Forums are back in action! ×

[Sept.15 - Oct. 26] There is only war: A Warhammer Fantasy PvP experiment

@ D_R - How soon can we put in our dibs for next time? I already know what I want to be! :)

I'll let you know. I'm considering of scrapping the allied combat rules and making nations exclusive per player; plenty of battles per week already and I don't think I could handle another mass combat. I'll sort things out and post the collected rules when I post the new thread next challenge

Aye but do I ressurect my Warhammer Quest character Brother Grimblood, or my 40k Ork Warboss Gorbok?

Tough decisions these, Brother Grimblood is a Khornate devotee.

We're in the WH Fantasy version here, so I suppose Brother Grimblood would fit it. Still, Orks are not that different from their 40K relatives, in case you're interested

Raider, if it is still the case that this thread/fighting season ends with this six week challenge and a new one will begin with the next 6 week challenge, is the map going to reset?

Probably yes. I am considering the importance of territories controlled and the levelling up process, they're all connected. Once that's sorted out, I'll let you all know. Also, I'm working on simplifying the combat system to allow me running the battles quickly, but if that doesn't work, I might take up your offer (and those of others) for help

Also, you do think Tilea might be available for the next round, I know you're super busy

It can be done, I have the army book already.

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Orcs and gobbos have some funky weapons, snotling pump wagon and my favourite the bat winged loonies. Oh and giants, trolls, boarboyz and wolfriders. Was looking at playing Fantasy when the dwarves were part of the starter box. Skull pass I think.

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Orcs and gobbos have some funky weapons, snotling pump wagon and my favourite the bat winged loonies. Oh and giants, trolls, boarboyz and wolfriders. Was looking at playing Fantasy when the dwarves were part of the starter box. Skull pass I think.

Makes the pirates seem tame by comparison!!

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

more questions precious.

Are units with more ranks than their enemy considered to by steadfast? if you flank or rear an enemy with a unit at least 5 wide 2 deep are they disrupted? do bretonnians get the lance formation?

No, no, no, no and no. Also, no :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm struggling for simplicity here, to keep things easy for people to understand and for me to manage. There's no such thing as ranks, hordes (squads of 50+ units) or steadfast. Also, no such thing as disruption and I'm even considering dropping the flanking rules, the way the mechanic is set up, they complicate more than they help, especially since we're not using a battle map, movement distance, range, maneuvers etc.

Other ideas include cutting down on the Medusa's 5/5/5 Ranged attack and processing the Melee phase before the shooting phase. That way, units would only get shot during round 2. Next round they can get into melee, while ranged units can exchange shots and gun down any disengaged retreating enemies

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Other ideas include cutting down on the Medusa's 5/5/5 Ranged attack 

Picard-YES-meme.jpg

• Like 3

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

@ Cn3 - I have 1 unit with 5 melee and 1 with 5 ranged, both rare, 3 with 5 or higher defense. You have 7 with 5 melee and 9 with 5 or higher defense. Go die already. Geez.

I have to admit the pic is funny though.

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I'm sorry. That came out a lot harsher than I intended. I apologize.

-----

I'm really cranky this morning. In bed and full of medicine with bronchitis. Damn. Had such big plans for this week. :(

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

that escalated quickly

yep!

------------------------------

Malarielle sheathed her sword as she surveyed the devastation around her. She turned to the seasoned Amazon warrior, scarred, tattooed and backed by wild women and creatures of the jungle. For a human, that one had lived a great deal. Malarielle grasped her by the forearm as she said, “I hope to see you again my sister.† She held out her hand toward the generals of Albion. She still didn’t understand their nature. Why such mystery? They were only human, what secrets could they possibly hold? She faced Okri and bowed politely, if a bit stiffly. The dwarves seemed to grumble more than necessary, but they had certainly fought bravely. Strictly speaking there was no real need for allies to like one another…she pondered this a bit.

Lost in thought, it took a moment to notice the cold gaze on her from afar. She looked up and met the cold eyes of Albretch von Carstein. She felt a sharp pain in her chest as a bit of her soul was pulled toward the necromancer, and then a slow easing and warmth as it drew back into her own essence. He was powerful and pure evil. She stared him down a moment and then deliberately looked away, hoping never again to see those eyes.

She walked back to where her troops had gathered. “We have had a great victory today against the very spawn of Chaos. But our enemies are many, and they do not sleep. We shall return home. We must gather our strength, do a lot of squats [no she didn’t really say that!], and prepare for what will come.â€

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I vote against nerfing ranged units as half my army and all my coolest stuff is ranged. Also rucking is too hardcore for me so I can't recruit ironbreakers lol.

Okri returns Malarielle's bow with some surprise. "I am very pleased with our alliance's performance this day. We all fought hard" (sideways glance at the vampire) "and we are reaping the benefit of our victory now. Do not mistake this as the end however, chaos is not so easily destroyed. We must track this creature back to the den it crawled from and utterly destroy it. Our work is not yet finished."

Okri downs his mug of ale and stomps over to the desicated ruins of the chaos general's corpse. After some contemplation he turns and walks back to his steamships calling over his shoulder "I am off to gather more of my kin, the Dwarfs are on the march!"

After buying the new army book for the Dwarfs this weekend and reading up on our backstory I am happy to see that they are no longer a "declining race" sitting in their halls and waiting for doom to come. Dwarfs are on a war of reclamation to regain their lost mountain homes and I love that I can roleplay as such here. After years of being stay at home couch potatoes the Dwarfs are on the move! We may be few but we are mighty!

Shooting should only really be effective for about 2 rounds, if less it isn't worth taking at all and if more then it is unbalanced with melee armies... just my opinion. (thinking back to the 1 kill my grudge thrower did in the first round of our battle when it costs 80 reps to get it)

• Like 2

Okri Kadrinsson ~ Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

Str 2  Dex 1   Sta 1   Con 3   Wis 2   Cha 1

Challenge Commander Kidd's first adventurer challenge

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.†

― J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit

DR...after this challenge, I know we are starting a new thread, but is the map completely resetting? We are wondering whether it's ok to think short-term strategy or if we need to position ourselves for a future cycle.

I believe the plan is to reset the map each time. 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

DR...after this challenge, I know we are starting a new thread, but is the map completely resetting? We are wondering whether it's ok to think short-term strategy or if we need to position ourselves for a future cycle.

Not only the map, but also your units are going to reset, so don't be afraid to get them out there ;)

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker