she whistled for her war beast. The giant black jaguar bounded up the steps, its body painted with the same daubs and streaks of paint. It stood by her side as she shouted, "For Amazonia!" and again raised her blade high.

Astride her battle jaguar, Khalith threw her head back and let out an ear piercing battle cry, then descended the steps into the mass of women warriors.

-----

Sorry, no video. :)

Scared the beejeezus out of the cats.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Dreghar prepared for battle, the she demon Val'ku'taa assisted him. She placed each piece of overlapping armor meticulously coating each with different oils. She moved along his body, pausing at each scar. She smiled, remembering each one just as Dreghar himself did. The battle to come was sure to be the origin of more, perhaps even worse.

"You will slay many enemies come morning, Slaanesh will be pleased with the offerings." 

Dreghar had been waiting for what already seemed like an eternity, everything had been set in motion. The coming battle would be glorious, blood would flow like a river and all for his pleasure. He held no illusions, he would be hard pressed to end the battle with victory. That mattered little however, for his power would grow nonetheless. Even if he was defeated, he would return again, prepared to continue his work. Val'ku'taa may have to wait for her gift, but Dreghar and the she demon had nothing but time.

As Dreghar was lost  in his own mind the she demon finished her work. She passed him his sword. As he grasped it Dreghar could feel the energy coursing through it. Just then the messenger entered. 

"You called for me sire?"

Dreghar motioned for the man to come closer, as he did Dreghar took a object wrapped in cloth and handed it to the man. The messengers eyes lit up with savage glee.

"I will not fail you."

The messenger hurried out of the fortress. Dreghar would never see him alive again. He stepped out from the fortress for the last time and moved to the front of his army. All the followers who would not fight had already left, seeking to infiltrate neighboring areas and spreading the will of chaos in their own ways.

Dreghar raised his sword high in the air signaling the march to the most epic battle this world has ever seen.

"To War."

Good luck to everybody tomorrow. I look forward to the results, and what schemes you have all come up with!

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

The PM says that DR can't get any more messages. Since time is running out, I'll be open and post here.

I’m sending my troops (all of ‘em!!) into Albion to fight Chaos.

Ranged troops will attack, avoiding melee for the first round if possible. They will follow Albion into battle (since Albion stands to gain the most). Aerial units will engage in melee on first round (Giant eagle and Skycutters). All other troops will engage in melee when attacked and when Albion units have fallen. Flanks will be guarded by Lothern sea guards (Left) and archers + 2 tiranoc chariots (Right).

(Unless specified…always fight first in melee)

Core: 21 Lothern sea guards, 20 Archers, 5 silver helms-LANCE (587, 31.6%)

Special: 5 Dragon princes, 4 Tiranoc Chariots-SPEAR (MOAR of those next week!!!), 4 Lothern skycutters-FLY (driving to the airport was good for something)  (805, 43.5%)

Rare: 3 Eagle claws, 5 Great Eagles-FLY

If my troops are attacked by anyone other than chaos troops, all other things being equal, the other enemy will become the primary target (double crossers and “snakes in the grassâ€).

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

The PM says that DR can't get any more messages. Since time is running out, I'll be open and post here.

I’m sending my troops (all of ‘em!!) into Albion to fight Chaos.

Ranged troops will attack, avoiding melee for the first round if possible. They will follow Albion into battle (since Albion stands to gain the most). Aerial units will engage in melee on first round (Giant eagle and Skycutters). All other troops will engage in melee when attacked and when Albion units have fallen. Flanks will be guarded by Lothern sea guards (Left) and archers + 2 tiranoc chariots (Right).

(Unless specified…always fight first in melee)

Core: 21 Lothern sea guards, 20 Archers, 5 silver helms-LANCE (587, 31.6%)

Special: 5 Dragon princes, 4 Tiranoc Chariots-SPEAR (MOAR of those next week!!!), 4 Lothern skycutters-FLY (driving to the airport was good for something)  (805, 43.5%)

Rare: 3 Eagle claws, 5 Great Eagles-FLY

If my troops are attacked by anyone other than chaos troops, all other things being equal, the other enemy will become the primary target (double crossers and “snakes in the grassâ€).

Dont worry I have long since sent my plans into DR. I would not cheat and alter them now, or even if you had posted these before me. Whats the fun in that?

I cant wait to see the results of the battle!

• Like 1

Just so you guys know my battle strategy was about 2 pages long, and so complicated and epic that I had to send photos. 

I gotta get something for that right? lol

• Like 2

yeah, I really need to up my workout load...I'm not so much as fielding an army but sending in a squad......

• Like 3

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Same issue PMing DR

Amazonia, in alliance with Albion, the High Elves, Vampires, and Dwarves, advances into battle against Dreghar.

The basic battle plan coordinates with Tregan's, and is:

Ranged troops shower down death upon chaos troops, fall back and continue barrage as long as possible until front line cavalry and infantry enter the fray. Flanks are guarded beastmasters and beasts. About a third of Amazon troops are held back for second wave, redistributing forces to break enemy front, if still holding, and hold Albion flanks. If these goals are being met, then use back line cavalry to break enemy flanks. Use Piranha warriors, beastmasters and jungle stalkers as scouts and skirmishers to get behind the enemy line and cause chaos in chaos...poison attacks by jungle stalkers.

Use terradon riders asap as front line cavalry so can use aerial capabilities in second round of melee, make sure the dumb "cold ones" get used early and to good advantage to support other, smarter troops.

Spells used to empower rare troops to make them powerful enough to break key points in the enemy line and to defeat Dreghar's big demon-ogre-dragon thing. (Shaggoth)

I'm still a little unclear how the spell thing works, so my objective is as above, primarily into increase the effectiveness of Medusa and Coatls to make them capable of taking out the Thing, if that is possible. I don't know if it is, otherwise, increase effectiveness in whatever is our weakest area as an allied group.

Priestess and Warrior Khadith's Spells to be attempted: Aim is to empower a unit (Coatl or Medusa) to take out the shaggoth, but only if that is potentially possible using that unit (does that make sense? I don't understand how this works and don't want to lose a key unit out of ignorance, likewise don't want to under use it either), otherwise as paragraph above

Singing Wind

Shield of Thorns

Embrace of the Serpent

Amazon troops sent to aid Albion - 3441 Total APV

1321 - Core, 1260 - Special, 860 - Rare

CORE 1321

1 Squad Amazon Warriors, 13 (91)

2 Squads Amazon Warriors, 20 each (280)

4 Squads Piranha Warriors, 10 each (400)

2 Squads Eagle Warriors, 10 each (220)

1 Squad Koka Kalim, 10 (90)

6 Squads Beast masters with Jaguar Pack 5 each (240)

SPECIAL 1260

2 Squads Jaguar Warriors, 20 each (400)

2 Squads Totem Guardians, 10 each (220)

2 Squads Jungle Stalkers, 10 each (280)

2 Squads Terradon Riders, 3 each (180)

2 Squads Cold Ones, 5 each (180)

RARE - 860

2 Squads Medusa, 3 each (360)

2 Squads Coatl, 1 each (500)

Squads that remain in Amazonia

Northern territory, 1010 APV

Core 360

2 Squads Amazon Warriors, 10 each (140)

2 Squads Piranha Warriors, 10 each (220)

Special 400

1 Squad Totem Guardians, 10 each (120)

2 Squads Jungle Stalkers, 10 each (280)

Rare 250

1 squad coatl, 1 (250)

Southern territory, unguarded

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir